Alcohol screwed up my finish

bradleyheathhays

Some years ago I cleaned off this door handle with an alcohol that was too high in % and now I've got this white stain to show for my tomfoolery.

How do I go about correcting this? I'm not sure what the original finish is on the door, but I imagine I need to scuff it up with maybe a yellow green sponge scrubber then do a spray (can) finish on top...aiming for less than a high polish sheen.

Any ideas on correcting this mistake or what spray finish I should use?

Thanks.

door streak.JPG

On 2/12/2023 at 1:54 PM, bradleyheathhays said:

Some years ago I cleaned off this door handle with an alcohol that was too high in % and now I've got this white stain to show for my tomfoolery.

How do I go about correcting this? I'm not sure what the original finish is on the door, but I imagine I need to scuff it up with maybe a yellow green sponge scrubber then do a spray (can) finish on top...aiming for less than a high polish sheen.

Any ideas on correcting this mistake or what spray finish I should use?

Thanks.

door streak.JPG

I have done some finishing of doors in my previous job. Looks to me like if you remove the finish then go over with shellac specifically amber shellac you will get that aged look. just be careful not to remove the stain. After the shellac is dry put on your protective clear coat of choice and you should be good to go. To get a lower sheen go satin instead of gloss or semi gloss. There is also matte but I have never used matte and don't know how it would look. Satin is the most common finish appearance I used. We did a lot of water based poly by brush but a clear spray should work too. I prefer an oil based finish myself but water based is also fine.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...