Opinions on new 18V to come

roadhog96

Does anyone think DeWalt will offer the new 18V slide pack batteries in NiCd and NiMH or just in Li-Ion. Besides the added features these new tools will have, if they are limited to just the 18v Li-ion slide pack batteries, and the currant line of 18V tools can use all three types of batteries, which looks like the better deal. My only concern is for how long will DeWalt provide parts and batteries for the currant line once the new tools become available. I have an old Makita drill/driver from the late 80's and the batteries are still in stores. Wonder if DeWalt will do the same?

The next generation is the next generation.

Dewalt is leveraging the research for the 12 V MAX into the 20 V MAX line.

They will and should standardize the charger to support ether 12 V Li-Ion or 20 V Li-Ion.

This will offer more customers the investment and flexibility to utilize 12  V tools for lighter workloads while also supporting 20 V tools for heavier workloads.

(Also copy the success of your competition; stock older batteries to support your loyal customer base, like Makita)

I use and love my olderr Makita tools and my newer DeWalt Tools....

I love 18 volt Li-Ion Makita and 12 volt Li-Ion DeWalt/Bosch

more info to come in the near future (just hold back)

(picture etc. of the new tools)

I can already say the following:

new batteries "slide-on batteries" only Li-ION; in the 18V category they wil initially have 3Ah

(no rumor yet on a compact version)

14,4V tools / batteries (not sure if they will also have a "max" name) are also planned

the new charger with the tools can charge also the 10,8V/12*max batteries

it looks like the new series will carry the "XR" name

unconfirmed, but likley: the new 18V tools at launch will already be in the "new tool boxes"

stay posted; don´t want to spoil it all

more info to come in the near future (just hold back)

(picture etc. of the new tools)

I can already say the following:

new batteries "slide-on batteries" only Li-ION; in the 18V category they wil initially have 3Ah

(no rumor yet on a compact version)

14,4V tools / batteries (not sure if they will also have a "max" name) are also planned

the new charger with the tools can charge also the 10,8V/12*max batteries

it looks like the new series will carry the "XR" name

unconfirmed, but likley: the new 18V tools at launch will already be in the "new tool boxes"

stay posted; don´t want to spoil it all

You just did  ::)

• 9 months later...

Well if we go by tradition.... Dewalt usually launches the really good stuff within the first, and last part of the year. Looking at old press-releases, April-May, October-November. Usually the not so cool stuff in between those months.

If I had to unofficially guess, I'd say that the "teasers" left for us on the 20v max* micro page will launch April-May?

Archived