Starter Kit Drill Bits

Kavery17

I'm curious to know what are some good starter kit drill bits to buy? I'm a weekend DYI person and use the Ryobi 18v drill and impact driver. When I was in Home Depot there were several different kits to buy and I didn't want to buy one full of a bunch of useless bits. I will be mostly working with wood and doing a few cable wire installs on the house to hide the wires in the wall. Will I be fine with Ryobi drill bits or should I go with a different brand?

Kevin

The Newbie

I have had good luck with the Dewalt Pilot point bits they are a little easier to start, but to be honest they are a consumable item unless you invest in some really quality bits which I won't do because I always end up losing a bit in the set. The Ryobi bits should be fine for what your doing.

• Like 1

I like Milwaukee Thunderbolts bits for general purpose use. A 21 piece set is $19.99 at HD. They do well in various materials.

Dewalt's Pilot points are nice bits, but the points won't hold up in thicker steel (1/4" +)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

so I haven't been to HD in a while but I heard they weren't selling Irwin tools there anymore ive always thought they were a pretty good brand so I wonder if Milwaukee and dewalt are takeing over there shelf spot cus last time I went I saw a lot of dewalt clamps there where the Irwins are usually at...

so I haven't been to HD in a while but I heard they weren't selling Irwin tools there anymore ive always thought they were a pretty good brand so I wonder if Milwaukee and dewalt are takeing over there shelf spot cus last time I went I saw a lot of dewalt clamps there where the Irwins are usually at...

Irwin is now at Lowes

• 2 weeks later...