I never knew my dad was so cool

BK13

I was over at my parents tonight, and got a little restless as they were watching TV after dinner, so I ended up in the garage, looking at my dad's tool box.

DSC_2434_zpsc63d4622.jpg

DSC_2436_zps50d96189.jpg

DSC_2437_zps6a4f6258.jpg

When I was a kid, I just thought this was a Crescent wrench

DSC_2422_zps766795c9.jpg

DSC_2420_zpsb816ff1c.jpg

DSC_2421_zpsa4136f45.jpg

Older adjustable

DSC_2396_zps1976fd6b.jpg

DSC_2398_zps437325b0.jpg

DSC_2400_zps89fc235e.jpg

• Like 2

Another

DSC_2401_zps7059c413.jpg

DSC_2403_zps243bed31.jpg

I'm guessing this was from a time that Japanese tools were not as well thought of as they are now

DSC_2407_zps033c876a.jpg

DSC_2408_zps41d2d91f.jpg

Goofy little drivers

DSC_2405_zps9e33d4a3.jpg

DSC_2406_zps2a80bc2b.jpg

DSC_2409_zpsb639849f.jpg

Up until about 15 or so years ago, these were just about all of his sockets

DSC_2411_zps0eb76f5b.jpg

Mostly Craftsman. Dang near all of his tools are Craftsman.

Exceptions

DSC_2415_zpsfeab6d65.jpg

DSC_2414_zps2a813864.jpg

I want that brand to come back! Mustang sockets!!! How freaking cool is that name! Imagine working at an auto repair shop they got their Snap On, Mac, Matco. You will be way cooler than all the other techs with Mustang branded tools :)

I want that brand to come back! Mustang sockets!!! How freaking cool is that name! Imagine working at an auto repair shop they got their Snap On, Mac, Matco. You will be way cooler than all the other techs with Mustang branded tools :)

It does sound tempting to be fancy. But if your actually working on in automotive trying not to strip bolts, Precision torque or Flank drive sockets is really what makes you cool.

Because if you have those you are investing in quality hand tools, witch is a sign of a mechanic who knows were to spend his money.

Thanks, guys. The two sets of 1/4" sockets were kind of a mistake. I went to a shop in inner SE Portland and bought the Gearwrench, but I was so worried about not getting PRC-made tools that i didn't see they were 12 point, and I really wanted 6, so I went to NAPA and picked up the Carlyle. Well, more tools are better, right?

Nice finds BK.

Mustang was New Britain's mid-range line commonly found in auto parts stores. It was a step down from Blackhawk and New Britain, and a step up from None-Better. Quality tools without a lot of flash. Just the way I like it.

I made a Carlyle order today myself. I found the 42 Piece Master Hex Bit Socket set (BSH42) NEW on eBay for $80. Retails for $229 at NAPA.

I've had my eye on this set for a good while as it has short, medium, and long bits from 1/8" to 3/8" in SAE, and 4mm to 10mm in metric.

There are more than 10 left if anyone is interested:

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Carlyle-BSH42-42-Pc-Master-Hex-Bit-Socket-Set-/151242102592

• 1 month later...

I like the UNION sticker on the corner of the toolbox. How do you keep the screwdrivers so square, My wife and boys think they are pry-bars. I really liked the little yankee ratchet. I used to see them all the time. I haven't seen one in years. Nice pictures of the tools. Thanks!

sad thing is some of these old tools are as good as new ones and in some cases even better than the newer ones but not everyone will use them cause they are old......I know I have a few different ones that were old when I got them and I will be heart broken if they ever went missing or eventually broke...I got a few buddies that tease me from time to time and I laugh and tell em you might use these tools too if ya knew what they were let alone know how to use them......

• 4 weeks later...

I made a Carlyle order today myself. I found the 42 Piece Master Hex Bit Socket set (BSH42) NEW on eBay for $80. Retails for $229 at NAPA.

I've had my eye on this set for a good while as it has short, medium, and long bits from 1/8" to 3/8" in SAE, and 4mm to 10mm in metric.

There are more than 10 left if anyone is interested:

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Carlyle-BSH42-42-Pc-Master-Hex-Bit-Socket-Set-/151242102592

Did you get this yet, Travis? Had a chance to beat on them? 

That guy has some cool stuff in his store. I'm curious about the Carlyle ball pein hammers... I'll probably end up with Proto Anti Vibes and Trusty-Cook DBBPs, but I like to check out my options...

Did you get this yet, Travis? Had a chance to beat on them?

That guy has some cool stuff in his store. I'm curious about the Carlyle ball pein hammers... I'll probably end up with Proto Anti Vibes and Trusty-Cook DBBPs, but I like to check out my options...

The Carlyle hex bits are awesome. Same OEM as my Mac set. Value wise, this is one of my greatest buys.