18 volt batteries question/replacement

mws_1984

I had gotten a tool bundle a few years ago that came with (2) 18 volt batteries. DC9099 is the model # on the batteries. Charger is DW9116. Well one of them seems to not be holding a charge for too long anymore. If I was to replace it with an 18 volt XRP would it still work with the tools and charger I have. I don't  have the model #s offhand for the tools. I do know if I try to search them on any store site like Home Depot they don't come up anymore. But just want to make sure before I go out and buy something that I can't return for some reason or another. 

Recall info on the DW9116 charger.

So mine doesn't have a date code(201007DB) that falls in the range they mentioned. But also no sticker near it indicating it was already repaired and not a recall. Not sure what to do. Nearest factory service center is 60 miles away. There are local tool repair shops listed on the dewalt site, but not sure if they can do the repair if I needed to take it in. I haven't had any trouble with it so maybe I'm good? 

http://dewalt.com/product-recalls/cpsc-dewalt-industrial-tool-co-announce-recall-of-battery-chargers-dw9116.aspx

2000 - CPSC, DEWALT Industrial Tool Co. Announce Recall of Battery Chargers DW9116

Safety Announcementwh_spacer.gif
CPSC, DEWALT Industrial Tool Co. Announce Recall of Battery Chargers DW9116
divider557.gifwh_spacer.gifwh_spacer.gif DEWALT Recall Hotline: (888) 388-3273
CPSC Contact: Ken Giles, (301) 504-0580 Ext. 1184

CPSC,  DEWALT® Industrial Tool Co. Announce Recall of Battery Chargers

WASHINGTON, D.C. - In cooperation with the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), DEWALT® Industrial Tool Co., of Baltimore, MD, is voluntarily recalling about 825,000  battery chargers (model DW9116)  for repair. These chargers are for 9.6- to 18-volt batteries used with DEWALT cordless tools. Metal clips inside the chargers could come loose and stick through the chargers’ vents, possibly resulting in consumers receiving an electrical shock.

DEWALT has not received any reports of injuries with these chargers. This recall is being conducted to prevent the possibility of injuries.

The battery chargers are model number DW9116, which is written on the front and bottom of the charger housing. The chargers are black with yellow lettering. DEWALT is written on the front of the chargers. The recalled chargers have date codes from 9927EM through 9952EM and 0001EM through 0031EM located on the bottom of the charger. Chargers with a yellow or green dot sticker near the date code already have been repaired, and are not recalled.

Or you could call Dewalt help line. I am not really a Dewalt guy, I have the three blade planer and love it. I called on a unrelated issue about the DW780 and DW782 miter saws. Very good, honest, quick help by a confident tech. The guy was pretty cocky but he was helpful and gave me an honest answer. Anyways, I'd call them and before you risk blowing something up or more importantly, setting your house afire, get it from the horses mouth. They will have an answer for you!

• Like 1

i guess a recall list from tool companies is a double edge sword......come buy our new line of blah blah blah and oh while your at it go www.wescrewedup*com and check to see if any of our tools might kill you on their own.....

How much is the replacement xrp battery going to cost you? The more economical thing might be to pick up a black Friday drill deal. A few places and tool manufacturers are going to have drill kits for around 99 dollars. If you have other 18v Dewalt tools I see why you would want to stay but you could get a new lithium ion drill for around that price.

DC 9096-2s are pretty common at both Home Depots and Lowe's. You can usually pick up the 2 pack for $99 about 4 times a year, right now being one of them. They are the heavier duty batteries than you will get with the $99 "Black Friday" drills, which come with the batteries listed in the original post. Unless you are a light duty user or your tools are worn out you are better off buying the replacement batteries versus the "Black Friday" compact drill kits.

DC 9096-2s are pretty common at both Home Depots and Lowe's. You can usually pick up the 2 pack for $99 about 4 times a year, right now being one of them. They are the heavier duty batteries than you will get with the $99 "Black Friday" drills, which come with the batteries listed in the original post. Unless you are a light duty user or your tools are worn out you are better off buying the replacement batteries versus the "Black Friday" compact drill kits.

Yeah I actually have 2 gift cards to use for Home Depot. So probably will just get that 2 pack at some point. 

You can get the Dewalt Dcd 771 which has lithium ion batteries which is better investment than sticking with the nicad setup he has now. The DCD771 might not be perfect but its still a decent drill. http://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-20-Volt-Max-Lithium-Ion-Cordless-Drill-Driver-Kit-DCD771C2/204279858?PID=4150373&AID=11210757&cj=true&cm_mmc=CJ-_-4150373-_-11210757

Right now Home Depot has the M12 Drill and Impact driver kit with a free xc 3.0 battery for 99 dollars right now. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-M12-12-Volt-Lithium-Ion-Cordless-Drill-Driver-Impact-Driver-Combo-Kit-2-Tool-with-Free-M12-XC-Battery-Pack-2494-22B/205482513?PID=4150373&AID=11210757&cj=true&cm_mmc=CJ-_-4150373-_-11210757

Or the Ridgid 12v kit with a 2.0 and a 4.0 battery for 99 dollars also http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-12-Volt-Hyper-Lithium-Ion-Drill-Driver-and-Impact-Driver-Combo-Kit-R9000K/205358335?PID=4150373&AID=11210757&cj=true&cm_mmc=CJ-_-4150373-_-11210757

The nice thing about Ridgid is when you register with the LSA they will cover the tool and battery for the life of the tool. It's not a true warranty but I know some people like having that extra protection especially with battery packs and how expensive they are.

The HD I went to only had single packs on that battery and it was $99 for just one. Might have to look online and have it sent to store for the 2 pack. All depends what I want to do I guess. Thankfully the tools I have will all take the same battery. Just a matter of the charger now. It has worked fine for me and nothing has blown up in having it for several years.