Sprinter?

PaulE

Not sure where to post this. But these are my mobile tool boxes.

I currently have 3 trucks and a few trailers

09 gmc 3500 ext cab srw utility body 4x4

09 gmc 1500 ext Cab 4x4

07 tundra ext can 4x4

12' dump trailer

16' enclosed trailer

I have been thinking of adding a sprinter to my fleet, and was wondering if any contractors on here are using one, I have been looking at 2 different ones

A 2500 140" wb van with shelving

3500 drw cut away with a service body on it.

Both are 2015 with the 4cy and 7sp trans.

I want a van to help keep material dry and help stock tools and supplies on the job. The sprinters caught my eye because of the mpg and the tall back.

If you have one, how do you like it?

• 6 months later...

i went ahead a few weeks ago and got a left over 2014 sprinter 3500 cut away with the morgon olson UCV service body.

after a few weeks of driving it, i really like it. it has more then enough power, you would never know it is a 4cyl.

I put about 25,000 miles/yr on my truck, so this should be a huge fuel savings for me, and allow me to carry more tools and materials. it is a little louder then my GMC's and not quite as comfortable, but the storage space makes up for it. I bough a bunch of Tstak boxes for it, which fit perfectly in the side bins. This vehicle will be very organized and hold everything i need.

here is what it looks like

http://morganolson.com/products/ucv-ultimate-contractors-vehicle/

the first 3 tanks of fuel i am getting 19-20mpg's. Much better then my 3500 GMC sierra 4x4 which gets 11mpg.

anyone else have a sprinter? how do you like it, or what do you not like about it?

It is 11,xxx gvwr. thanks for the heads up, most are not aware of the DOT regulations.

I have a DOT #, medical card, etc. PITA, but i already have it for the GMC 3500.\

i believe it is 17,000 gcvw. I dont plan to tow with it ever, still surprising that the little engine can move that kind of weight.

It is 11,xxx gvwr. thanks for the heads up, most are not aware of the DOT regulations.

I have a DOT #, medical card, etc. PITA, but i already have it for the GMC 3500.\

i believe it is 17,000 gcvw. I dont plan to tow with it ever, still surprising that the little engine can move that kind of weight.

That is impressive for that thing! What kind of engine does it have?

A Mercedes 2.1 L 4cyl turbo diesel with a 7 speed auto trans. I believe it is also offered in some Benz cars SUVs

Really is an impressive motor/ trans.

The gearing is really close and shifts quick and smooth.

Nice buy Paul. IL still using a pickup and a enclosed trailer.. a carpenter friend of mine email and also my electrician both bought similar vans this year (promoter and the nissan nv2500) they both are coming from pickups and rave about them....

I don't think it's for me. Maybe as a second work vehicle or if I have a second crew running one day, give it to that crews foreman. For now though I usually can just leave my enclosed trailer right on site for the duration of the job and then drive my truck back and forth.. that way too, if I'm not on site all the tools are still there and guys can be getting work done without me..

NER, I never thought i'd be a van guy, I love my GM full size pick ups. after getting my first utility body (GMC 3500 SRW sierra) I learned to love being more organized, and having everything on me at all times (tools and materials) . Prior to that i just had the ext cab filled with tools. I bought an enclosed trailer, but i hate driving around with it. It typically stays parked at an exterior job or at my shop for storage. When on single projects the trucks work well for me, but as my business grows i let the guys take the trucks to the site, and i bounce from job to job with the sprinter. So far so good.

Rainy days, are what had me looking for a van. i hated loading and unloading trucks at night, and always worried about cargo getting wet. Once i started looking, i realized i needed a service body van, then i came across the sprinters.

I can totally see the appeal of vans and can probably see myself being in your shoes one day as things expand. My truck is my work and personal vehicle so it's nice to have the truck for that.. the trailer really just hops from house to house for me which means it can sometimes be in the same place for months... it would be nice to have a van for material runs when the weather isn't great and also to just have a second set of essential tools in. That way I wouldn't have to drive to where my trailer is if I wanted to do a small job somewhere else.

All in due time I guess...

My dad is a painter and has always had savana/express vans. When he just bought his new van about a year and a half ago I really pushed him to consider a new style van but he was to stubborn!! He really didn't want anything smaller than a v8 which I found so weird because he never even tows anything.. he just doesn't understand what these new vehicles are capable of I guess. Old dog!!