Dewalt Brushless Now Built in USA

Gatorb888

How sweet is that! It is a smart move and helps keep jobs at home. My first tool love was Dewalt. I am more diversified in my tool brands today but if they keep moving tool production back here I will start putting more yellow back in my arsenal.

What exactly does "Built in the USA" mean? Are they just using a play on "Assembled in the USA?" I'm a DeWalt fan through and through, but creative marketing can be deceptive.

Great question. Legally, we cannot say "Made in the USA" because some of the parts of the drill are made overseas. For example, chucks, triggers, and batteries, circuit boards. Most if not all power tool companies don't make either of these items, they are purchased from other companies who make them for us. 

However, we do make some of the parts here in the US:

• Transmission Parts in Hampstead, MD.
  • Drive Shafts in Jackson, TN.
  • Tool Housings in Cheraw, SC.
  • Wind Motors in the Charlotte, NC facility
  • Final assembly in the Charlotte Facility

The fact is, it would be nearly impossible to make 100% of the tool parts here in the states using 100% USA made materials (see metals, copper, etc). So that is why you don't see a lot of "Made in the USA" marketing anymore. Because legally if there are parts of the product that come from another country, it could mean a law suit. 

For example, Boeing builds airplanes here in the USA. I doubt they can say "made in the USA". Because parts of their planes come from all over the world. Same goes for car manufactures, and many other companies. They can however say "Built in the USA with global materials".

Disclaimer: I am saying this stuff not as an employee of the company. Some of this info may be inaccurate but I am answering to the best of my knowledge. 

• Like 1

How sweet is that! It is a smart move and helps keep jobs at home. My first tool love was Dewalt. I am more diversified in my tool brands today but if they keep moving tool production back here I will start putting more yellow back in my arsenal.

Im with you my first tool love was dewalt when i was about 14/15 years i only wanted dewalt my first tool was the old 18v hammer drill that bad boy is a work horse still going strong thoo its been at a friends house for a few months now but only.had to buy new batterys for it. but.now im more into every brand i like to have a mix match and multiples
  • Like 1