The fine line between babying and beating your tools

Anonymous

• 2 months later...

I use my tools hard daily, I wouldn't say I abuse them but some of you would probably disagree :) for me, time is money so I don't always have the time to keep them pretty pretty... like others have saids.. the newer they are the nicer I treat them but that doesn't last too long.

I buy good quality tools that are designed for harsh conditions

Usually a few times a year I go through the entire tool trailer, visually inspect each tool, clean them up, and replace any parts necessary.

You can use your tools hard but if you rely on them like I do, also have to take care of them because it's hard to get the job done with a broken tool!!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm certainly in the middle ground with some idiosyncrasies that may border sociopathic.   

I baby them in that I will try to keep them off the floor, try not to bang them on stuff and have OCD when dirt is stuck to it, I will immediately clean them.  When someone borrows them and I see them laying on their side on the floor I'll retrieve the tool, clean it and put it back in its case.  But, when its time to rock I use it for what its intended for, I will lay in to it till the tool tells me to stop or I get through the job.  If I'm in the sun I have to have a box or something to keep the sun off my tools too.  

Yeah, I'm weird!

• 3 weeks later...

Its like a brand new pair of shoes....for the first month or so you are constantly watching them for scuff marks. Maybe even licking you fingers to wife off some unwanted dirt. Until.....bam you don't give a crap anymore and you want to see what they can take. The marks and gouges on my tools tell the story that they have been used! Don't get careless....but use them like they were intended...to get dirty!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I go through a couple times a year and remove any surface rust and coat corrosion prone tools in Liquid Wrench Silicone spray. Usually before Summer and before Winter.

The humid southern summer is hell on anything Black Oxide or bare like some 1/4" hex bits or bit sockets. I've got too many tools to coat every one of them, but I take good enough care of them than most rust spots that do pop up can be wiped away with a dry cloth.

Using tools and knowing how to use tools are 2 different things, Some tools are designed to be used hard and some are designed to be used skillfully ........I have a lot more tools than some of my buddies and I know for a fact some of them think tools are just that. I don't baby my tools but I do respect them for what they are and look after them properly.

Just because you can buy or own tools doesn't always mean you know how to use them properly.......

Safety is a big part: using tools safely for the sake of you, others and the tools themselves.......