Metabo cordless 9" grinder

method

I was looking at purchasing a cordless 9 inch grinder. I held the new Milwaukee yesterday and it feels nice but the fact the body doesn't twist puts me off it a bit (I'm use to my corded and cordless metabo grinders rotating). No one down here in .au seems to stock the Metabo so was looking for anyone who has one who can give me some feedback on it? The other downside is that as always, we seem to get the crap here and can only order the twin 18v version and not the 36v (single battery) version. Any comments would be appreciated.

Don't even know off any decent extensive review on the unit 

Now... Tech wise and grinder experience wise I'm gonna take an educated guess that it's by far the best cordless grinder out there. Don't think it'll let you down in anyway.

The Makita 9 grinder is Abit of a toy compared to the metabo yet my customers are satisfied with it so the metabo should be excellent :)

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies, I've seen the flexvolt saw advertised but haven't had a chance to hold it/test it. Not sure how it would go with grinding though? Most of the videos online show it cutting green concrete or tube/rebar. I'd be interested in the run time of it with 9/12ah batteries.

• 3 weeks later...

I've contacted a few retailers here and none of them have any idea when the 8.0ah battery packs will be out even though it says they are available on metabo website. I wonder why metabo is now the one playing catch up in terms of amp hours, although, having said that, I have original 4ah metabo batteries at least 6 years old and I could swear they out perform some other 5ah platforms I own, even though they are extremely well used!

I've contacted a few retailers here and none of them have any idea when the 8.0ah battery packs will be out even though it says they are available on metabo website. I wonder why metabo is now the one playing catch up in terms of amp hours, although, having said that, I have original 4ah metabo batteries at least 6 years old and I could swear they out perform some other 5ah platforms I own, even though they are extremely well used!
Where are you located? I have the Metabo 8.0ah batteries. They are available in the US from Ohio Power Tool and Toolbarn.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I just received an email from metabo, the 8.0ah will be coming out early 2019! Such a shame, I held the cordless 9" and it felt so much nicer than the Milwaukee. I didn't want to purchase without 8.0ah batteries. The extra juice over the 7.0 @ 36v makes enough of a difference for me to decide not to purchase. Any ideas why metabo is playing catch up to milwaukee and dewalt in terms of battery capacity here down under? Even AEG has a 9ah battery available at Bunnings!

I used the grinder for several brief periods over the last few days. The grinder definitely feels powerful and as I trusted, the rotating handle works wonders. The grinder has a soft start, it takes a few seconds to power right up and is noticeably slower to rev to full speed with a brand new grinding disc installed as opposed to the slitting discs. Spark guard works as designed.

Removal of material is fast when grinding.  Those who use different size grinders will know the difference between a 9" and anything smaller and the difference is impressive being cordless. With enough pressure, the grinder does cut out with the overload light coming on (when grinding) but by letting the tool do all of the work it never stopped. You will not get more than 5-10 minutes of hard grinding and that was with the 7.0ah batteries. If ever Metabo make some 12ah batteries, the grinder would be much better. I cut approximately 1 meter of 4mm steel very quickly with a cutting disc and the batteries did not lose any charge. When the 7.0 LiHD batteries went flat, I threw on my old original 4.0AH batteries. Power wise I couldn't actually notice a difference over the brand new LiHD batteries and the 4's are 6 years old. One other strange thing I noticed was that I seemed to be able to push the 4.0's a lot harder than the LiHD 7's without the grinder going into protection mode. I am wondering if there is some additional circuitry in the LiHD's that prevent them from being pushed?

Overall, I was very impressed and having the option to use two 18v batteries I actually prefer as opposed to having to buy new 36V batteries and charges. The only issue is we need more watt hours, at least >300 or even 400+. I modified my T536 LiXP husky to have a 14" bar with a standard size chain as opposed to a mini chain and with the 9.4ah 36v battery the power and run time is perfect which is why I think we need much more wh.

• Like 1

The worst thing about the metabo cordless 9" grinder is the case handle. I once had another tool case like this although I can't remember the brand. As in the picture, when you use the handle and put the grinder down onto it's side it squashes your fingers and nails between the handle and the big moulded piece of plastic! With almost 10 discs, the grinder, 6 batteries and tools in the case it sure isn't light! If anyone from Metabo ever stumbles across this, please make a note of it!

20181006_184718.jpg

• Haha 1

Juat an update for anyone considering purchasing. I cut concrete and bricks with a diamond blade and it powers through like butter. I cut 4 meters of brickwork and the 7.0ah only used 1 bar of battery. For a rating of only 1ah more than some of my flexvolt 6.0ah batteries, the lihd 7's seem to last like a 9ah flexvolt battery. The more I've used it the more impressive the tool is.

• 3 weeks later...

I can definitely now confirm that after much use, the LiHD batteries keep a more consistent load on the tool. The 7.0ah also lasted almost three times longer than two sets of 4.0ah batteries when cutting 100x100 SHS 8mm thick. Loving this tool! Just wish metabo would hurry up and release the 8.0ah batteries! 

• Like 2

• 8 months later...
On 10/30/2018 at 8:59 PM, method said:

I can definitely now confirm that after much use, the LiHD batteries keep a more consistent load on the tool. The 7.0ah also lasted almost three times longer than two sets of 4.0ah batteries when cutting 100x100 SHS 8mm thick. Loving this tool! Just wish metabo would hurry up and release the 8.0ah batteries! 

You get any 8.0ah batteries yet ? Have you look at Metabo’s 7” cordless grinder ? It has the same depth of cut as a 9”. 

On another note 100x100 shs doesn’t come in 8mm thick, there’s  6mm and 9mm

On 10/30/2018 at 8:59 PM, method said:

If you want maximum power for the 9” 5.5ah put out more power than 8.0s. Obviously 8.0s will give longer runtime 

• 1 month later...

Haven't been on here in ages! Would have been 9mm, I measured with my multitool at the time so not the most accurate. I haven't purchased any 8's yet. I see one store has a good deal on at the moment, 2 8's and an ultra charger for $500 I think it was so I might pick them up. I haven't used their 7" but prefer 9” anyway as the wheels are more readily available, last longer, especially when grinding and I get them very cheap these days. 

Where did you find the info that the 5.5s push out more amps than the 8.0's?

I had my DeWalt dcs690 cut off tool stolen last week, rumours have it that a 12" model is coming out soon so I will not repurchase for as long as I can in hope it will be here before Xmas.