Garage sale purchase...

Kato

Found this at a garage sale by the house, offered $50 with the stuff in it, she countered with $60 and I said "Perfect!". Figured $60 for the chest and roller was good enough, got it home and emptied it out and wound up with around 100 bucks or so worth of tie-down straps, really nice ratcheting ones, and probably 100 bucks or so worth of a bunch of random tools like screwdrivers, vise grips, etc.. Has really nice slides for the drawers, very smooth and strong. Now I just have to find a spot in the garage for it...

14081839739_ae1223d2d3_b.jpg

14266396332_b35718fa0f_b.jpg
  • Like 2

It was one of those "I want my ex-husband's crap out of here" types of garage sales. Lot's of random stuff like crappy tools, motorcycle parts, etc.. You could tell it was a lot of guy's stuff that looked like it was laying around getting rusty and dusty. A lot of house-brand types of tools, some decent stuff like Ace and Vise Grip, i kept the better stuff out of the tool boxes and through the rest in a box for our future garage sale.

One man's trash is another man's trash is another man's treasure...or something like that...

You know, the thought occurs to me...while I'm not much of a sticker kind of guy, these boxes would probably look much prettier with a couple of TIA stickers on them. Just a thought...

• Like 3

You know, the thought occurs to me...while I'm not much of a sticker kind of guy, these boxes would probably look much prettier with a couple of TIA stickers on them. Just a thought...

Kato, I got your back my Illinois brother. PM me your address and I will get one in the mail to you.

• Like 1

I wish I could find deals like thid. I just don't have the patience for yard sales. I always get my hopes up especially with real life stories like this but after a few houses it's all junk.

Yeah, a bunch of books I've already read and mismatched junk Indian wrenches and screwdrivers.

I just looked on Craiglist to see if there was anything good on it like usual people are crazy on their prices. $150 for a Dewalt 14.4 nicad drill kit, and 175 for a new in box but older Craftsman framing air nailer.You can get a real brand new Hitach for 199 at Lowes. Who knows it might be a desirable  nailer for some reason, but I doubt it its probably old and way heaver the the newer nailers.

Some of the stuff that was in the chest and roller...

Screwdrivers, files, tire gauge, brand new set of glass cutter bits, etc....

Retaining ring set with random tips, Vise Grips, long-reach needle-nose, sockets, ratchets, etc...

Bottom drawer was filled with ratcheting tie-down straps and other types of tie-downs...

Poor, poor rusty Crescent adjustable...

I just realized that the stuff in the photos doesn't include the box of random stuff I'm not keeping. Bunch of random no-name sockets, some Ace, an almost full set of deep impact sockets, about 8 or so screwdrivers that were beat up or bent or had bad tips, a bunch of small needle-nose pliers that I did decide to keep, a crapload of random driver bits (which I have a bajillion already, don't need more), other crap.

I actually don't like adjustables, the only time I use them is when I'm adjusting the springs on my fence gates, and I only use them for that because I haven't taken the time to memorize what size wrench they take. I have a few adjustable wrenches, one really nice Stanley and some others, but I find myself using them only when it suits my laziness...I don't want to take a handful of wrenches with me, or I just don't want to bother trying to figure out what size I need.

They have their place but for me there a tool of convenience and a way to please my laziness. The rusty Crescent...oddly enough it runs pretty smooth, even being so rusty. It had a few tiny hitches in it but I sprayed some good old WD40 in it and it runs super-smooth. I don't like the rust, but to be honest I probably won't try to clean it up.

After a little Googling, since curiosity struck me, I found that one of the ratchets is/was a Proto tool at one time or another. "Fleet" as near as I can tell, was a brand made by Proto or for Proto or something like that. Thought Conductor would get a kick out of that info. The 1/2" ratchet with the rubber grip in this shot, Fleet 165CN (or 1650N, can't tell if it's a zero or a C), and made in the U.S. (for those who are gung-ho about that sort of thing)...

14122432869_e0bf4ab494_b.jpgGarage Sale Stuff 002 by Ed Durbin (Katodog), on Flickr

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My flea markets all suck. Just junk as far as tools go.

one time i bought 4 files at one, one nicholson half round two simonds and one lenox for 15 bucks it was in omaha nebraska and also i found a makita drill circular saw and impact driver combo set for 60 bucks but i didn't buy it