Pop.mech. on Ridgid new palm impact

KnarlyCarl

At first glance I'm thinking "eeh, not really seeing the advantage here"

I could just use a right angle drill or impact and have better control with a trigger I'd imagine.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home/tools/how-to/a19168/this-triggerless-palm-driver-is-very-sensitive/

landscape-1454006205-r8224k-b-final-5x7.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I'm sure there is a place for it, like any tool depends on what you are doing I guess.....the fact that it is available is great not sure I would open up  a new platform for it....

This palm impact reminds me, I have the Milwaukee palm nailer, that thing is beast! I suppose little large, but its huge huge huge help in insanely tight crawlspaces where you're kissing dirt and spiderwebs trying to get a hammer to clamp up a water line. Also just plain awesome doing nail clamps anywhere for that matter

The problem with right angle impacts and drills is the lack of leverage. Your hand is much lower from the area you need to apply force. This causes the bits to easily cam out. The solution is two use two hands which makes it very awkward in tight spaces.

The Rigid seems to place your hand directly behind the bit, allowing for easy one handed use and proper application of force.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Never had a problem with that, probably because anytime I needed my right angle, the fastener was just inside a confined space that a had plenty of leverage with as long a tool as the right angle is, i could apply the pressure I needed. Plus with the palm impact, there's many times when the space won't permit your hand in getting in there with the tool anyways

• 4 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Mondo1310 said:

We definitely need more hilti at the TIA compound. I think it can keep up with Metabo quality and power. 

Yea I like the looks of the 12v stuff, don't want to drop over 250 for the kit though but if I ever see a screaming deal like Chris gave out i'd swipe that up.

Once you put a hand behind the tool I don't think this is more compact than the makita impact driver.  I can't find dimensions for the ridgid driver, so this is based on hand, chuck, and bit size and wild guesses.

For me, the width of an impact gets in the way in corners more than the length.  I'd rather see an impact in a drywall driver format more than something like this.

ridgid vs makita.PNG

• Like 1

Yea even the dewalt and milwaukee impact aren't that large either to save space, then look at the new m12 right angle impact and see how much tighter that thing is than the ridgid.  Its definitely cool and pretty innovative just can't see using this thing all day, not sure if i would like the pressure control of it.