18v drill recommendations?

jayw

OK so I found my way to this forum after searching the web for info on new DeWalt 18v drills.  I hope some of you out there will be willing to offer advice and shed some light on what has become a confusing and time-consuming search.

I have an older 18v NiCad DW997, has to be 10 yrs old.  I am just a homeowner/weekend guy, but I put this through the wringer. It's done it all, like driving 3" deck screws through cedar dock planks and self-tappers through galvanized frames.  But it's showing it's age, and I'd like to replace it.

I guess I was surprised to learn that lots of the DeWalt products don't have all metal gears, for starters.  The $100 deals at Lowes may sound god for the price, but will they stand up?  i want another drill to last another 10+ years like this one.

I'd really like to stick with DeWalt - IF the quality is what it once was.  I have some other 18v tools and XRP batteries.  L-ion is appealing, but the cost is high - unless you buy off-brand which I don't want.  Heck, even some name brands stink now as I understand.  I also want 1/2" chuck.

Anyone have any recommendations to replace that DW997?  I would really appreciate feedback.  There seem to be so many models, I don't recall it being so complicated in the past.

Also I know the 18v L-ions "fit" the older drills, but I've heard (and seen) how the case mold idfferences make it clumsy and awkward swap.

Thanks in advance for any words.

Go 20v MAX. Get a DCD985L2. Best drill on the market.

As far as the plastic gears comment, DeWALT is the only one of the drill makers that uses all metal gears in all impact drivers, compact drills, and premium drills.  The $99 Black Friday special is the only exception. It was a great drill in its time, but it is outdated technology.  Definately not the drill for you.

Thanks for the advise I will research all those options.  The only thing is, I wanted to be able to continue to use the XRP batteries.  but I know, buying another 18v NiCad drill may not be wise.  Do I make the break for L-ion now?  more or less abandon the NiCad, even though I still have older tools inthat family?

I am convinced the $99 Lowe's special wouldn't be a good fit.

As all my XRP 18-volt Ni-Cads gave up the ghost, I replaced them with the non-compact 18-volt Li-Ions. The only negative side to the Li-Ions I have experienced is they are 2x the price of a Ni-Cad & you need the proper chargers.  Other than that, the Li-Ions have proven to me to be as good or better in many ways.  I personally would NOT invest another dime into Ni-Cad batteries (I know, its tempting when Lowes has Christmas & Father's Day specials where u get 2 XRP Ni-Cads for $100, but just resist).

KJONES will probably give you the best advise.  But my only problem is this- i had lots of $$$$ already invested in the 18-volt system way before the 20V Max even came out.  I have over 15 18-volt bare tools plus several chargers & batteries.  If i were starting off fresh with no cordless tools then the new 20v Max would probably be the way to go.  But for now, I cant financially justify breaking away from the 18-volt system (its been around for years and has proven itself).  At this point my only fear is that Dewalt will eventually (maybe years later) drop the 18-volt line & then I cant get parts or batteries. 

I have bought a few 12v Max tools and they do make a nice light duty addition to my 18-volt stuff though.

• 3 months later...

As all my XRP 18-volt Ni-Cads gave up the ghost, I replaced them with the non-compact 18-volt Li-Ions. The only negative side to the Li-Ions I have experienced is they are 2x the price of a Ni-Cad & you need the proper chargers.  Other than that, the Li-Ions have proven to me to be as good or better in many ways.  I personally would NOT invest another dime into Ni-Cad batteries (I know, its tempting when Lowes has Christmas & Father's Day specials where u get 2 XRP Ni-Cads for $100, but just resist).

KJONES will probably give you the best advise.  But my only problem is this- i had lots of $$$$ already invested in the 18-volt system way before the 20V Max even came out.  I have over 15 18-volt bare tools plus several chargers & batteries.  If i were starting off fresh with no cordless tools then the new 20v Max would probably be the way to go.  But for now, I cant financially justify breaking away from the 18-volt system (its been around for years and has proven itself).  At this point my only fear is that Dewalt will eventually (maybe years later) drop the 18-volt line & then I cant get parts or batteries. 

I have bought a few 12v Max tools and they do make a nice light duty addition to my 18-volt stuff though.

In the UK its all out war! They have doubled the price of batteries and dealers are trying to slid out any bare tools and old shape batteries, they have hiked the compatable Li Ion's and are expecting customers to dump all there old tools and buy new sets for the slip on batteries.

For me and my company that would be a 10K steriling investment I won't be making until allot more kit dies and if they keep going the next investment will be in another brand!