CAD/CAM

EEtwidget

It's one of those things that would be handy to use but most of the time if I'm building something I usually wing it. I know its not the best way to do things but I tend to do things in spurts. I don't know how many others would be interested.

When I went to vocational school for mechanical drafting from '88 to '89 they were introducing CAD into our school. I was 17 and the technology was really amazing (back then). But we never really used it for designing our projects. On a field trip to a local engineer in Sanford ME we actually got see CAD in action. Of course this was literally 23 years ago and seeing shows about what can be done with the concept is simply amazing. I don't feel old but I kept most of my drafting tools and.....wow.

I have used Auto Cad for a while now but I just started to use sketch-up. I thought that it would be and easy transition but for some reason it's not. I would like to see what you come up with. A lot of stuff I find on line assumes that you know the basics or I'm just and idiot and I just don't under stand it. 

I use TURBO CAD PRO. I find it very useful in making sure everybody knows what we are doing with a project. We do a lot of custom fab jobs and this way my guys know without a doubt dimensions and what goes where.... A sketchup review/tutorial would be great.

We use Solidworks with camworks everyday at work,a little bit of autocad here and there,we also use Geopath.

We are mostly a CNC machining shop,but have an extensive engineering dept.  We design and manufacture custom machinery.

Nice Fazzman, are you around the OC area? I;m always looking for vendors and a large CNC. We have a laser, waterjet, 3dprinter, and small CNC. I'm using Solidworks when I design a machine or part, AutoCAD when I layout a building. Sketch-up mostly for woodworking projects. 

I will put together a simple sketchup tutorial, I believe it's an easier software to learn, although not as powerful as Solidworks.. it gets the job done. 

• Like 2