best way to remove peeling paint?

Javier

I have to remove all the peeling paint from the eaves of a house. I've used a multi Tool with scraper blade in the past with good luck but what's the best fastest easiest way to get rid of the peeling paint? What tool is better suited for this project? I need to start this project this Friday

The Wagner paint eater seems to get really good reviews on removing peeling paint.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Wagner-4-1-2-in-Paint-Eater-Disc-Sander-0513040/202102612.

A pressure washer could do the job but its not recommended it can blow out wood fibers in the wood is old and has dryrot, and you have to wait awhile for the wood to dry out afterwards. A pressure washer can really load up the wood with water.

• Like 1

Paint eater will do the job, but it's time consuming and the abrasive wheels get expensive quickly.

A heat gun or propane torch will do the job, but I'd go the pressure washer route first.

If it's only the loose stuff you want to remove, I'd go with the paint eater, but if you want a full strip you'll need heat.

Paint eater will do the job, but it's time consuming and the abrasive wheels get expensive quickly.

A heat gun or propane torch will do the job, but I'd go the pressure washer route first.

If it's only the loose stuff you want to remove, I'd go with the paint eater, but if you want a full strip you'll need heat.

just the loose flaking paint not all of it

I had to refurbish our picnic bench last year (flaking paint etc.) and ended up buying Harbor freights version of the paint eater and it worked great. Maybe an option for you if you wanted to save some money. I've used quite a few times since then and it still works just fine....

Well......I may be biased.....but drive over to Woodcraft and buy a Festool RO90 or 150. Oh it'll cost you but that will take anything off. I wouldn't try it on your lady friend though...liable to just leave bones....and a bon-r....;)

• Like 5

I have to agree ChrisK I'm sure that Festool  RO90 or 150 will strip paint off better than any stripper is at removing her clothes, but I don't think it is in Javier's budget :) It if you could snap some picks at how bad the pain its peeling we could get a better idea on that tool too use. If its really small pieces a wire brush might be good enough and a paint scraper for the few stubborn spots. My vote personal is if you can afford it hire someone to put aluminum trim over it. I don't know if that's not common in So Cal or not, but that's what most people do here eventually because its zero maintenance except a good power wash every few years if you want it to look pretty.

Agreed with DR Javier, however what kind of siding do you have on the homestead young man? Is it Stucco or wood? Do you have any rot or is it just sun fade? I'd agree with Regopit too...hit it with a power washer and they make a pretty cool paint grinder that is almost like a sideways circular saw that grinds down the paint.mi can't remember the name but of memory serves me it wasn't too much.

In starting to like the pressure washer idea a lot more. Sad thing is there isn't much for a budget. I don't know what they go for but if I can find something for under $100 I'll go that route if not the paint eater sounds good

In starting to like the pressure washer idea a lot more. Sad thing is there isn't much for a budget. I don't know what they go for but if I can find something for under $100 I'll go that route if not the paint eater sounds good

you can rent a pressure washer at HD but they are the heavy duty commercial one, and probably overkill. but I have seen cheaper electric power washer for $100-115 at home depot, It only puts out around 1500 PSI which is maybe a good thing to prevent damaging the surface. 

• Like 1

This guy seems to have a pretty decent guide on how to handle painting stucco.

http://www.wikihow.com/Paint-Stucco A low pressue pressure washer seems to be the best bet and a stiff wire brush and putty knife for trouble spots. Just make sure you use the right patching materials and you should be fine. Just make sure everything is thoroughly dry.

Yup, that's why I was asking about the siding. It is designed for removal from wood. As far as stucco, I don't know, NH there isn't a whole lot of stucco houses :(

The eaves are wood and thats what I have to deal with the peeling paint. I always thought siding was literally the material on the sides of the house, not sure why you guys asked but figured it would help out. So yes the sides of the house are stucco, but the peeling paint is on wood. The stucco itself is fine other than looking old and outdated

I seen that harbor freight paint eater today, priced at $25 this is what I'm going to use, they even have those wheels for use on angle grinders but I don't know about the super high rpm

I got me some more freebies while at the store