Burned up Meter Scokets

Justin Hernandez

This year had to have been a new recorded for burned up meter cans. It seemed like every other day I would have a call for no power and it would end up being something burned up in the meter can. This call had partial power, only one leg had power, the cause was the meter sockets burned up also the aluminum wire from FPL had melted. This house had no ground rods or proper bonding the down pipe was rotted out as well. The underground wire is what we call direct burial so the wire is put into the ground with no pipe. That is why my down pipe is not connected to another pipe as you see in the picture. So everything had to be upgraded to pass inspection and ground rods and all bonding had to be done

• Like 2

All of the burnt cans...were smart meters involved?

I know were you're getting at here and yes they were, but most of the meter cans were way past there service life. The meters still worked but many had burnt sockets and melted wire. I made another post here called "Smoke Show" look it up and look at the pictures. I do believe that the fire was caused by the smart meters in that case. 

EMT clips on pvc huh?

You may wanna fix that. Aside from looking like crap, it doesn't provide adequate movement for expansion and contraction. Also, the single hole clips are not rated for Pvc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I guess every electrician here is a hack because that's how its done here. PVC clamps are not used because they are not durable and break as they age from the sun and the weight of the pipe and wire. You could have just stated you're opinion instead of being an ass. At least I win an award from you for doing the most crappy work in the history of man kind. Have a nice day :)

I know were you're getting at here and yes they were, but most of the meter cans were way past there service life. The meters still worked but many had burnt sockets and melted wire. I made another post here called "Smoke Show" look it up and look at the pictures. I do believe that the fire was caused by the smart meters in that case. 

I wasn't getting at anything, just curious. No soapbox stands for me...

I guess every electrician here is a hack because that's how its done here. PVC clamps are not used because they are not durable and break as they age from the sun and the weight of the pipe and wire. You could have just stated you're opinion instead of being an ass. At least I win an award from you for doing the most crappy work in the history of man kind. Have a nice day :)

Yes, it is hack.

You have to deform the clip to make it fit. Doesn't that make you raise an eyebrow? EMT clips are not rated for PVC, that's using product incorrectly, which is a violation.

How heavy is your pvc that 2 hole clips are just breaking off?

If you are concerned about weight, the pipe should rest on the screw, harder to pull out or off. The deformed clip actually holds less weight and covers less of the pipe which is contradictory to your defense.

How secure do you think this is?

6ab71b8f37f7ae913ce9eba25b02ecb9.jpg

Yes, it is hack.

You have to deform the clip to make it fit. Doesn't that make you raise an eyebrow? EMT clips are not rated for PVC, that's using product incorrectly, which is a violation.

How heavy is your pvc that 2 hole clips are just breaking off?

If you are concerned about weight, the pipe should rest on the screw, harder to pull out or off. The deformed clip actually holds less weight and covers less of the pipe which is contradictory to your defense.

How secure do you think this is?

6ab71b8f37f7ae913ce9eba25b02ecb9.jpg

This will be my last reply to you. One small tap with linesman pliers while the clamp is on the pvc and its on there I don't sit there and deform it. Yes my eyebrow is raised at why you continue to criticize someone's work when all you had to do is ask why I use emt clamps. But now you take it further by zooming in on a picture, Why?? That's what works here and there is no violation here. All work has been inspected and approved I would show you the permits but I'm not going to put the homeowners info on here. If you look on the picture you will see that the meter is brand new all zeros on the screen I would not have gotten a new meter installed and power re-energize if my work didn't pass inspection or if there was a violation. These pvc clamps you claim I need to use are useless I have come behind homeowners and handy man electrical work who used pvc clamps and I have to re-strap the pvc from broken clamps. I only use pvc pipe for underground, ground wire and for the service feeders everything else I use emt. Guess what I also use emt clamps on seal tight conduit and like I said everyone else does that here as well. If I went around to job sites and told the electricians that there work looks like crap and its a violation because they used emt clamps on pvc I wouldn't be here anymore. Its insulting to say the lease  

I wasn't getting at anything, just curious. No soapbox stands for me...

Haha, I just kinda assumed that you were against smart meters and how they burn down peoples homes. I get asked a lot if the smart meters are to blame for the damages that is why I responded the way I did. I didn't mean anything by it, I'm sorry if I came off as a dick.

