coworkers and tools

1R954Baker-hvac

How many people have coworkers that barrow tools and don't return them... I don't mind loaning tools at all but when ur done return em to my hand... shouldn't have to chase tools down when someone forgets to return em... that's so annoying to me...

I used to let co-workers borrow tools, many of them would return the tools to the right location and clean them, a few here and there wouldn't. Sometimes the guys on the night shift would use my tools and I'd come in for the morning and find tools missing. After a while I got sick of it and started locking my tools.

I've fired more than one person for not following the simple guidelines of cleaning and returning tools to where they belong.

It's too risky letting other people borrow your tools. Most people now a days just don't respect other peoples property enough, or they don't even know how to use a tool properly. I have a short list of people I trust to borrow something.

I lug all my crap home everyday, its a pain but tools are not cheap and I take good care of them myself... some people think I don't work cuz most of my tools look new but I explain to them if they take care of thiers the same it will too... I seen one guy barrow a power tool from somebody and was using the battery side as a hammer, I was like wtf... I like helping people when they need help but some people take that for granted...

I lug all my crap home everyday, its a pain but tools are not cheap and I take good care of them myself... some people think I don't work cuz most of my tools look new but I explain to them if they take care of thiers the same it will too... I seen one guy barrow a power tool from somebody and was using the battery side as a hammer, I was like wtf... I like helping people when they need help but some people take that for granted...

Still trying to figure out the buttons on this forum. Randall I know what you mean. My boss uses whatever tool is in his reach as a hammer. I have a dewalt brushless impact driver and I keep it away from him, reason being that it doesn't have a rubber moulding on the back of it. Instead it says "brushless" on the back of it. I feel he would puncture a hole in it

ha I use my 20v as a hammer all the time, they hold up great.  Yes im serious I abuse the crap out of my tools.  Here is a family picture the other day at work I have more but It was what I needed at the time at that job.

1BFA7049-7750-4B23-ADBA-D13212DE4D95_zps

As for as borrowing me and the coworkers borrow tools all the time.  I never abuse their stuff only my stuff and they do the same, everyone is trustworthy and no one has had a tool come up missing or damaged yet.

ha I use my 20v as a hammer all the time, they hold up great.  Yes im serious I abuse the crap out of my tools.  Here is a family picture the other day at work I have more but It was what I needed at the time at that job.

1BFA7049-7750-4B23-ADBA-D13212DE4D95_zps

As for as borrowing me and the coworkers borrow tools all the time.  I never abuse their stuff only my stuff and they do the same, everyone is trustworthy and no one has had a tool come up missing or damaged yet.

Great u got good coworkers, its not everybody but there has been a few bad apples out the bunch... nice set u got there... sure if its ur tools use it how u want to, I just never seen someone do that b4 with someone els tools so I was like wtf ... I personally don't because. I have a hard time getting new tool when I want because my wife thinks they are post to last forever...

Well......no. He is one of Mrs. Conductor's friend's husband.

He did help me paint my kitchen.....kinda. He showed up for 2 hours, cut in 1 wall and hit the trail.

LOL. My wife is setting me up with her friends boyfriends or husbands on play dates all the time.......

Has not worked out one time. These guys are talking about pork bellies and stocks and such?????  Talk about tools, guns, cars, BBQ, CONTACT sports or get the F out!!!

• Like 2

LOL. My wife is setting me up with her friends boyfriends or husbands on play dates all the time.......

Has not worked out one time. These guys are talking about pork bellies and stocks and such????? Talk about tools, guns, cars, BBQ, CONTACT sports or get the F out!!!

Amen. I've been "hooked up" with numerous prospective friends, but none have worked out.

Amen. I've been "hooked up" with numerous prospective friends, but none have worked out.

Thats why I love my friends! they help me I help them! Our last project was my friends garage loft...bought materials on a Friday and was done by Saturday night! Only thing is they don't give me beer till we are done...or I get a bit distracted....LOL

• Like 2

Most of the time my friends want to borrow me and my tools. I help as many as I can because I know they would do the same (and have) if I needed them.

Coworkers on the other hand it kind of depends. If it's one of my guys, depending on what it is I usually say OK. Some one that just works in one of the plants no way.

I don't let anybody use my tools anymore. The guys I work with I trust my life with and have actually had them do just that but there is NO way in heck they can borrow my power tools! I've lent some out before and they end up broken, I've been pretty fortunate with my fiance's friends too, she lets me do my own thing there!

I normally work alone so don't have to worry about that. Sometimes I work with contractors so I don't mind them using my tools but hate it when I'm doing a job and theres other trades there and strangers start digging in my tool bag, I tell them I don't mind letting people use my stuff but they need to ask for it

I don't feel so bad now...lol that's one thing I think in the work field guys don't like is to loan tools... we work hard to buy tools to make money to support our family for someone to hinder that by improper use or not returning...

I typically will loan "non-essential" tools to people if they really need them for something......BUT.......they get one chance, and the first time I dont get them back quickly, they come back broken/damaged, or if I see them abusing their own tools......no more lending. 

Once someone gets the "why would I ever need to buy it, I just keep borrowing from you" attitude, they get cut off completely.

I follow one rule with tools or anything else....."never loan something you cant afford not to get back".

• Like 2