Nut Drivers

firefighter4187

I had a full set of Klein drivers. I sold them off a few months back because I didn't use them much. Klein pretty much rules the net driver market though. I'd either go with them or one of the German brands like Wiha or Wera. I do recommend a cushioned grip though.

They look really nice. I haven't used them, but my experience with Milwaukee hand tools has been positive. Dan is a big fan of their hand tools. I'd say they're worth considering, but again, no person experience to fall back on.

Yea I read a lot of sparkies are running away from Klein to Wera and Whia. I have some Klein tools that work great. I learned my lesson on cheap wire strippers cut my forehead open from the force to strip the wire, and the worst part was I was going to pick up the Klein wire strippers but I decided not too because I was all most done with the project. The Milwaukee hallow core nut drivers do look interesting though for guys that need that kind of driver.

Milwaukee is coming out with hollow shafts as well, saw it on another tool review website. I will be honest, I was disappointed in the feel of the 6 in 1 stubby klein screwdriver I bought. It works well, but the grip feels cheap for a klein product.

Milwaukee is coming out with hollow shafts as well, saw it on another tool review website. I will be honest, I was disappointed in the feel of the 6 in 1 stubby klein screwdriver I bought. It works well, but the grip feels cheap for a klein product.

That's because it is. It's made in China like a lot of other Klein products as of late.

I have a bunch of Proto insulated stuff (big surprise huh). Klein is by far the biggest name in electrical tools, however, I personally feel Klein is headed down hill. They still make their core products here, but the number of import tools seems to grow all the time. When this shit started I emailed Klein and got a standard line bullshit response about how "advances in Asian manufacturing processes have afforded Klein the opportunity to offer their professional customers the quality they demand, at a lower price point than ever before" and assured me "it was necessary to remain competitive on certain items and that Klein had never closed a US manufacturing facility". YET I'm guessing. I don't know what all this "price point" shit is about, but I haven't noticed Klein tools at lowered prices. I'm a COO guy, I admit that, and while I'm all about American made tools, I do understand that Asian tools aren't always crap and they do have they're place. I own a few Asian made items, hell, I like some of them (Tekton comes to mind), but I'm not paying $15 for a fucking screwdriver or $35-$40 for a pair of pliers that have "Made in China", Taiwan, or any damn place except the United fucking States of America! I will make occasional exceptions for european made tools such as Germany, England, France, and Spain, as they aren't made as cheaply as possible by helpless citizens who are exploited as a people for profit and whose places of employment have a suicide rate significant enough to require suicide counter measures. If the item is something I need on occasion but can't afford or justify the price of a professional brand, I expect it to be priced accordingly. If I'm buying Asian pliers I expect them to be $10. Klein expects me to pay USA prices for Asian made tools and it just isn't happening.   

Now that that's over, Facom (a French professional brand owned by Stanley/Proto) has a tremendous selection of insulated tools including sockets, ratchets, combo and service wrenches, and just about everything else you can think of. 

Oh, I almost forgot! During my internet tool related travels, I ran across a guy who worked for Klein. He claims that the previous owner (a generation of the Klein family) was a tool guy and was committed to keeping quality at a premium and USA made the standard. According to this fellow, he was forced out by other family interest who were concerned with maximizing profits and were willing to reduce quality to do it. He felt that his days with the company were numbered and feared a more significant move to Asia was inevitable. Is he right or is he full of shit? I can't say, but it was the only contact from inside the company I have to go on other than the bullshit customer service form letter.