Dewalt DW078 rotary laser doesn’t spin any more

deedub35

I have had this laser level for a while now. I haven’t used in a bit though. Brought it out this week as I was starting a deck build. Everything powers up and lights up but the head doesn’t spin. Any similar experiences, suggestions, or solutions? If not a trip to the service center I guess. Might not even be worth fixing?

48F39C51-365A-4E82-8264-FE0730C08CE8.jpeg

11 hours ago, framer said:

is there a button to turn the spin on??

No. It’s pretty basic - press the button, wait for it to self calibrate, and then it should start spinning. That’s what it used to do.

I’m sure it’s something internal. I’ll see what the service repair says. 

Last week I had the unit screwed to the ledger board and I had to manually aim the laser dot towards the footings so I could get the post height. I only had 3 posts but I was by myself and it was annoying going back and forth to get this laser dot to hit the grade rod.

My colleague who is a home builder is going to lend me his for my next deck build in two weeks. 

I’m not going to buy another one because I don’t use it much at all. I only do one or two decks a year - I’m more into bathrooms and kitchens.

With that said if the repair

cost is too much I’ll just bin this POS.

• 2 years later...