Who makes the best work boots with steel toe protection,and under foot protection?

wayneburgess

O.K all you hard working get stuck in and dirty types, who really makes the best working boots?

Which company keeps your feet happy and safe on the job site?

Redwings are my current footware. I have a few pairs for different uses. For an 8" boot good for getting down and dirty I use their 2218s I usually get three years out of them, vs the six to nine months lesser boots like Timberlands last. I'm also a big fan of their 406s for a light boot, almost like wearing high top sneakers. Before I moved to Florida I liked Whites insulated hunters they were the longest lasting boots I ever owned and among the most comfortable as well

I used to wear Redwing ONLY! But over the last couple years the styles available through my company's boot voucher program were awful. Apparently there are two tiers of Redwings now, a quality American made $200+ tier, and a budget tier made in God only knows what country. Of course the only ones our voucher worked for was the crappy models. I migrated to Timberland Pro and I've been really satisfied with them, the 6" Pit Boss is my preference with the 6" Titan a close 2nd. Coal Miners are harder on boots as anyone and most of them wear Matadors. They're tough as iron but they take 6 months to break in. Same goes for Iron Age. Good boots, tough to break in.

• Like 1

Redwing average £250 a pair over here and not allowed on our building sites. :(

Why aren't they allowed ??? Over here they are ASTM 2413-05 compliant, so they keep our bureaucrats happy, Are you guys forced to use ISO 20345: 2004?

I migrated to Timberland Pro and I've been really satisfied with them, the 6" Pit Boss is my preference with the 6" Titan a close 2nd. Coal Miners are harder on boots as anyone and most of them wear Matadors. They're tough as iron but they take 6 months to break in. Same goes for Iron Age. Good boots, tough to break in.

Three of the four Timberlands that I've had have failed in pretty short order, two had thread failures and came apart at the stitches, on the third the padded collar disintegrated. I do have one pair left, the Iditarods that I only wear in the snow.

I have never heard of Matador boots, got a link?

Not Matador, those are the cowboy boots my wife bought. Matterhorn is what I meant. Google them. They are as tough as the come. As far as Timberland durability, I get a new pair every year and I usually try and stretch them out to 2. I've never had a pair just up and fail on me though.

Yes we have to have steel in the under sole to prevent injury from sharp items through the sole of the boot.

My job involves climbing kneeling up down all day and I have never found a boot that is comfortable and lasts but also meets the regulations. :(

the 3226 would meet most of those requirements, Made in China :( probably not one of their better boots, so lasting and comfortable they may not be....

Not Matador, those are the cowboy boots my wife bought. Matterhorn is what I meant. Google them. They are as tough as the come.

Wow, I bet those MT801s would rock for concrete work.

As far as Timberland durability, I get a new pair every year and I usually try and stretch them out to 2. I've never had a pair just up and fail on me though.

I'm tough on my footwear, If I'm not out in the woods mucking about, I'm all over everything on the jobsite, and the constant flexing just tears them up. I consider myself lucky if a pair of normal boots lasts six months. So I either buy one $250 pair of boots or 3 $100 pair of boots every 2 or so years.

I'd say probably 8 out of 10 coal miners wear Matterhorns. Some of the guys that spend most of their time inside (loadouts, etc.) wear lighter stuff, but most all the guys that are out in the real mining area wear em.

That's good to know about the work boots. Always looking for something. My feet are so messed up. Currently I have the China RedWing boots. I have to say they are great. I didn't know Redwings had two different types of boots, the U.S. and the China brand. I was still assuming they were all made in the US. They are very comfortable, but I am pissed finding out they were China made. If I knew, I would have bought the US version. I bought them a couple months ago and found out a couple weeks ago, they were China.

We had 2 styles of Redwings available through our program. Some of the guys that got the other model seemed to like them, but the ones I got might as well been made of concrete. I have a 10" pair or Insulated Redwings I only wear when it gets cold and nasty. They're great boots, but I gave like $250 for them several years ago.

We had 2 styles of Redwings available through our program. Some of the guys that got the other model seemed to like them, but the ones I got might as well been made of concrete. I have a 10" pair or Insulated Redwings I only wear when it gets cold and nasty. They're great boots, but I gave like $250 for them several years ago.

If you have to stand around in the snow all day, nothing beats a pair of Sorels

Getting hold of some of the cool stuff you guys have is very very hard because either they don't sell them at all over here, or they cost twice as much by the time they are posted.

Be cheaper for me to hire a container and do a 3 year U.S shopping spree and then have that shipped.LOL :)

Getting hold of some of the cool stuff you guys have is very very hard because either they don't sell them at all over here, or they cost twice as much by the time they are posted.

Be cheaper for me to hire a container and do a 3 year U.S shopping spree and then have that shipped.LOL :)

When I was in the motorcycle biz, that was often a viable option, if you could deal with 12 week plus shipping time and all the customs/paperwork hassles.

Hands down Wolverine. I guess it would depend on exactly what you are looking for though. I for one can not wear any other boot, or shoe without nearly instant back aches and knee aches. As soon as I put my Wolverine durashocks on the pain goes away. I am on my fourth pair spaning ten years...

Just this newbies opinion...........

We can get the Dewalt boots.Dickies Boots are tough but like lead on your feet.

I was wondering what else was out there, and trying to find something out there that was tough,light, water proof, and stands up well when kneeling as well as up and down ladders,steps and stairs with comfort.Tall order I know but my job is very demanding on foot wear as well as on me LOL.

• 1 month later...

Just bought a pair of dewalt slide work boots with steel toecaps breathable design all the bells and whistles and yes you guessed it got home and while opening the box those familiar words are written on the box.Made in China.

Very comfortable boots but I honestly thought they would have been made in the U.S or over here in the U.K did not expect them made in China that's for sure.