M18 impact wrenches

Ben Woodruff

Hi folks,

I'm looking at the M18 impact wrenches (2654 & 2763), and I'm wondering which one I need. I know of course the answer is "both," but both don't fit in the budget. ;)

I'm leaning toward the 2654 for a few reasons:

It is less expensive

My sockets are 3/8"

Portability

Frankly I won't be using it all that often, and would be using it pretty much exclusively for lug nuts on medium sized vehicles (Silverado 1500, Chevy Express van).

My primary concern with the 2654 is that I recently used my 2653 impact driver with a 3/8" socket adapter to do the job on the van and it struggled (to the point that we ended up getting out the 1/2" pneumatic to finish the job). Is the 2654 going to do a better job or do I really need to go up to the 2763 and either get some 1/2" sockets or use a 3/8" to 1/2" adapter?

Would appreciate your input!

Ben

2763 all the way bro U don't know how much easier it make life owning that fuel Ive used it more than I originally thought u was I take it everywhere we go we drive to San diego a lot and it's great to know that U will cut the time in half being on the side of a dangerous freeway rotating tires and not having to turn on UR compressor and wait till it fills I just bought the m12 3/8 fuel impact wrench that is also a beast but I got that after the 2763. I would go big first and get the other for the smaller jobs after.

• Like 1

I have the 2763 coming tomorrow.  I will be using it to loosen rusted bolts and for lug nuts.  To tighten nuts I plan to tighten with the switch in position 1 (100lbs).  For smaller nuts i plan to use my 2462 (83lbs) with the 3/8 socket adapter.  In both cases I will finish torque with my torque wrench.  Not even thinking of the 2654 (200lbs) it seems weak for real rusted nuts and too strong for smaller nuts.  Your 2653 (133lbs) would be a great companion for a 2763.  My air impact (250lbs) has failed to remove some rusted nuts that is why I'm getting the 2763 powerhouse.  The 2654 (200lbs) is not as strong as my air impact (250lbs) so you may be disappointed with it.

Thanks folks. Not what I wanted to hear, but I appreciate the feedback! I'll save a few more pennies up and get the 2763 and some 1/2" sockets.

I have used a 1/2 to 3/8 adapter to use 3/8 sockets with my 1/2 air impact.

Thanks for chiming in redmed! I'm on board with the 2763 -- you and the others are right. I've already got the small guy, now I need the big guns. Might as well not compromise. Better to save up at little more and get what I'll be happy with. I hate to spend that much money for the number of times I'll use it, but on the other hand I'd hate just as much or more to struggle with not having the right tools for the job.

I thought about using an adapter, as I love my 3/8" sockets, but along the lines I mentioned above I guess I'd rather just bite the bullet and get the 1/2" sockets in the sizes I'm likely to use.

Do you own the 2653 Bremon?

I do own the 2653 as well, I use it regularly for various projects. I would still rather have a 2654 in addition to the 2653. If I could only have one of the two it would be the wrench. Here's my logic to that: the wrench has more torque than the driver and still has three settings. When you use adapters you lose torque. The 3/8 with an adapter could approximate the driver, the driver with an adapter will never fully cover what the wrench could do. With that said, with a 2763 it's a moot point. That big boy can handle anything I throw at it, including lugs etc on 5 ton trucks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I bought a 2763 a couple months ago. It is awesome, but I just haven't used it that much. I sure would have loved it back when I used to run heavy equipment for a living. I have just used it to rotate tires on my Avalanche. It probably didn't need it but I had to try out my new toy Lol. I hate to say it but I listed the 2763 on eBay this week. I think I'm going to sell the 2763 and replace it with a 2654. I just think I would have a lot more uses for it and still be able to remove lugs on light duty vehicles occasionally.

Ben,

I was debating the same thing a couple months ago. I went with the 2763 and now I'm wishing I had went with the 2654. The 2763 is awesome, but just an overkill for little 1/2 ton truck lugs IMO.

I bought a 2763 a couple months ago. It is awesome, but I just haven't used it that much. I sure would have loved it back when I used to run heavy equipment for a living. I have just used it to rotate tires on my Avalanche. It probably didn't need it but I had to try out my new toy Lol. I hate to say it but I listed the 2763 on eBay this week. I think I'm going to sell the 2763 and replace it with a 2654. I just think I would have a lot more uses for it and still be able to remove lugs on light duty vehicles occasionally.

