Mitutoyo

jbw55

I've been wanting to get a good digital caliper. Where did you get it?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Amazon.....I got model 500-196-30 CAL it has the certificate of traceability to NIST $185 They also offer without the certificate for $119.....these are some of the finest and made in Japan.

They're the best, buy one of those and treat them well and they'll treat you very well. It's the Fluke of calipers, nothing quite compares. BUT if you don't need suuuuper accurate you can definitely go cheaper...in fact, I would always recommend buying a cheap HF caliper to use in cases where you can cause harm to the good one, those you don't need to worry about getting them near a magnet or dropping.

Nice pick up, they're buttery smooth aren't they? You know it's quality the moment you pick it up, worth every penny.

They're the best, buy one of those and treat them well and they'll treat you very well. It's the Fluke of calipers, nothing quite compares. BUT if you don't need suuuuper accurate you can definitely go cheaper...in fact, I would always recommend buying a cheap HF caliper to use in cases where you can cause harm to the good one, those you don't need to worry about getting them near a magnet or dropping.

Nice pick up, they're buttery smooth aren't they? You know it's quality the moment you pick it up, worth every penny.

Yep, Mitutoyo makes nice stuff.....I have a HF caliper its junk. For me if I need a caliper its more due to accurate measurement needed otherwise I could just use a ruler. I'm taking the Sledge-O-Matic to the HF one :)

Yep, Mitutoyo makes nice stuff.....I have a HF caliper its junk. For me if I need a caliper its more due to accurate measurement needed otherwise I could just use a ruler. I'm taking the Sledge-O-Matic to the HF one :)

The thing is it's more accurate and easier to use than a ruler. It's great for measuring watch band lugs or stupid things like that where you basically just need to round to the nearest mm. I'd trust it to the nearest 10th but if you need more accuracy, get something better. I used my cheap-o caliper to measure some leads yesterday because I need to modify a pcb's mounting hole for a new part, worked better than eyeballing and I couldn't use a ruler. It certainly has it's uses but it will NEVER be able to compare to a toyo. It's like a cheap multimeter, they're fine for checking batteries and fuses...but they'll never replace a Fluke for just about everything else. :)

The thing is it's more accurate and easier to use than a ruler. It's great for measuring watch band lugs or stupid things like that where you basically just need to round to the nearest mm. I'd trust it to the nearest 10th but if you need more accuracy, get something better. I used my cheap-o caliper to measure some leads yesterday because I need to modify a pcb's mounting hole for a new part, worked better than eyeballing and I couldn't use a ruler. It certainly has it's uses but it will NEVER be able to compare to a toyo. It's like a cheap multimeter, they're fine for checking batteries and fuses...but they'll never replace a Fluke for just about everything else. :)

My above comment about the ruler was more tongue-in-cheek.....I do understand your point regarding damage to a nice caliper and have a cheapo on hand, appreciate your advise.

• Like 1

I think it's debatable whether it is worth 15 times the price unless you are a pro. A home owner that just wants to have a caliper around may not want to spend 150 bucks on a nice set. As long as you know what you are getting then you are ok

I think it's debatable whether it is worth 15 times the price unless you are a pro. A home owner that just wants to have a caliper around may not want to spend 150 bucks on a nice set. As long as you know what you are getting then you are ok

Not so sure you need to be a pro to like and own nice tools, many here on this forum are not pro's but they choose to spend more on the better stuff.....why did you buy your Dewalt tools and not the stuff at harbor freight?? Spending more money was worth it to me but may not be to others, definately a YMMV thing :)

I've found a

Mitutoyo 504-500-196-20 for approx 100€

What do you you guys think ? Yay or nay ?

I think that's the older version of the current 500-196-30 model.....nothing wrong with it and still a great caliper, honestly you can't go wrong with any of there calipers. Does it have the certificate of traceability to NIST ??

Guys, just found this hidden gem:

http://www.hroberts-di.com/precision-measuring-tools/calipers-dividerstrammels/slide-calipers/digital-calipers/mitutoyo-500-196-30-absolute-digimatic-caliper-150mm-6-001mm-00005/

Thought it could be too good to be true, but I have a feeling that it's a reputable site. Fingers crossed.

That's a smokin deal if its legit.....you should check and see how much the calibrated version is.

• 3 weeks later...