This will be my last reply to you. One small tap with linesman pliers while the clamp is on the pvc and its on there I don't sit there and deform it. Yes my eyebrow is raised at why you continue to criticize someone's work when all you had to do is ask why I use emt clamps. But now you take it further by zooming in on a picture, Why?? That's what works here and there is no violation here. All work has been inspected and approved I would show you the permits but I'm not going to put the homeowners info on here. If you look on the picture you will see that the meter is brand new all zeros on the screen I would not have gotten a new meter installed and power re-energize if my work didn't pass inspection or if there was a violation. These pvc clamps you claim I need to use are useless I have come behind homeowners and handy man electrical work who used pvc clamps and I have to re-strap the pvc from broken clamps. I only use pvc pipe for underground, ground wire and for the service feeders everything else I use emt. Guess what I also use emt clamps on seal tight conduit and like I said everyone else does that here as well. If I went around to job sites and told the electricians that there work looks like crap and its a violation because they used emt clamps on pvc I wouldn't be here anymore. Its insulting to say the lease  

I'm not getting in between you two, but I have to say that the way you did it is in violation of the product listings and because of that the NEC. There are many parts of the country where using anything other than a PVC strap on PVC conduit will fail the job. Around here, they're pretty lenient about it, but I wouldn't use EMT straps when it's so easy to just buy rigid straps instead which fit the PVC properly and without deforming and hold much better than flimsy (and deformed) EMT straps. 

Many times PVC straps are installed incorrectly which leads to failure. They're designed to allow the conduit to expand and contract with ambient temperatures and when they're installed too tightly, they bind and snap. They have to be left somewhat loose to function properly.

• Like 1

I'm not getting in between you two, but I have to say that the way you did it is in violation of the product listings and because of that the NEC. There are many parts of the country where using anything other than a PVC strap on PVC conduit will fail the job. Around here, they're pretty lenient about it, but I wouldn't use EMT straps when it's so easy to just buy rigid straps instead which fit the PVC properly and without deforming and hold much better than flimsy (and deformed) EMT straps. 

Many times PVC straps are installed incorrectly which leads to failure. They're designed to allow the conduit to expand and contract with ambient temperatures and when they're installed too tightly, they bind and snap. They have to be left somewhat loose to function properly.

I understand that an emt strap is not UL listed for PVC pipe, the way he went about calling my work crap is not right. I came to this forum to have a good time and get to know everyone on here not to argue with anyone. Its silly to be arguing over a stupid strap we are all grow man. I see some things on here that I don't agree with but I don't go around saying someones hard work looks like crap. The fact of the matter is I was taught to use emt straps and every electrician in my area does the same. I have been doing this for a long time and not one inspector has ever said anything and every job I do has to get inspected. Here's a video showing you can use a metal strap on pvc pipe which you guys claim cannot be done. I know I didn't use that same clamp but its very similar to an emt strap.

• Like 1

Hey Justin. WE have been following the thread. I don't know the first thing about electrical work and can't comment on anything other than they way I've wired my shop and various other home projects but truthfully, I have no background in the trade and have to remain silent however as a site moderator I can assure you that when people blast others the moderators keep a wary eye out. Honestly when I say my prayers, I include a "Thank you God for not letting my house burn down" shout out!

Guys, everyone does things differently. Some are pros. Some are not. I am not a pro. At least in the trades. Petros, kudos to you for your tact and explanation of the codes in your areas that are required and it was a great explanation. I personally appreciate it. Justin, thank you for sharing your work. It's really cool seeing what our members do both professionally and at home. One of the greatest things about our forum is the background of our members. I have learned a lot form you guys and gals and am thankful for the time I've been able to be a member and a moderator.

Keep up the good work and remember that our members come from a variety of backgrounds. If there is a problem or a concern in your expert opinion let it be known. Just remember to let it be known...Respectfully. Our members come from a great variety of backgrounds and here is where we can share our equal love for what we do. And the awesome tools that help us in these achievements. Sans spouses.

God bless and thanks for the posts Justin. Keep them coming dude!

Chris.

• Like 4

I understand that an emt strap is not UL listed for PVC pipe, the way he went about calling my work crap is not right. I came to this forum to have a good time and get to know everyone on here not to argue with anyone. Its silly to be arguing over a stupid strap we are all grow man. I see some things on here that I don't agree with but I don't go around saying someones hard work looks like crap. The fact of the matter is I was taught to use emt straps and every electrician in my area does the same. I have been doing this for a long time and not one inspector has ever said anything and every job I do has to get inspected. Here's a video showing you can use a metal strap on pvc pipe which you guys claim cannot be done. I know I didn't use that same clamp but its very similar to an emt strap.

Firstly, I said that the emt clips looked like crap (they were clearly deformed), which I stand by. I didn't say one word about your installation or imply anything about you personally.

I am an electrician, I care very much about workmanship and safety.

I get annoyed when I see poor workmanship or incorrect use of product etc. I get that you may have been taught that, but it is incorrect.

Secondly, no one claimed you cannot use metal clips. No one.

It was stated that EMT clips were not listed for use with pvc. There are proper metal pvc clips/straps available. While they may seem similar to you, they are quite different. They won't damage the pipe, they provide proper support and allow for linear expansion.

You wouldn't use copper pipe as a raceway even though it is similar to emt.

I am sorry that you are offended by my comment and I assure you my intention was only to point out the violation. Tact isn't my strongest trait.