Recommend me a stripper!

DiverDn

The title does not say it all!

I'm looking for recommendations on wire strippers.

I'm going to do the wiring in a pole barn shop that I'm going to have built this winter and would like a recommendation on a good set of wire strippers for the romex.

Any other tools that I need to do the wiring job for the shop?

I will have an electrician set the service and check out all of my work, but I can handle hanging boxes, pulling wires and doing the connections.

thanks,

John

Do yourself a favor, and get a pair designed specifically for stripping 12/2 and 14/2 NM-B (Romex). Milwaukee sent me a pair of the 48-22-3070's that I ended up loving, and use daily professionally. The Ideal 45-621's are also excellent, and would be the general consensus choice on the electrical contractor forums. Sure, there are other ways to do it, but none easier - especially for a novice. I prefer the Milwaukee's because they are forged, as opposed to stamped, making them much more stout for looping 12awg, but many pro's avoid Chinese whenever possible.

• 2 weeks later...

I personally prefer klien wire strippers and

Ive never had a problem with the grips, but I use a katapult 90% of the time and mostly use regular strippers for removing the sheathing.  The milwaukee's are more handy in general as they have more features.  I use them for punch list type stuff so i dont have to carry around as many tools, but the quality was pretty bad on the ones I got.  Definatly not to knipex or klein standards which is off putting to me, but they are functional.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/15/2017 at 5:43 PM, DiverDn said:

The title does not say it all!

I'm looking for recommendations on wire strippers.

I'm going to do the wiring in a pole barn shop that I'm going to have built this winter and would like a recommendation on a good set of wire strippers for the romex.

Any other tools that I need to do the wiring job for the shop?

I will have an electrician set the service and check out all of my work, but I can handle hanging boxes, pulling wires and doing the connections.

thanks,

John

It's a good thing you clarified that. I was going to recommend a lady named Candy. lol, sorry; I couldn't help myself.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I just recently purchased the Knipex automatic wire strippers and LOVE them. With that said for what you are doing the Klien Kurve Romex strippers (the ones with the yellow handle) are exactly what you need(also own them and also love them). As for other tool get your self a good pair of Klien Lines man pliers.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/16/2017 at 8:58 AM, sparky603 said:

Do yourself a favor, and get a pair designed specifically for stripping 12/2 and 14/2 NM-B (Romex). Milwaukee sent me a pair of the 48-22-3070's that I ended up loving, and use daily professionally. The Ideal 45-621's are also excellent, and would be the general consensus choice on the electrical contractor forums. Sure, there are other ways to do it, but none easier - especially for a novice. I prefer the Milwaukee's because they are forged, as opposed to stamped, making them much more stout for looping 12awg, but many pro's avoid Chinese whenever possible.

These are really good tips. I use this tool myself, it is good.