New here...obviously...

Kato

Obviously I'm new here, otherwise I wouldn't be starting an "Introduce yourself" thread. Anyhow, maintenance mechanic for around 28 years, professional photographer, "sharp stuff" collector (knives, swords, anything with an edge), and martial artist. I like tools, so any forum related to tools I have to at least give a look-see.

So, yup, me, new here, like tools, uhhh, really like tools, and hi. Think that covers it

My newly revamped work area in the garage...

11934973874_f660f1d2b6_b.jpg

Thanks, it's been through a pretty big transformation over the past few months. I keep going in there and finding something to revamp, so since early November there's been a lot of changes. Here's a Flickr set with photos, although I never thought to take before shots from the way I had it before I made the workbench.

The shelf over the workbench, I used to have another one under it, and that's where I had the grinder and other stuff. The "work table" was basically the top of the toolbox, and we had all kinds of stuff in the garage like an elliptical and whatnot. Was a real pain in the neck working in there, and it always got under my skin because I like a clean and organized work area. Finally got sick of screwing around with the elliptical and bikes and stuff, went out and re-organized the shed and put the bikes in there, and took apart the elliptical and shoved it way back in the corner of the garage. That gave me floor space, and then I went to work on making a decent workbench.

Funny thing is that I already had the small table made, and when I made the workbench it turned out that the space between the garage door and workbench was perfect to fit the table. Put it on wheels and now it's pinned to the workbench, and I can unpin it and move it around if need be. Everything else was a slow transformation here or there, making the battery rack, mounting the power tools, all just stuff I did because it popped into my head. At least the power tool mounts were a brilliant idea, using the shells form the old Ryobi NiCad piece of junk batteries to hang the tools.

Thank guys. I don't drink much so I'll have a vanilla iced coffee instead, and so far I've enjoyed the site. As for organized, I'm pretty OCD when it comes to keeping work areas cleaned and organized. I've fired people for not putting tools away.

That is some camera you got there, those pictures are really clear!

I don't want to utter any lame photographer quotes but "It's not the camera, it's the person using it.". People saying "Your camera takes great pictures" is like saying "Your stove makes great meals"...and the pics of my garage suck, look through my Flickr and you'll see some pretty good stuff. If you're into cars and bikes there's plenty of that.

Welcome Kato! Nice looking shop. I'm a little OCD myself.

What kind if hand tools are you into?

I like my Gearwrench stuff, can't stand non-ratcheting wrenches, they're like caveman tools to me. I like Stanley too, and considering Stanley and Gearwrench have lifetime warranties just like Crapman you can't go wrong. I have a bunch of Craftsman stuff that I got from my cousin, but I'll always love and go to my Gearwrench sets first. I'm a power tool kind of guy though, I'd rather throw a socket on the drill/driver instead of using a ratchet, kinda lazy like that I guess.

I like my Gearwrench stuff, can't stand non-ratcheting wrenches, they're like caveman tools to me. I like Stanley too, and considering Stanley and Gearwrench have lifetime warranties just like Crapman you can't go wrong. I have a bunch of Craftsman stuff that I got from my cousin, but I'll always love and go to my Gearwrench sets first. I'm a power tool kind of guy though, I'd rather throw a socket on the drill/driver instead of using a ratchet, kinda lazy like that I guess.

I understand, but I'm the hand tool guy around here it seems. I love my ratchets…..all 30 some of them :lol:

As for ratcheting wrenches, they are great, but I wouldn't want them as my primary set though. I guess I'm a little old school, but the thickness of the rim on the box end restricts ratcheting combos in close quarters. 

The Gearwrench brand is being expanded. The tools formerly sold under the KD label have been merged into the GW catalog and soon there will be no such thing as KD. GW is a decent quality import brand, just hope Apex doesn't cheapen it up all to shit like the do most other things.  

I thought KD was dead. I have some 1/4 inch drive sockets and they are great. I wouldn't want ratcheting wrenches as a primary set either. I haven't used mine in over six months due to the fact that they are much thicker and won't fit or I will just use my ratchet. They are great when you can use them though

• Like 1

I don't find any issues with getting into tight areas with the Geawrenches, in fact I've gotten them into tight spots where a standard wrench wouldn't fit. But, everyone has a favorite, nothing wrong with that. The Gearwrench tap and die set I have is my absolute favorite thing out of any tool I own. I keep it clean, obsessively clean. It looks like I never use it but I use it all the time.

Well, I try to keep all of my stuff clean, that's the way I am. But, the tap and die set, I'm a little overboard with the cleanliness of that. Even used it for some practice shooting in the lightbox...

6040077240_a267ceaeb6_b.jpg

I understand, but I'm the hand tool guy around here it seems. I love my ratchets…..all 30 some of them :lol:

I had a nice collection of hand tools, mostly Armstrong and Proto. I sold off my box because of hard times, moved around a bunch, and the tools were the first things stolen... :(

Slowly I'm building the collection back up.

I had a nice collection of hand tools, mostly Armstrong and Proto. I sold off my box because of hard times, moved around a bunch, and the tools were the first things stolen... :(

Slowly I'm building the collection back up.

Proto and Armstrong, can't go wrong there.

I was hoping some good craft beer and coffee would be enough :)

Depends on what kind of coffee, I'm always willing to do free stuff for good coffee. You supply the supplies and I'll build you a workshop castle. My only problem is putting gas in the 26-gallon tank of my mini-van. Been out of work for a while now, so we're lucky we can feed the dog and haven't looked for a "How to Cook Dog" cookbook yet...