I'm bored, here's a bird...

Kato

I've used a lot of different lenses. Currently using a Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 and Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 OS. Some of the lenses I've had in the past:

Sigma 150-500mm OS

Canon 100mm f/2.8 IS macro

Canon 28-300mm IS

Canon 70-300mm DO

Sigma 180mm f/3.5 macro

Tamron 18-270mm VC

and probably others I'm forgetting...

Up close means macro lens, not zoom. Zoom is to bring distant things closer, macro is to make tiny things look huge. For shooting in low light you want a wider aperture, so look for lenses that are f/2.8 and wider. For close-up sots you want a prime...which is a lens with a set focal length. Zooms don't make good macro unless you know how to use them effectively. You'll also need an adapter, there are no 4/3 macro lenses, you have to buy a standard macro (Canon, Sigma, Tamron, etc.) and use an adapter to connect it to the camera. Sacrifice is that you'll get slower auto-focus, which for macro isn't an issue because a lot of the time you're going to be using manual focus.

The good thing is that micro 4/3 is a 2x crop, which means you can use a longer focal length, which means you can be farther from your subject and still "get close". The 2x crop means that you're theoretically getting 2x closer to your subject than a full-frame camera, so your subject will fill more of the frame at the same distance as a full-frame camera. That translates to you being able to be father from your subject, which for macro is good because a lot of the time when you're shooting bugs they take off when you get too close. It's also good for people who are scared of bugs, spiders are great subjects but some people don't want to get close to them. A longer focal length or higher crop factor allows you to keep a safe distance.

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...

Hey, anybody want to add photos to this thread? Come on, have some fun. To revive the thread, here's a pic of the step I made for the dog. It might get stained the same color as the bed, haven't decided yet...

IMG_0895.JPG