Concrete anchors or PA bolts?

optimistspencer

I am building a new workbench that is bolted into the garage wall, and I also want to bolt it to the concrete floor. I've never done this before, so I was hoping you guys could steer me in the right direction- should I be using a powder actuated nailgun or should I use concrete floor anchors?

Sent from my One M8 using Tapatalk

Although redheads are great, and the go to when mounting big stuff, maybe overkill for a workbench. One alternative are tapcon concrete screws. They are rated and approved by most city/state authorities and very easy to install. They come in a variety of shank sizes and head types. Sold right next to redheads and approved for cracked concrete.

If you are setting lumber directly onto the concert floor you should use pressure treated where contact is made. Tapcons are recommended for this type of application.

I used tapcons to secure a large steel manhole type cover over the tornado pit @ discovery science center. Lots of kids beating the hell out of the thing and it's standing strong.

They come in the standard blue coated and stainless variety. Another benefit to tapcon vs redheads- no bolts or threads sticking up above the floor. Don't know if that matters to you.

How secure do you need the bench?

http://www.tapcon.com/products

I want the bench to be strong enough in the framing that I can beat the hell out of the surface- it'll be both a metalworking and woodworking bench and the goal is to have pretty much no vibrations when I'm hammering shit on an anvil or whatever else. I've used tapcons before, so Ill probably use those. Definitely not as fun as a semi auto PA gun tho XD

Sent from my One M8 using Tapatalk