solar generator project housed in tough box

BIGBEARJT

picked a dirt cheap 135w solar panel from a yard sale, $20, brought it home cleaned it up and works great, so i was thinking, perfect opportunity to build that solar generator ive been wanting to do for a while. I had a spare large dewalt tough box laying around and thought, hey why not use that to house everything?

Im constantly making improvements, but this is how my current setup looks and working, have a 100ah deep cycle marine battery, 1100w inverter, charge controller, on a good sunny day like today im able to easily charge all my toys, other batteries, as you can see i charged all 6 of my makita batteries, 4ah capacity, all without breaking a sweat, i plan to add outlets on the outside, and other 12v accessory ports, but overall, its a great little setup to charge all my stuff anywhere, and its in a tough box, its heavy but its quiet, zero maintenance and portable.   

picked a dirt cheap 135w solar panel from a yard sale, $20, brought it home cleaned it up and works great, so i was thinking, perfect opportunity to build that solar generator ive been wanting to do for a while. I had a spare large dewalt tough box laying around and thought, hey why not use that to house everything?

Im constantly making improvements, but this is how my current setup looks and working, have a 100ah deep cycle marine battery, 1100w inverter, charge controller, on a good sunny day like today im able to easily charge all my toys, other batteries, as you can see i charged all 6 of my makita batteries, 4ah capacity, all without breaking a sweat, i plan to add outlets on the outside, and other 12v accessory ports, but overall, its a great little setup to charge all my stuff anywhere, and its in a tough box, its heavy but its quiet, zero maintenance and portable.

More importantly, can it run a coffee pot? Lol

Jimbo

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I built one of these in a Ridgid case. It works great and has plenty of power. Mostly use it on camping expedition. Besides the charge controller, DC inverter is most important. There are two basic types. Pure Sin and Modified Sin. Modified Sin is the most common but due to the nature of the 'AC' produced, modified sin inverters are not recommended for inductive loads. That means you can't plug anything with a motor or heating coil into the inverter. This eliminates most power tools. A pure sin inverter produces a true sinwave and can operate motors and heaters. These are often found in RV's and big rigs or boats. Pure a Sin is better but also $$$$. I don't know if you have preformed any load calculations but please be sure to fuse your generator and size the wires properly. Otherwise your generator turns into a bomb. Also be aware that electronics produce gas, the gas is flammable and can explode with arc flash. Generally the battery should be isolated from any switching gear. Although this may not be practical, proper venting should minimize arc flash dangers.

My version of the solar generator is not complete. In fact I only had a few hours to throw it together. Drilled a hole on the side of the case and used a plug to seal it. I use this to pass solar and power wires through. Eventually I will install proper bulkhead fittings. (Too many projects, not enough time)

Ridgid Tools In Action - Pro Edition Solar Generator

post-28428-0-45359100-1445286529_thumb.j

Messy but functional

post-28428-0-68288600-1445286613_thumb.j

LED light strip, just because

post-28428-0-11797200-1445286675_thumb.j

• Like 1