If you were an inspector

Justin Hernandez

If you were an electrical inspector would you have consider this riser/mast unsafe?? I disagreed with him saying its safe and wasn't necessary for the homeowner to spend money changing it out. But he told me if you want to pass inspection it has to be fixed. I've seen way worse out there, stuff just hanging off of buildings and is still in operation. This one didn't look that bad until I took it out and looked at the whole pipe it was a little worse than I thought. The old and new pipe is 2 inch Rigid conduit which weighs about 35 pounds. All this happened because of some tree branches pushing up against the overhead wire this happens all the time. Mother nature is quite powerful bending these pipes. Its a good idea to make sure your lines are clear from trees if not hire someone to cut them, do not do it yourself you could be killed. The power company is not responsible for tree cutting and is not responsible for the electrical repairs which cost a ton of money. What do you guys think?? Do you think the repairs were necessary what would you say if you were an inspector?? I think It didn't need to be done

The slightest kink in rigid compromises the integrity. There are no supports or bracing on that mast, it may have held for awhile but is likely to fail. I would have changed it out, no questions asked.

As a rule, if it doesn't seem right, it most likely isn't.

Your customer should be grateful you made their service safe again! And it looks 100% better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If a two-inch rigid gets bent, it's either been whacked really hard or it's rusted and beginning to lose it's integrity. I'd say the inspector was right to request it get replaced. I don't know what your permit was for and how this mast was tied in to that, so I can't comment on that aspect.

It wasn't rusted, on the other end the trees are pulling on the wire which bent the rigid overtime. The permit was for electrical for a bedroom, smoke detectors and GFCI's. There was a gfi by the service so he looked up and said, "Nope that's not safe". So I had to get another permit for the service when he failed me. 

The slightest kink in rigid compromises the integrity. There are no supports or bracing on that mast, it may have held for awhile but is likely to fail. I would have changed it out, no questions asked.

As a rule, if it doesn't seem right, it most likely isn't.

Your customer should be grateful you made their service safe again! And it looks 100% better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Honestly this inspector is an ass and everyone complains about him. I've done several inspections before with a bent mast and the inspector says I can't force you to change it. The customer hates me, there like I can't believe you made me spend all that money changing that out it was fine until you showed up. They act like I bent the pipe, they ran to the inspection office as soon as I told them the news they were yelling at everyone..lol

It wasn't rusted, on the other end the trees are pulling on the wire which bent the rigid overtime. The permit was for electrical for a bedroom, smoke detectors and GFCI's. There was a gfi by the service so he looked up and said, "Nope that's not safe". So I had to get another permit for the service when he failed me. 

I don't think I've ever worked in a jurisdiction where an inspector could get away with not passing my work because something totally unrelated was bad. I would definitely follow up with his boss on that because (as you mention above) this could put your business in jeopardy by straining your relationships with customers, it could give your customers a valid reason to not pay you (your work didn't pass inspection) and your customers will likely bad mouth you to others.

I agree with the inspector that it was unsafe, but do not see what that had to do with the work you were doing. Should have approved you on your permit works merit and reported an unsafe condition (unrelated) to the home owners and had them fix it as a separate issue.

Like atlas mentioned it should have been flagged as a repair that was needed, but shouldn't have had anything to do with the work you were doing. The biggest problem is with the bent the wire insulation can rub easier and potentially cause a short.

Yea guys it sucks but I'm use to it, basically if its the first time your calling inspection on that property you are guaranteed to fail. I use to warn people about certain things that I see and tell them that the inspector might say something about that. But after spending hours talking to customers and explaining how things work I just don't say anything anymore. I just tell them my work is done what day do you want the inspection I hope we pass. I fail all the time and its never my fault let me just name a few of the hundreds of failed inspections. Electrical inspector says let me see your building permit oh you don't have one goodbye. Do you have any plans nope goodbye. That swimming pool light can't be a 120volts in needs to be 12volts, but all I did was a service repair, Hey I'm just doing my job. You don't have smoke detectors in the bedrooms or hallways, but I'm just doing a kitchen remodel. The best ones are when they see an illegally built addition and they make the owners knock half the house down one example was a house which was a 5 bedroom 2 and a half baths. When they got done it was only a 2 bedroom 1 bath, I felt bad for that person they just bought the house as is and couldn't sell it to get out of it. The city opened a code enforcement case and started fining them already. And to think some states don't even require permits, I find that crazy. 

Like atlas mentioned it should have been flagged as a repair that was needed, but shouldn't have had anything to do with the work you were doing. The biggest problem is with the bent the wire insulation can rub easier and potentially cause a short.

You would think it would short out but it never will I have seen some crazy stuff over the years. I have seen smoke coming from wire nuts and when you tell the restaurant owner they say its fine don't worry about it.