Tool Predictions - 2015

Samuel L.

So ran across the ones you guys made for 2014 a year ago and thought hey lets start one for next year.

There worth looking back at some of them were true some never happened, here is the Link.

So my 8 predictions for 2015.

1. Tool companies will realize that there are lithium ion cells that will make thin packs that put out over 3 amps and thick packs that have over 6.5 amps.

2. Dewalt will make a push on its 12 volt line with new tools (including a brushless drill and impact) that are included in the already in the M12 line and then realize Milwaukee has established c monopoly on 12 volt power tools.

3. Makita will come out with more 18 volt tools that are really stuff you only kind of need, to try keep there title as the biggest 18 volt lineup, as Milwaukee comes closer and closer to take the title.

4. Dewalt will make a huge push in there 20V line up (most of the tools released will already be featured in the M18 line) and discontinue up to half of the old 18 volt lineup still sitting around.

5. By mid fall all new cordless power tools released by Dewalt, Milwaukee, Makita will be brushless and we will be stuck with Fuel, XR, and BL stamped on tools for the rest of history.

6. Bosch induction charging will be released in stores and no one will care, then about 9 months later Milwaukee will come out with the same principle call it something else and everyone on team Red will Brag like its brand new technology from NASA.

7. There will be boatloads of tool fight videos of the cordless Makita, Milwaukee, and Dewalt Miter Saws when they finally are all available in north america.

8. Dan will cut himself on something during another episode of tool talk.

• Like 1

With their 18V X 2 line, tiny impact and BL grinder, I predict Makita will keep doing great things and win some market share back. I also think they'll release 6.0ah battery backs with a battery gauge.

I predict Dewalt with have a 20v stapler, brad gun and finish gun to go with their framing gun.

• Like 2

With their 18V X 2 line, tiny impact and BL grinder, I predict Makita will keep doing great things and win some market share back. I also think they'll release 6.0ah battery backs with a battery gauge.

I predict Dewalt with have a 20v stapler, brad gun and finish gun to go with their framing gun.

Well that was already a given with the brad and finishing gun

I think you are spot on about the dewalt 20v line. I think they will have a ton of new releases. I also think that makita will bring out a lot of new brushless tools. I think all of the major tool brands will have 6.0 ah batteries by the end of the year. I also see the impact drivers and drills getting smaller or more powerful depending on the model. I also think we will see corded brushless tools.

I think you are spot on about the dewalt 20v line. I think they will have a ton of new releases. I also think that makita will bring out a lot of new brushless tools. I think all of the major tool brands will have 6.0 ah batteries by the end of the year. I also see the impact drivers and drills getting smaller or more powerful depending on the model. I also think we will see corded brushless tools.

Fun Fact brushless motors are actually AC motors (AC=corded power) when used in cordless tools the tool takes the DC current from the battery turns it into AC current and then uses the frequency to control the speed of the tool. Hence the reason why if you look at the inside of a brushless tool the wiring and circuitry takes up a lot more room, and why you cant just buy a brushless motor solder it in and go to town. So turns out corded tools have always been brushless, and brushless motors are very far from new technology.

Fun Fact brushless motors are actually AC motors (AC=corded power) when used in cordless tools the tool takes the DC current from the battery turns it into AC current and then uses the frequency to control the speed of the tool. Hence the reason why if you look at the inside of a brushless tool the wiring and circuitry takes up a lot more room, and why you cant just buy a brushless motor solder it in and go to town. So turns out corded tools have always been brushless, and brushless motors are very far from new technology.

Umm, not so much. Every electric tool I've ever cracked open contains brushes. There's no real need to have brushless electric tools. Brushes are extremely cheap, and the energy and heat savings associated with brushless are not very important if you're not running off batteries...

• Like 1

My bold prediction: I will get tired of waiting for Milwaukee to bring out a Fuel version of the ______ (most likely the first will be the M12 OMT or one of the ratchets) so I'll buy the brushed version right before the Fuel comes out (M12 Hackzall, anyone?).

• Like 2

I think Festool is going to release the edgebander, some corded drills and the cordless track saw in the US. Possibly a table saw for the US market but that's a big maybe..

Sawstop will finally launch their portable job site table saw

I'll guess that another company develops a similar skin sensing technology also (possibly festool)

Makita will release a BL reciprocating saw in the US along with their BL jigsaw and 18v X2 string trimmer. All their current X2 tools will be slightly redesigned to do away with the need for an adapter.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say 6ah won't be widespread.. we saw a big push to 5ah lately and I'm guessing manufacturers will ride that out for a while.

Milwaukee will continue to fuelerize their line M12 and M18, I hope atleast for new M12 multitool and right angle drill/driver

Maybe Milwaukee cordless nail guns? At least more manufacturers will introduce or expand their nail gun lines..

Umm, not so much. Every electric tool I've ever cracked open contains brushes. There's no real need to have brushless electric tools. Brushes are extremely cheap, and the energy and heat savings associated with brushless are not very important if you're not running off batteries...

Well I was going off what my grade 12 high school physics teacher told me when I asked what a brushless motor was when we were studying electromagnetic forces last month. But I decided to look further into it and turns out It isn't exactly what he said. Looked at Wikipedia turns out you have the magnets on the rotor and the electromagnets on the housing. 

That's nice!!! Even the the case looks really cool and big anybody have an idea when this is coming over

ya why is that, you would think they have some different specialty tools but something that is so general as that you think it would get released everywhere same time.....

Regopit, I too would love to get my hands on that!! I have already emailed Milwaukee about brining it over. I suggest everyone who would like to see it doe the same!!

I just sent it through their "contact" tab on their website, I think I selected "product inquiry" as question route.

I'm all for festool and everything but I really cant wrap my head around being stuck with Centrotec bits.. and to be honest I don't think they have the nicest most innovative drills anyway.. but, the eccentric chuck is hands down sick!!

• Like 1

more  bluetooth radio chargers-

wishlist-

I want to see a compact dewalt 20/12v bluetooth radio/charger and a m12 bluetooth radio charger-

heated jackets with heated sleeves

12v only bluetooth speakers

brushless 18v miter saws

36v brushless miter saws and table saws

full line of cordless 18v nailers

18v inflator/air compressors from pro brands - I shouldn't have to go to a diy brand to get one

• Like 1

more  bluetooth radio chargers-

wishlist-

I want to see a compact dewalt 20/12v bluetooth radio/charger and a m12 bluetooth radio charger-

heated jackets with heated sleeves

12v only bluetooth speakers

brushless 18v miter saws

36v brushless miter saws and table saws

full line of cordless 18v nailers

18v inflator/air compressors from pro brands - I shouldn't have to go to a diy brand to get one

It's crazy that the pro brands don't have an inflator yet. I don't think I will be ever able to give up Ryobi completly they have tools that none else has on one battery platform for the most part. The one thing is I would love to have an adapter that would allow me to have only one battery platform.