Rolling Miter/Planer Stand

Sarbatche

I've thrown out my back trying to pick up DeWalt's 13" planer (DW735) before, so I jumped on the rolling miter/planer stand because of its gas strut assisted lifting feature. The mobility and utility of this stand is unbelievable and the cost is priced comparably to the heavy duty miter stand. I intend to buy a second rolling stand to replace my heavy duty stand for my sliding compound miter.

Unfortunately, the DW735 is too wide for the mounting rails on the DWX726, which I feel justifies an attachment from DeWalt as it's marketed as a universal stand for planers and compound miters. I had some scrap 1/4"x1" aluminum bar that worked well to adapt the machine mount. Well enough, at least, to share with y'all. Cheers!

post-49393-0-06186500-1414088235_thumb.j

post-49393-0-87038600-1414088536_thumb.j

post-49393-0-21630300-1414088650_thumb.j

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You have done something similar to what I have done mounting mine. You have to be careful using aluminum for your adapter rails, the wrong alloy will develop stress cracks from the vibration when the planer is running. I used some Unistrut or Kindorf rail and nuts that you can pick up at Home Depot rail for less than $20 for a ten foot length. The roller height and distance from the planer are adjustable so it works well for additional infeed/ outfeed support. Folded up it tucks neatly up against the wall, but I wouldn't leave it stood up in the middle of a room for fear of someone knocking it over.

• 3 months later...

Grumpy, those rails are pretty slick and easily mounted. I just happened to have 1/4" 7000 series aluminum bar stock laying around, which is plenty strong enough for this little job site planer. Do you have problems with the rollers not maintaining their adjusted height? Mind you, I've been planing timbers more than boards lately... But I've been toying with the idea of getting 1" steel square tube and making rollers with vertical supports that rest on the ground. Like a monopod and possibly telescoping.

I haven't run into trouble with it, but I don't run them out all the way. The biggest stock I have run is 6/4 oak, I tend to run boards that are 8 feet or less in length, so I usually set the roller set at about 4 1/2 to 5 feet from the planer head. It allows me to set them up on the rollers and the bed extensions, lined up to run and them slide them in. Then I walk to the other side and ensure when it gets closer to the outfeed roller that it lines up to go across the roller instead of bumping into it. I make sure I wear gloves (a subject of controversy to some I am sure) and guide the board from the side a few inches away from the end. Don't grab it from the end and try to hold it up that would be a good way to get a finger pinched or mashed between the board and the roller.