Right angle drill

FrosBros82

I have been looking at right angle drills and been trying to get information on them but there isn't much out there....the only detailed review I have found are for the 18v best one I found was of course the TIA 20v dewalt drill. Wish they would make an updated brushless one but this is just be hoping and will most likely end up with the 20v Dewalt. But I do like the clutch on the Milwaukee but I don't have the m18 platform yet......

I don't need it for anything in particular, it is just something that would have came in handy on a few occasions for work/home. Honestly, I might just go with the M12 tool as it is smaller and can fir into tight spaces and so forth. However, I usually feel a little more comfortable buying tools when I hear a few thoughts on them first.

FB82

The good news about the Milwaukee is you can currently get it for free with a kit purchase, check out Home Depot or CPO if there is any other tools you might need.

Yea I'll need it for running electrical so the clutch is not something I need but a nice to have, but would like the power of an 18v/20v, if there was an m12 Fuel right angle I'd be all over that.

I've got the M12 version.  I've actually ended up using it quite a bit more than I had thought I would for tight spaces.  Before using it, I had one of those direction changing do-dads, but it just wasn't up to drilling a hole in a stud for running a wire through.  The right angle M12 had no problem at all going through 3 stacked 2x studs.  I've used it quite a lot to put in L brackets underneath sagging stairs where a regular drill just won't fit.  Now, I wouldn't use it for a full electric rough-in, but for here and there when I need to drill or screw in a tighter space, I'm very happy with it.

Downsides - none really.  The paddle switch takes a little getting used to and the forward/reverse switch isn't like any other M12 or M18 tool I own, but I imagine that's primarily because of the form factor.  Battery life is fine - again, I don't use it all day long so a fuel version would likely not add much value for me.

Really I see no reason for right angle drills unless you drill tones of holes in hard to reach areas, I probably would only buy one to drill out broken header bolts on Cummins because that's the only time I use a right angle drill anyway then again right angle drills look kind of weak compared to normal drills.

I actually used the Dewalt right angle adapter for about a year.  It worked just fine for building some small projects for my children; for driving screws and even the occasional drill hole.

The big problem I had with it was that, by design, it is a bit floppy and hard to control.  It spins around the drill axis as the drill turns and when the torque increases to anything more than a pre-drilled hole, the whole thing starts to spin.  For small screws this is no problem.  Using it to drive a spade bit or a screw larger than 3/4" - I ended up needing a third hand - one to hold the drill, one to hold a pair of pliers to steady the right angle adapter and a third hand to place the screw and/or hold the hinge/bracket in place.  Magnetic bits and double sided tape only got me so far until I got fed up and just bought the right angle drill.  Did I absolutely need it?  Probably not, but then again, it made my life easier, wasn't too expensive and works well for what I need it for.