My buying and selling of tools

Samuel L.

So I had a few people say I should do this and post about what I have bought from pawn shops or the classified adds, and sold for some cash to spend.

To date.

Dewalt Kit DCD771 and DCF885 Paid 100$ keeping it for now.

Dewalt DCR18 Compact Radio Paid 40$ keeping it.

Dewalt XR kit DCD790 and DCF886 Paid 120$ keeping it.

Milwaukee Super Hawg Paid 260$ Sold it for 320$.

Dewalt/Simpson Quick Drive Auto Screw gun Paid 190$ sold for 250$

Dewalt 36 Volt SDS Hammer and dust extraction kit Paid 525$ sold for 600$

couple years back I was in home depot looking for a air hose.......while I was looking, there was a single 50ft pack for $39.95 I have it in my hand and a fellow comes along and say there are clearance packs way up on top shelf but he thinks they are 2x50ft packs......I'm thinking sure check the price.......after he climbs down the ladder he says your never gonna believe this........they are marked down to $4.40? I say $4.40 are you sure so he checks with his price gun and sure enough ......I said how many are up there? he say 11 packs I say I will take them all.......my wife looks at me and just shakes her head......so you have to remember I only wanted a single 50ft air hose I ended up buying 1100ft of air hose for $48.80...... now we are in our van on the way home and my wife say what are you gonna do with all that hose.....I say watch.....I go not 1/2 a mile down the road to the pawn shop and ask if they are interested in brand new 50ft air hoses......I sold them 10 packs for $20 each so got my 50ft air hose with a spare and pocketed just under $150.......wife says only you!

My secret is to never use them before I already have a buyer lined up. The farthest I go is to turn them on to make sure they work. 

It the secret it buying tools you probably will never need, or a double of a tool you already have. I have sold a few things here and there. mostly extra chargers and batteries

• Like 1

I have a bad habit of if I come across a smokin deal I will buy whatever is there even if I only need one of them......I bought LED desk lamps one time for $4ea  regular $54 gave half away and sold half $10 ea.....still made money and a bunch of buddies were happy......

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ive dabbled with this a little bit but sometimes its so hard to part! haha    i just cleaned out my garage and have a huge pile of stuff all the way from junk to decent stuff, even some new things... I just have to find the time to list them...   i was thinking of having a tag sale but its getting a little late/cold up here..

do you guys (in the US) mostly use craigslist or ebay?

in the spring bought a newer floor nailer with a box of 5000 nails, for $175 completely installed hardwood flooring thru out the camp and sold the nailer with the remainder of the nails for $200