Drywall holes????

RickyMcGrath

I recently cut a channel in the drywall in my laundry room about 2" wide over 6' long to reroute the electrical.

I wasn't sure of which method I would use to patch it and didn't really think through the process. Well, I was using a can of DAP spray foam elsewhere and I realized I had over half a can left and that stuff doesn't store well after initial use so I decided to carefully fill the drywall in to create a backing for joint compound. I didn't completely full the wall, but I troweled it just right to give some support for the joint compound and I gotta say, it's better than anything else I may have used before. It grabs the gypsum nicely, provides great support and took the joint compound MUCH better than I imagined. I had a spot or two that expanded more than I anticipated but I let it dry and with a sharp knife, cut a shallow V groove into the foam to make room for joint compound. I think I have a new favorite method for certain drywall patches.

• Like 1

I wish I had thought of this a few months ago. I cut a similar 6' long, 6" wide hole in my sons drywall to move an outlet and run a wire for a new heater. (Yes I know I'm a dumbass and I should have just gone down into the crawl space, but it's an exterior wall and I was concerned that is have to drill through the plate.)

Anyway, the Frankenstein patch job hat I ended up having to do with 15 pieces of drywall jigsaw assembled would have been a LOT easier had I just foamed it in and been done with it. This would have solved my vapor barrier / insulation issues as well. I haven't hit it with a final sanding / paint coat yet so I can't say how horrid it will look yet r if it will smooth out nicely.

best method for patching small holes is cut drywall 2" bigger all around then cut drywall back to same size hole that needs to be patched leaving a border of paper then place in hole and mud..... see pic.....

dry1.png

So what you are saying is that the electric line is just under the surface of the dry wall and the only thing covering the wire is the dry wall mud.

I'm pretty sure that's NOT what I'm saying.

Its centered on the studs with nail plates on the stud with proper slack secured to the end of the run before it goes into the boxes. So it's not really much different that if 1/2" gypsum was over it. There's ~3/4 - 1" of spray foam in front. Only difference I see is if someone goes to drive a nail or screw in that area, there won't be anything to grab and they'll move up or down accordingly.

• 3 weeks later...

Very interesting idea. Never heard of that. It's a lot easier then I was taught.

I was always taught for big wholes cut to the center of the studs an place new piece in. Then insert drywall, tape/mud, prime, an paint.

For small wholes just use a piece with some of that mesh screen stuff.

For small wholes just use a piece with some of that mesh screen stuff.

tape is your best bet, the mesh tends to cause cracks.........never use the mesh.......at least I never do.....

• 2 weeks later...

2 things, I don't make money doing any kind of drywall/taping/mudding......actually I couldn't because I take to long to do it .....only good thing is anywhere I do it.... it is perfect......my house my rules I always say....lol a couple buddies say I go to wide for my joints I say maybe but you will never see a joint either.....