DeWalt 1/2” Mid vs High Impact (DC899 vs DCF894)

Hey guys, new to the forum and looking for some insight.

I just got out of school and started work and am looking to start expanding my tool collection, decided to go with DeWalt which I’ve grown up with. I work construction management but I try to do misc. work on the side mainly involving trucks and motorsport stuff. I have the 1/4” DeWalt and love it, but I am looking to get a 1/2” for lug nuts and similar work. I’ve tried researching for awhile on the mid vs high impact, but can’t anything really confirmative or recent on the topic. 

I know the mid will handle lug nuts and 98% of what I do, but if the high will do the job easier and not have to work as hard I’m all for it. There is a very rare chance I would use it on some farm equipment (tractor wheels, recently had to borrow a Milwaukee M18 high impact to swap leaf springs on an old rusted / fire damaged cattle trailer and it made a 6 hour job into 1, loved that) but if that mid would do the same work I’m for it. Reckon it would also fill in the 3/8” gap between the two.

How have your experiences been between these two tools after a few years of use? Pros? Cons? Looks like right now there is a $50 difference between the two. Would go with detent pin most likely. 

If you're not using the tool on a regular basis I would say get the high torque.  If you were using it every day and the mid torque did 98% of your work then I would say it's not worth lugging around the high torque but it sounds like it's a specialty tool for you either way.  So you might as well have the big dog that does everything, especially if you're getting into tractor wheels and suspension components.  Sometimes even the high torque can get quite a workout on bigger rusty fasteners.

• Like 1

Hello and welcome.

One YouTube channel that can definitely answer all your questions is the Torque Test Channel where they test out both air powered and battery powered impacts of all kinds.

Here’s a battle of high torques……

In each case, the Milwaukee outperformed, and if this is gonna be the tool making you money, maybe just go all out at the start and not fiddle around with other brands?

• Like 1

I only have the DeWalt 12v Max Xtreme 3/8" impact wrench, my other three are M18 Fuel.  So, while I can't speak for DeWalt, I can say that if I had to choose between my Fuel mid torque and high torque, I'd go with the latter.  I'd rather have and not need than find myself with a tool that can't handle that one job.  The newer Fuel (2767) is slightly smaller but more powerful than its predecessor (2763).

As a forklift mechanic years ago I had to rely on what I had.  My trusty Ingersoll Rand 231 1/2" impact handled almost every job, but on occasion I had to break out the 3/4" Chicago Pneumatic, and if that failed it was a six-foot cheater bar (I broke a few ratchets and breaker bars this way).  If I went back on the road tomorrow, I'd definitely take the high torque.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, fyrfytr998 said:

Hello and welcome.

One YouTube channel that can definitely answer all your questions is the Torque Test Channel where they test out both air powered and battery powered impacts of all kinds.

Here’s a battle of high torques……

In each case, the Milwaukee outperformed, and if this is gonna be the tool making you money, maybe just go all out at the start and not fiddle around with other brands?

Man wow that was a pretty eye opening test. I didn't realize there was an age gap with the mid range among other things that the video mentioned. If I didn't already have DeWalt gear and was planning on using these to make a living I would've gone with Milwaukee, but either the way this video has sold me on the high impact. Wonder if DeWalt is planning on releasing new versions of either one soon. 

1 hour ago, PineyChapelPiddler said:

Man wow that was a pretty eye opening test. I didn't realize there was an age gap with the mid range among other things that the video mentioned. If I didn't already have DeWalt gear and was planning on using these to make a living I would've gone with Milwaukee, but either the way this video has sold me on the high impact. Wonder if DeWalt is planning on releasing new versions of either one soon. 

If you look around the channel, DeWalt has been going hard on the newer Sub Compact line of Impacts to go with their Stacked batteries. I would say it’s safe to assume full size offerings are coming out summer and fall maybe?

3 hours ago, fyrfytr998 said:

If you look around the channel, DeWalt has been going hard on the newer Sub Compact line of Impacts to go with their Stacked batteries. I would say it’s safe to assume full size offerings are coming out summer and fall maybe?

@PineyChapelPiddler ask and he shall receive. Hot off the presses……DeWalt’s newest Mid Torque.

Holy Driver, this thing just took over 1st place from the 40v Makita!! By a Lot. I can only imagine the numbers the new High Torque are gonna drop!!

• Thanks 1

Just saw the torque test channels new video about the new dewalt mid torque and came here to update but someone already beat me to it.  This new mid torque would be pretty tempting but then again there has been rumor of a new dewalt high torque coming out too but who knows when.  I still think when it comes to things like tractor wheels, a high torque is going to serve you better than even this new mid torque.

• Like 1