Ben,

I was debating the same thing a couple months ago. I went with the 2763 and now I'm wishing I had went with the 2654. The 2763 is awesome, but just an overkill for little 1/2 ton truck lugs IMO.

I did not get the 2763 to remove lug nuts.  I find my four-way tire iron just as quick.  I plan to use the 2763 on those hard to turn rusted nuts I have used my air wrench on in the past.  Some nuts where too tight for the air wrench and caused quite a problem.  I got the 2763 with these nuts in mind, plus I can throw the 2763 in the truck to use away from the shop.  The only advantage I see of the 2654 is weight.  If I plan to use a impact for many nuts/bolts I can throw a 3/8" adapter on my M18 or M12 1/4" hex impact.  I probably will finish tightening with a torque wrench anyway. 

I did not get the 2763 to remove lug nuts.  I find my four-way tire iron just as quick.  I plan to use the 2763 on those hard to turn rusted nuts I have used my air wrench on in the past.  Some nuts where too tight for the air wrench and caused quite a problem.  I got the 2763 with these nuts in mind, plus I can throw the 2763 in the truck to use away from the shop.  The only advantage I see of the 2654 is weight.  If I plan to use a impact for many nuts/bolts I can throw a 3/8" adapter on my M18 or M12 1/4" hex impact.  I probably will finish tightening with a torque wrench anyway.

It sounds like you have a great use for the 2763. I'm very impressed with it. I just got the Fuel bug and saw a good deal on the 2763 pop up on eBay. If money wasn't an issue I would just buy the 2654 and keep the 2763. I've added a bunch of fuel tools to the tool box this year and can't justify keeping it.

I have picked up these this year.

M12 Fuel:

2402 screwdriver

2404 hammer drill

2453 impact driver

2520 hackzall

M12:

2426 multi tool

2460 rotary tool

2362 led lantern

M18 Fuel:

2603 drill

2712 rotary hammer

2720 sawzall

2731 circ saw

2763 impact wrench

M18:

2612 rotary hammer

I sold a pile of my DeWalt 20 & 12 volt stuff on eBay. I had a DCD995 Hammer drill and DCF886 impact. I never liked the hammer drill function on the DCD995 so I picked up the non hammer 2603 and got a rotary hammer. Wow what a difference. I'm really happy with the M12 Fuel 2463 in the place of the 18/20v impact driver. I had been thinking of getting the 2454 because I don't like using the 1/4 hex to 3/8 adapters. After thinking about it more I think the 2654 would fill the sweet spot for me. Big enough for lags and small lugs but small enough to not mind using for smaller projects. I might just end up keeping 2763 if it doesn't bring what I'm asking.

Yeah I have the 2763 to get me out of a jam, when nothing else will work like a breaker bar with pipe extension.  My air wrench saved me a few times and failed me other times.  The 2763 is for those "other times" hopefully saving me from bringing out the torch or grinding wheel.

I have thought about getting the 2402 screwdriver but have read not very good reviews about it's 2401 non-fuel brother.  Does the 2402 have advantages over using the 2404 drill?

Yeah I have the 2763 to get me out of a jam, when nothing else will work like a breaker bar with pipe extension.  My air wrench saved me a few times and failed me other times.  The 2763 is for those "other times" hopefully saving me from bringing out the torch or grinding wheel.

I have thought about getting the 2402 screwdriver but have read not very good reviews about it's 2401 non-fuel brother.  Does the 2402 have advantages over using the 2404 drill?

Two advantages come to mind. Overall length and hex chuck. It's really just a 2403 with a different chuck. I really like mine. It awesome for stuff like installing cabinet hardware. It was the first fuel tool I bought. I bought it to replace a DCF610. There is a huge difference in power between the 2402 and the DCF610. I really like how easily you can switch over to drill mode on the 2402. It makes it really nice when switch between a countersink bit and driver bit. You only have to turn the mode selector ring. This way you don't have to readjust the torque setting. The chuck is different from the fuel impact. It's really easy to insert and remove bits with one hand. When you pull the collar forward to release the bit it stays forward until you inset the next bit.

• 2 weeks later...

The one thing I'm not into with the Milwaukee impact wrenches is the anvil has the detent pin to retain the socket. I much prefer the friction fit on my Metabo - less fiddly. Otherwise the Milwaukee is awesome IMO.