Does Anyone Still Read Magazines? Which Ones?

fm2176

A lot of stores still have magazine racks, though I rarely see anyone perusing them.  Let's face it, the smart phone and internet have largely supplanted books, magazines, and even TV as many people's hobby (or distraction) of choice.  From the 1990s until probably five or so years ago I regularly bought magazines, with the requisite stack in the bathroom and a few usually near the bed and chair.  I had a subscription to the print edition of Game Informer until a couple of years ago, despite rarely playing video games, and also subscribed to The Family Handyman for a year or two.  As a life member, I was getting VFW Magazine (and need to change the address as that house has since been sold), and also got American Rifleman during the couple of annual memberships I had with the NRA.  Admittedly, I was "that guy" that kept all of my magazines, so I have literal time capsules of mid-1990s video game news and twenty-plus year old gun magazines showing off the latest and greatest tactical guns allowed under the now expired Assault Weapons Ban of 1994.  There's also the collection of '80s-'90s Playboys, probably mildewed over in my garage down south.  Over the years I have cut down on my archives quite a bit, and I'll probably have another big bonfire in the coming months.

Now, the only magazine I make a habit of buying is The Backwoodsman.  Sadly, it is one of the few magazines that isn't a glorified ad nowadays.  Years ago, I was an avid reader of American Survival Guide (ASG).  I still have some issues from the 1990s and though some date themselves the articles were pretty good, with ads that supplemented the content.  In 2013, I found ASG at the Bagram Exchange.  Different look, and come to find out entirely different magazine, with articles recommending high priced survival gear that many true survivalists can't afford, or at least wouldn't spend money on.  In 2003, while in Iraq, I looked forward to getting Shotgun News and Small Arms Review, both of which were informative and greatly increased my knowledge of firearms (including identifying the first vz. 58 we captured, which everyone else thought was a weird AK).  Now, it's been years since I last even bothered looking for those publications.  The Backwoodsman is a great mix of practical survival and bushcraft articles, frontier tales, firearms reviews and recommendations, and DIY stuff.  Past articles include everything from building a cabin from pallets to making a dugout canoe.  Sadly, the founder recently died, but his son is carrying the tradition forward, and most ads are family owned enterprises like book and knife stores.

I personally consider the Family Handyman to still be worth a read on occasion, as last I checked the price isn't as high as a lot of other magazines, and there are some good articles and how-to guides.  Most others, though, regardless of subject matter, seem to be little more than shills for whoever places ads or sponsors them.  Maybe that 2013 copy of ASG ruined me on modern magazines, as reading about how I "need" this $200 item to survive three days in the wilderness just seems ridiculous (not to mention how poorly a lot of modern commercial items hold up these days).  With that stated though, does anyone else enjoy the occasional magazine, and if so, which ones do you recommend?

10 hours ago, Anthony75 said:

Hi , I just renewed my woodsmith subscription. I subscribed to it in 1981 and really enjoyed learning from it.  

That's great!  I know there are a few long running magazines out there that are still worth buying.  I'll have to check Woodsmith out.

• 1 month later...

Hello , just an update . I recently decided to try Woodsmith again . I stated it was ad free , well it’s not  anymore. I was so let down . The look and feel is 100% different . Content is still good but … not sure I’ll go through with it . Anyway just wanted to give an update .

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Anthony75 said:

Hello , just an update . I recently decided to try Woodsmith again . I stated it was ad free , well it’s not  anymore. I was so let down . The look and feel is 100% different . Content is still good but … not sure I’ll go through with it . Anyway just wanted to give an update .

That's true of nearly any long-running magazine.  While American Survival Guide went under years ago and the newer publication wasn't related, most magazines I read in the '80s are vastly different and full of ads.