Dewalt or Milwaukee ????

Downshftking

I think Milwaukee has the strongest offering at the moment, with Makita not far behind. If you'd like to do a bit of an analysis (mathematically), you can try downloading my comparison spreadsheet and tinkering with it yourself. The default values in it are just my opinion.

http://professional-power-tool-guide.com/power-tool-forum/index.php?/topic/6700-which-18v-brandplatform-is-best-you-for-try-this-calculator/

Makita takes first in my book really because of the size if their 18v lineup, 36v tools that use 2 18v batteries (more power without needing to buy into a new battery platform) and just overall high quality bulletproof tools.. but Milwaukee is right behind especially in something like their top end cordless drills. The two are essentially identical.

They upped their warranty to 3 years on all lxt tools and batteries..

I dont think any compatibility your talking about is as big of an issue as you think.. I currently have about 30 Makita tools,radios and lights with some of them being 7 years old and some of them brand new top end models. Also my battery packs are 3.0 ad 4.0 ranging in age from 2010-2015 and as far as I know I don't have a single incompatable tool or battery..

try putting a 4AH battery on one of your older tools, like a grinder or recip etc. Mike (my oztooltalk partner) was so fed up with it, he just sold half his Makita gear (the incompatible stuff, and his 3ah batteries).

Makita haven't advertised it much in Aus, but looks like their warranty here is 3/2 on tools/batts. Annoying we didn't get the same 3/3 warranty like the US.

try putting a 4AH battery on one of your older tools, like a grinder or recip etc. Mike (my oztooltalk partner) was so fed up with it, he just sold half his Makita gear (the incompatible stuff, and his 3ah batteries).

Makita haven't advertised it much in Aus, but looks like their warranty here is 3/2 on tools/batts. Annoying we didn't get the same 3/3 warranty like the US.

I recently experienced this problem. A friend of mine asked for a loan of a battery one day said he had a 18v lithium makita grinder. I gave him my 5ah battery and he said it wasn't fitting. Thought he was doing something wrong till I seen it for myself

I do have a super old recip that I will try to put a 4ah on today. Truth be told I don't ever use it because it sucks so much so I wouldnt have known about the issue.. I have a radio that is at least 6 or 7 years old that takes 4ah. I will check my grinder too but ever since I got a few of the BL models the old one just sits in my garage unused..

I have 10 3ah (8 in use and two brand new still in the pack) and 5 4ah that are in use, mixed with the 3ah. So chances are more likely I'm grabbing a 3ah and maybe I have just always gotten lucky..

There is a way the tool (maybe the pack) can be modified to work with all batteries but they are probably doing it so that the older tools without star protection won't over discharge and kill the new batteries.. Modify at your own risk I guess..

• Like 1

NER hit the issue right in the nose its fact that Makita didn't have good overload over discharge on their tools before the star protected tools and batteries came out. They want to keep people from frying their batteries and claiming them on warranty. Makita kinda got away easy with the battery issues they had.

this battle could go on for years but its all preference. I personally like my Milwaukee stuff. my boss has the dewalt drill. the only thing I can say is that they are each good at their own thing. so depending on what you want to use it for. if its just screws than either is great, the Milwaukee is heavier I find but I think its better quality.

I would love to have dewalts framing nailer because it is a beast, but I have Milwaukee stuff already and I wish milwaukee would come out with something just as good

Well, since this is the hand tool forum, though it kills me to admit this, Team Yellow has better hand tools (outside of Milwaukee's excellent locking pliers). Power tools, I far prefer Milwaukee, but I'll never make either brand break a sweat with my uses.

• 1 year later...

I'm loving the Hitachi tools I have.. I've gone with their '18v Premium Brushless'. They are not that common in the US, but great tools. 
I believe you need to decide whether in fact you need the drill with the most torque or not.. I opted for Hitachi's second torquiest drill, feels super good in the hand, great chucks too.  Really hoping their acquisition of Metabo doesn't lead to an upset in their tool ranges though.

Milwaukee stomps Dewalt.  Working in the tool department I see first hand the number of returns and condition of them when returned.  Dewalt is no longer making a quality, heavy duty power tool.  Milwaukee does.  Not to mention a far better warranty with 5 years on the tools which doent cost you a dime to have fixed.  Dewalt makes you pay for shipping and are extremelt stingy on what is covered for warranty repairs.