DEWALT Launches a New Portable Hand Planer

kanxrus

DEWALT Launches a New Portable Hand Planer that Offers Professionals Precision and Productivity

TOWSON, Md. (August 4, 2010) – Today, D EWALT announces the launch of a new Portable Hand Planer that is available in two configurations – a construction kit (D26676) and a woodworking kit (D26677K). With a 5.5 AMP motor that delivers 34,000 cuts per minute, the Portable Hand Planer provides a smooth finish and improved power and speed compared to competitors’ units.

“After spending significant time in the field talking to professional contractors and serious woodworkers, we learned there was an opportunity to develop a Portable Hand Planer that better met users’ needs,†said Bill Fuchs, product manager, D EWALT. “With significantly greater cuts per minute, more power and a longer shoe than other planers on the market, the new model offers professionals the accuracy, performance and smooth finish they demand.â€

While both models can accommodate either high speed steel (HSS) or carbide blades, the D26676 ships with HSS blades, and the D26677K includes carbide blades. The HSS blades that are included with the D26676 unit deliver an excellent finish with the ability to withstand objects such as nails within the material being cut. For this reason, the D26676 is ideal for construction professionals, including framers, remodelers and boat builders, who are tasked with stud straightening, joist leveling, rough-in sizing and general corrective work.

d26676_1.jpg

The D26677K is engineered specifically for woodworkers, furniture builders, door hangers, cabinet makers and installers whose applications typically consist of door or jamb trimming, scribing, resizing and general planing. With its ability to connect directly to standard vacuums using the adapter that is included with the kit, the D26677K also offers woodworkers dust collection for a clean work environment.

The Portable Hand Planer’s 5.5 AMP motor has been rigorously tested, and it is powerful enough to handle the toughest applications. The planer also offers users a durable belt drive and brush system that minimizes downtime, allows users to produce simple edge chamfers using a groove machined into the shoe, and creates up to a 1/16 inch cut depth that optimizes removal rate.

d26677k_1.jpg

Delivering 34,000 cuts per minute, the planer provides a superior removal rate and smooth finish compared to competitors’ products, and at 11-1/2 inches in length, the planer also offers a very stable platform to allow for smooth cuts.

At only six pounds, the Portable Hand Planer delivers improved operator comfort compared to competitors’ models. The handle has been designed to provide a comfortable resting position for the operator’s hand, and a lock-on button eliminates the need to continually depress the switch, reducing user fatigue.

In addition to two HSS blades, the D26676 includes a re-sharpening tool and an edge guide. The D26677K includes two reversible carbide blades, an edge guide, a dust adapter and a kit box.

The Portable Hand Planer will be available in August at Lowe’s and independent distributors.

The two kits are expected to retail for approximately $129.00 (D26676) and $149.00 (D26677K), and they are backed by D EWALT’s three-year limited warranty, one-year free service contract and 90-day money-back guarantee. For more information about the warranty, please visit: http://dewalt.com/Home.aspx.

Click here to view hi-res photography

About D EWALT

D EWALT is a leading manufacturer of industrial power tools and accessories with more than 300 power tool and equipment products, as well as 1,000 power tool accessories, including corded and cordless drills, saws, hammers, grinders, routers, planers, plate joiners, sanders, lasers, generators, compressors, nailers, saw blades, metal and masonry drill bits, abrasives, screw driving accessories and more. D EWALT tools can be found nationally and internationally, wherever tools are sold. With over 1,000 factory-owned and authorized locations, D EWALT has one of the most extensive service and repair networks in North America. For more information, call 1-800-433-9258 or follow D EWALT on Facebook and Twitter.

Summary

With a 5.5 AMP motor that delivers 34,000 cuts per minute, D EWALT’s new Portable Hand Planer delivers a smooth finish and improved speed compared to competitors’ units. The new planer, which is available as a construction kit ( D26676) and a woodworking kit ( D26677K), also offers users a durable belt drive & brush system that minimizes downtime, the ability to produce simple edge chamfers using a groove machined into the shoe, and up to a 1/16 inch cut depth that optimizes removal rate. At 11-1/2 inches in length, the planer provides a very stable platform to deliver smooth cuts.

d26676_a1.jpg

• 4 months later...

I used to own the Bosch 53518 18v planer. It was a battery guzzler, and underpowered. Probably why they didn't continue it into their lithium lineup. I found the single blade system to be slow and ineffective.

As battery chemistry improves, I'm sure a re-evalutaion of possible tools will looked into.

I second wanting an 18v version. I still own the Bosch, and it might just be my favorite tool. I use it on rough carpenty too. Inconsistent deck joists to lay flat. Smoothing a quick rip on a piece off exterior trim, adding a quick chamfer, etc. Pricey and weak compared to corded, but does certain jobs great and saves time.

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone had a chance to use this planer yet?  I would like to hear how it compares to the previos model dw680.  Any real improvement really possible? or just a body style change?  also a comparison with other brands...bosch/makita would be great!  i know that would be in the other forum,  but I am ready to go get this now!

its nice that dewalt recognizes the use of the planers by framers.  we'd use the planers all the time to try and even out our framing due to variances in concrete floors and walls.  always got to watch out for those nails.  ;D

are the blade size and motor the same as before?

• 1 month later...

Archived