Some People Just shouldn't Own Tools......

comp56

ok if you didn't catch with some of my older posts half of my shop is woodworking and the other half is a computer building and repair shop, I build high end gaming systems and also everyday computing systems. well I had a client bring me a laptop this afternoon complaining of a power issue......the guy says I opened the back to look at it and could see anything that looked out of place.....I said I will take a look....this is how he brought it to me.....OMG some people shouldn't own tools......all I said was you should have asked for a set of screw drivers instead of a dremel......

20160122_224705.jpg

• Like 1

Was it over heating? Lol wow comp. talk about hack.

John, Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

turns out the power port was broke off .......laptop is junk not worth fixing being 2 years old needs motherboard 5 years ago I would have put a new motherboard in well aside from his hack.....but now they are not worth nothing after that age especially needing motherboard and labor cost more than a new one but when they were $1500 for a cheap one it was worth putting a few hundred to fix it....

Over the last year or two I've changed my main region for work from nearer to Philly to here in Lancaster and the sad thing is that I see a lot of work done by guys calling themselves electricians who do hack work worthy of your customer there with his dremel. It's one thing to see Joe Schmoe eff something up like that but totally something else when guys are charging customers to eff stuff up.

• Like 1

ya isn't that the truth, some people should be ashamed of their work......I on the other hand have been anal about anything I do,whether it's for myself or for someone else. If I build something or do something that someone is paying for it will be perfect. that might explain why there is a 2 year waiting list for one of my custom built poker tables.......people will just wait because of my reputation of being a fuzzy fart....

• Like 1

Or when you think they waiting, they are actually adoring your adorable dog. I just work on computer's occasionally, but your bigger time, so I assume you have business cards specifically for your computer business. Why don't you put your dogs face on the business card. You might get some call backs when they realize your a dog owner of adorable dogs. lol

ya no on the dog pic...lol I'm not big time at all, my entire work load is based on reputation and a client base. I turn people away just because I deal with strictly hardware when it comes to computers, there isn't enough money in it for me to teach them how to safely surf the net. I don't want to sell a computer and have to be tech support because they don't know what a cookie is. If I sense they will call me and expect me to be on call 24 hours a day for software related issues I will tell them I'm to busy or to take it somewhere else......biggest thing for me is I don't have to do this I enjoy doing it so I don't care if they do go somewhere else.....I don't mean I'm a prick but let's face it if they are bringing me their computer I already know I know more than they do.......I can usually tell within 3 minutes of hearing what they say might be wrong with their computer to know....I've learnt long ago the more I went out of my way with helping someone they more of a pain in the arse they were...

one thing I totally refuse to do is over the phone tech support.....because 3 hours over the phone is usually 8 minutes if I was there in person.....rant over...lol

• Like 3

ya well 7/8 of the planet are walking around with computers in their hand now with all the smart phones, people are doing almost everything on them. sure there are still home computers and such but unless your a gamer or video editor all you really need is a smart phone for the most part. yes there are different levels of computers for different level of gamer's as well. depends on what your needs are and depends on what kind of games you are playing. my son is a pro level gamer for example his 2 video cards cost just over $3000 alone. I think I have posted a shot of his set up. however he gets paid by game developers for alpha testing. Alpha testing is testing before beta testing if anyone doesn't know what that is. He has worked on a few very well known mega games and has been on coding teams that have tweaked games before releases.

I used to be w big techy when I was in high school and college, but now I don't play many video games or do much with computers. However I still know my way around a computer (PC) enough to fix a simple hardware issue if needed. You think common sense would say don't cut the case?

Jimbo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whats your setup Comp?

nothing special at all, I have a living room based pc set up with a duel monitor, one monitor at a small desk 32" while the other set up to my 60" TV hanging on the wall on the other side of the room. I have a keyboard and mouse at desk and also a wireless keyboard HTPC type sitting on coffee table when i'm in front of TV to control the pc from either place. when we renovated the living room it was gutted to the studs so I ran all HDMI wires in the walls with wall plates so where ever I put stuff there are no wires showing or lying on the floor....as for PC specs nothing special there either, don't need it really just a regular tower with a half decent video card for good movie watching.

Hey guys.

I've got a good one for you. For about 10 years I also did PC repair / building / on site tech support, etc.

So, guy comes in one day to the shop. Says PC is 'running slow' and there is some fan noise. OK, we'll get to it later in the day...

I bring it to the bench later and turn it on... And hear more of a quick grinding sound rather than fan bearing failure.

I open it up and was astounded. About 100 cockroaches ran across the bench and all over other customers machines, including a whole bunch that took off into a large fan at the back of the case, exploding on contact.

Absolutely disgusting. I will never forget that one... And the smell. Ugh!

I been using computers since 1983, and been doing it "professionally" since the late 90's. I  have seen it all lol, you wouldn't believe the stories I could tell, but sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words.  For example,the user told us the laptop "fell" off the desk when she tripped over the power cord. 

23932711304_124e74595b_z.jpg

• Like 2

Hahaha. Yeah sure. :P

Had a customer that meant that the 3 months old laptop always had a bad keyboard and semi-broken screen.

It reeked of beer, and half the key's was stuck. The monitor was also drenched in beer, with a layer of beer all over. The angry customer meant her son wasn't old enough to drink, so that couldn't be true.

Worst thing was the customer got it replaced becouse of some kind of other bullshit. Lying son of a b**ch. :-p

• Like 2

Cockroaches Ina computer? Disgusting

Jimbo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They like the warmth and closed off environment. I see it in TVs all the time, it's soo damn gross. We used to do repair work for a rental company, I put of gloves before I ever touched one of those TVs, luckily they sold to some other company that doesn't use us. I'd rather be working on electronics from the Air Force Base, hospitals, Hard Rock hotel(even though those have a ton of dust and smoke buildup). Roaches are just soo damn nasty, they crap all over the electronics and it can cause issues beyond making me nearly throw up.

ya no on the dog pic...lol I'm not big time at all, my entire work load is based on reputation and a client base. I turn people away just because I deal with strictly hardware when it comes to computers, there isn't enough money in it for me to teach them how to safely surf the net. I don't want to sell a computer and have to be tech support because they don't know what a cookie is. If I sense they will call me and expect me to be on call 24 hours a day for software related issues I will tell them I'm to busy or to take it somewhere else......biggest thing for me is I don't have to do this I enjoy doing it so I don't care if they do go somewhere else.....I don't mean I'm a prick but let's face it if they are bringing me their computer I already know I know more than they do.......I can usually tell within 3 minutes of hearing what they say might be wrong with their computer to know....I've learnt long ago the more I went out of my way with helping someone they more of a pain in the arse they were...

one thing I totally refuse to do is over the phone tech support.....because 3 hours over the phone is usually 8 minutes if I was there in person.....rant over...lol

It's 99% easier to tell some one to back up their pc and reinstall windows than trying to fix the problem most of the time. Phone support is the worst and its made worse by all the UI changes MS made over the years Windows xp was the standard for so long visa and win 7 didn't change things too crazy. Then you had windows 8 which was basically throwing out the book on how to use windows. I'm pretty happy with Windows10 so far.

I been using computers since 1983, and been doing it "professionally" since the late 90's. I  have seen it all lol, you wouldn't believe the stories I could tell, but sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words.  For example,the user told us the laptop "fell" off the desk when she tripped over the power cord. 

23932711304_124e74595b_z.jpg

where was the desk on the edge of a 600 foot cliff?