Any of these welders any good guys?

Bigmikez

all of them will weld, but you have to remember these are all DIY welders..... light sheet metal, 1/8" plate, 1/8" angle iron, schedule 40 pipe might be a stretch....but mostly light duty stuff not going to start building structural with them ......and that is only if you know how to dial them in properly......

for the beginner welder, fluxcore wire is best not a gas wire feeder.....prep work is key, everything clean with sandblaster or grinder....wheelabrator is good too....anti-splatter is your friend spray everything........

• Like 1

all of them will weld, but you have to remember these are all DIY welders..... light sheet metal, 1/8" plate, 1/8" angle iron, schedule 40 pipe might be a stretch....but mostly light duty stuff not going to start building structural with them ......and that is only if you know how to dial them in properly......

Thanks comp I don't mess with the welding at the shop to much but I wanna learn and would like to have one for around the house jobs.i almost bought one from Craigslist it was a miller I believe for like $200 bucks but the guy had sold before I contacted him

bigmike, if you have access to a welder do yourself a favor and take the time out and play with one before you rush out and buy something......welding is not for everyone, there are many welders out there that will say it is easy but it is not one of those things that the more you do it the better you get at it.....I personally know many guys that have been welders for 30+ years and they still can't weld very good....they won't admit it but they don't have to, I have tested them and the results speak for themselves....lol

• Like 3

bigmike, if you have access to a welder do yourself a favor and take the time out and play with one before you rush out and buy something......welding is not for everyone, there are many welders out there that will say it is easy but it is not one of those things that the more you do it the better you get at it.....I personally know many guys that have been welders for 30+ years and they still can't weld very good....they won't admit it but they don't have to, I have tested them and the results speak for themselves....lol

. Lol Thanks Comp I will do that then Thanks for the knowledge bro!

As a full time welder I wouldn't be caught with one of those ever. Stick will miller, Lincoln or even esab for welders an you should be good. Hobart for your light duty will do as well.

I would say those are sort of the harbor freight level welders. They get your weekend guy working at low duty cycles low amps an limited adjustablity. They break an you throw them away. The price point you can't beat.

• Like 1

I just weld around the farm fixing things so I am by no means an expert. It sounds like Fletcher is the one to talk to. I have a small Hobart I use for tinkering around with. Decent price and really portable. If you aren't doing any heavy fab work I would think that would be sufficient for most small jobs. If shit gets real though I bust out the old Lincoln!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

in my early days I won't be scared to say I poured out 5000 miles of good ol 7018......then the 0.045 came along.....mig tig stainless aluminum, titanium, magnesium submerged arc....after my career in fabrication engineering I was a welding inspector last 4 yrs before I retired....

Lincoln was probably the best wire feeders we had, Esab made good plasma's.....and miller were best for gas or diesels

SMAW CWB all position ticket

GMAWF

FCAW

GMAWO

GTAW

FCAW

TSSA

• Like 1

in my early days I won't be scared to say I poured out 5000 miles of good ol 7018......then the 0.045 came along.....mig tig stainless aluminum, titanium, magnesium submerged arc....after my career in fabrication engineering I was a welding inspector last 4 yrs before I retired....

Lincoln was probably the best wire feeders we had, Esab made good plasma's.....and miller were best for gas or diesels

SMAW CWB all position ticket

GMAWF

FCAW

GMAWO

GTAW

FCAW

TSSA

My hats off to you sir

I just started a few years ago in welding. No veteran pipeliner but i can pass a bend test an have just several AWS certifications.

Hoping one day down the road I can say I've done 5000 miles of 7018

My hats off to you sir

I just started a few years ago in welding. No veteran pipeliner but i can pass a bend test an have just several AWS certifications.

Hoping one day down the road I can say I've done 5000 miles of 7018

good on you, ya I was in and around welding for almost 35 years, first few years we rebuilt hammer hog knives 10 hour days straight stick all day everyday....stick after stick.....then shifted to doing my machinist apprenticeship, became a journeyman machinist, the shop was growing so I went into becoming a fitter....then a fabrication engineer.......and finally a welding inspector..

here is one of my last jobs as a fitter, 380 ft high when it was put together 40ft sections of 19 ft dia. 3030 stainless 

just a tidbit, we had to make a special trailer to get them to the jobsite....

uu.png

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    qipper
    Newest Member
    qipper