I'm bored, here's a bird...

Kato

Or maybe a photo of my daughter petting a deer. One of the many perks of letting the local zoo use my photos...free membership, and I get to go inside some of the habitats. They let me and my daughter in with the deer, one of which was quite friendly and not shy about sniffing crotches.

14684545959_133b1ce57b_b.jpg

August 09 2014 012 by Edward Durbin, on Flickr

• Like 1

I prefer Paint Shop Pro X2. I've been using PSP since around version 4 I think, and I've liked it ever since. It does the same thing as Photoshop, not as in-depth for some stuff but close enough. Plus it has features that Photoshop can't touch, like being able to modify the workspace. You can add or remove buttons, so the tools you use the most can be just a click away. With Photoshop you're either using keyboard shortcuts, which slows you down, or you're searching through menus, which slows you down. I still use Photoshop, but only when I want to really go nuts with a photo. I have a lot of different software for editing, Lightroom, PSPX2 and X5, Elements, Photoshop, etc.. I use them all but prefer PSPX2 because it's streamlined and fast.

14753294375_44bfd4faae_b.jpg

June 29 2014 004 by Edward Durbin, on Flickr

• Like 1

Crap, I forgot I was supposed to make a video of me using my favorite tool. Guess I gotta get on top of that. Here's a shot of a folding stool/table I made for my office a while back. Folds up and slides under the couch, and makes a great footrest or table for munching while watching movies.

13634154474_82a5344260_b.jpg

Fold-away Table 002 by Edward Durbin, on Flickr

Photography is a hobby that is somewhat of a profession...I've made plenty of money doing it, and have been published all over the world, but it's not paying my bills. Craftsman...I don't know about that. I just like to do stuff. I love working on stuff, building things, etc., and you can't do that without a few tools here and there.

2 minutes ago, Kato said:

Crap, I forgot I was supposed to make a video of me using my favorite tool. Guess I gotta get on top of that. Here's a shot of a folding stool/table I made for my office a while back. Folds up and slides under the couch, and makes a great footrest or table for munching while watching movies.

Going for function over fashion I see, nifty little stand, great idea.

And awesome pictures, as always; I watch this thread with anticipation

I definitely am not a DIY'er, I've been a maintenance mechanic my whole life. I was helping my dad work on bowling machines when I was 11 and 12 years old. I've worked on heavy machinery and have done building maintenance for so long that I'm basically a Jack of all trades, pretty close to master of most of them. I do electrical, carpentry, hvac, plumbing, etc.. So far there hasn't been anything I couldn't learn and couldn't fix. Not certifications but so far I haven't needed any, most of the jobs I've worked didn't require them

One of my grandmasters told me this a long time ago, and it sticks to a lot of walks of life: "When you look down on someone else, you are only looking down on yourself. Everyone starts as a White Belt, and there is no shame in having a beginning. The shame comes from never starting.". He was trying to explain that when you're at the top, it's not good to look down. You shouldn't look at those "beneath" you, instead you should only look at who you were before you got there.

I say it's the shit we trudge through every day that makes us who we are. I'm thankful for the bullshit I go through, instead of letting it defeat me I defeat it, and it makes me that much stronger.

It holds true in the opposite regard...you can't put yourself down because you think someone is better. If you do you don't give yourself the chance to learn. The only difference is this: When you're at the bottom, the only thing you can do is look up.

My skills in the things I do have developed over the years, and over a lot of hard work and learning. If I didn't obsess, if I didn't push, I wouldn't have the skills or knowledge that I have.

• Like 1

Well I'm just a starter when it comes to this kind of thing. I bought a new camera for a trip to Alaska and learned some stuff but didn't get a lot of time to practice and learn the camera completely, and somehow had OIS turned off in my settings for the majority of the trip, which was a big disappointment since it would have helped a lot with such a extensive amount of zoom at hand. A lot of my pictures were at telephoto and handheld so they're what I'd consider decent but lacking. I bet you could take my pictures and make them a whole lot better than they are, my editing skills extend to pushing the "magic" button that some software offers to auto calibrate the picture since I don't have an eye for what is needed. 

I picked my favorites from the trip, take a look I'd like your input. Nikon Coolpix P900 16MP CMOS 24-2000mm. Small sensor of course and lighting was not great most of the trip, it rained A LOT, but a very capable camera for the budget guy, lol. 

https://goo.gl/photos/Pi8RNNeEs6Dvht2y6

The thing about editing is that if you're a purist, all you want to do is make the photo look like it did in real life. Cameras are magical things, but they only see in the way that they want to see, it's up to you to make the photo your own. If a subject has bright vibrant colors and the camera doesn't quite show it, boost saturation. IF the photo is a little out of focus or "dull", use unsharp mask to bring out details or "brighten" it.

Your photo look great, Hugh, nothing to be down about. Every photo can use some manipulation, mine don't always come out good. I have a lot of clunkers, but luckily most of the time I get things the way I want them in-camera, so I don't have to do a lot of editing. Sadly, sometimes things don't work out so you have to do what you have to do in processing.

3 minutes ago, Kato said:

Hugh, I'm going to save a couple of your photos and edit them, and post the steps in the photography thread. If you don't mind...

Oh man that's awesome. Thanks for taking the time to give me some pointers. Unfortunately my camera doesn't shoot raw so I don't have crazy expectation of epic photos, there are hardware limitations that will affect IQ which can't be edited, but I'm interested to see what you can do with them. Thanks again. 

You don't need raw, trust me. 95% of my photos are shot in JPG, and so far I haven't had any issues. Been published all over the world, have done work for many big companies, and can make prints up to 66"x44"...shooting raw or jpg doesn't make a difference in you can get things right in-camera. For most stuff if you have a majority of control over lighting, shadow, etc., then you can shoot jpg with no problem. I only shoot raw when I need it, like if I'm gonna have a blown-out sky or difficult lighting outdoor.

This was a quick edit, boost fill light, clarity, saturation, etc.. Just to show you what can be done when you have a good photo to start with. Nothing wrong with the shot, looks good to be honest, but if you want "magic" then you have to throw a few tricks in. There's going to be artifacting because it was a web save (and haloes due to the animation conversion), but you'll get the general idea. I'll compile the editing steps and post them in the photography thread...

Eagle%20Ani%20001.gif