Makita 12v

Textoolguy

If reused the Makita 10.8 but switched long ago. Compact tool, comfortable but with Milwaukee and Bosch the choice in tools and batteries making a choice a lot easier. I've never used Metabo but I have read and heard of the quality of the line, just not available in NH USA. I currently run Milwaukee M12 tools and Bosch and absolutely love them.

One other thing I have to clear up is over here the manufacturers have to be much more honest so a 10.8v can not be advertised as a 12v.

So for me the Metabo with its 4 ah batteries is the best of the bunch and I have the impact which I can say for real is as powerful as you will ever need for day to day pro work all day every day all year it has blasted in 3 inch wood screws, M10 bolts and tech screws and not missed a beat guys. 

My pal's Dewalt died in 2 days doing the same job.

And the Bosch died after a week.

Mine is still going a year later.

See Wayne, I wish they sold Metabo over here. I've never seen them at any of our stores, even Hitachi is tough to find outside of Lowes. I'd love to try one out.. Now that milwaukee will be offering the 4.0 battery, I am curious to see if there will be a power increase.

Makita makes nice 12v tools, but they really are not expanding or updating the line of tools. I wonder if they are going to relaunch eventualy with the converion to brushless down the road.

I predicted that they would make a big 12V push this year. We'll see I suppose.

Makita may be a sleeping giant. Look at what Milwaukee has pulled off over the last 2 or 3 years. They were way back in the pack after all the issues they had with their V series stuff. They sprang to life and now they have the best lineup on the market. Makita may just be biding their time waiting for a lot of the anticipated Fuel and 20V Max releases to settle down before they set the tool world on fire. Then again, maybe they're just more worried about their racing team like Dan says. Maybe they're reluctant to unveil a new line because of the economy? I don't know what the answer is, but only time will tell.

Yeah that is true. You would think that expanding a line that is more budget friendly than their 18v lxt line for homeowners and contractors would be a sure thing. Dewalt finally jumped on the band wagon with their 12v line and it seems to be expanding rather quickly. The M12 line is such a diverse line for EVERYONE. I've got the multi tool and rotary that are incredible tools that even I a diy type get great use of. So only time will tell but even look to Bosch and their ever expanding line and you have to wonder why! Another question, will Ridgid get on the ball too? I know they have that multi head tool but some solid single use performers seem to be what is popular.

The I think the total mumber of M12 tools is 60 or more  now. Although, they are probably counting older versions of the same tool. Rigid is a funny thing they are made by TTI so they have acess to the milwaukee tech, but home depot decides on what gets released so we end up not having much tool slection. The Makita Ltx line is the biggest 18 volt system out there at the moment. What probably stopped me from getting makita is the local HD's don't seem to stock much of the line here just a few of them a few cordless and corded tools Dewalt milwaukee rigid and ryobi have huge displays and endcaps. Poor lowes is stuck with the warmed over porter cable 20v tools that are just reskined dewalt 20v tools which the allready carry these exclusivity deals really suck.

I like Makita LXT tools but...just pick up an M18 impact (not even the brush less version). The tool is solid. The quality is there in both ,machines but the Milwaukee seems tougher. Metal chucks on the light weight drills, metal shrouds, four pole motors (Makita too) just seem better

With the kobalt line I think they are more concerned about price than features/tech its a diy/semi pro tool.

I have one question why do the tool companies still offer non hammer drill models? An example is the new m12 fuel drill line the diffrence in price is 10 bucks between the 2 tools if you got rid of the extra design manufacturing and stocking of another model you could offer the hammer drill at the same price as the non hammer drill version. Is there a reason not to buy the hammer drill version that im missing? I just don't get it personaly as a way to save 10 bucks. I know some people don't deal with masonary that often, but it could come in handy at a later date.

With the kobalt line I think they are more concerned about price than features/tech its a diy/semi pro tool.

I have one question why do the tool companies still offer non hammer drill models? An example is the new m12 fuel drill line the diffrence in price is 10 bucks between the 2 tools if you got rid of the extra design manufacturing and stocking of another model you could offer the hammer drill at the same price as the non hammer drill version. Is there a reason not to buy the hammer drill version that im missing? I just don't get it personaly as a way to save 10 bucks. I know some people don't deal with masonary that often, but it could come in handy at a later date.

I personally wouldn't buy a drill that didn't have a hammer mode, but there are people out there that don't need it and don't like it. Most of the cite weight as an issue, but the minimal additional weight never bothered me any.

Yeah, I'm with Conductor in that. For instance the M12 Milwaukee Hammer and Drill driver do have a size difference and weight, not much but when you hold the two drills side by side the hammer is slightly longer. Personally, the size difference is so small I went with the hammer, the function is awesome and although I have an 18v hammer why not have a 12v too? However, my 12v is mostly for assemble work and using the Kreg jig so I could see why people might not want the hammer. I think in the end, having two options boils down to selling. They can mark the other tool for a minuscule amount and people think they are getting a deal.

Speaking of store brand power tools, it didn't take Kobalt long to cool off. Haven't heard anything about them for a while now.

You know that is a good point too Conductor...my Lowes was really pushing the product and then they kind of took the end cap displays out and started marking the prices way down. I see PC, Dewalt, Hitachi and Bosch end cap displays but the Kobalt stuff is buried in the cordless tool aisle. I know TiA did a review of their drill compared to HD's (I think Ridgid is way better) and the overall impression was good but the product push seemed to just peter out.