Need Some Help With My Workshop

WigWagWorkshop

What a mess of gastite/tracpipe gas lines, thought those were air hoses at first! Shame on whoever put that in there, need some hard pipe to clean that mess up! Well, just in my opinion, at least. 

If the furnace and the water heater are the only thing using gas, what is the other gas lines for? Fireplaces? 

What does that regulator serve? Is it still used?

Where does the gas come in from? Through the back of that block wall that the camera didn't show? Or is one of those tracpipe lines the feed to that junction?

• Like 1

I have never seen anything quite like that before, the best thing would be to do like carl suggested id run it with solid pipe, and T your junctions then valve them, then you have your hose connection if that makes sense. Not quite understood about the flow regulator, usually that is on the outside of the house with the meter.

• Like 1

This type of regulator is usually meant to drop gas pressure from about 2psi to service pressure of 8" WC, if it's natural gas

Now that I look at it closer, it appears that the highest most tracpipe coming in on the top right part of that junction is probably your feed to the regulator, as it looks like 3/4", and then out to the other 5 branches on the left side of the regulator, which all look like 1/2" lines. 

Back to the question at hand, yes it can be moved. That regulator goes with it, too, because everything in the house will need to be supplied as it is now, being fed gas through the regulator, don't leave that important piece out of the equation. 

Now to see if there's enough supply pipe to make it over to the other side of the furnace, and what to do if there's not.

Another question, Steve; can you take a picture of that little plug on the left area of the regulator so I can see what it is?

• Like 2

I take from the picture that the meter is on the outside of the house. If you want to move the whole manifold you will have to contact your gas company to move the service outside to where you want it. Now that cluster fuck you have in the house The utility is responsible up to to the shut off then it is all yours. As far as the pressure you have coming in to the regulator it could range from 2 to 90 psi. I have installed a many of services that had 100 psi coming into the regulator at the meter. It also looks like you has a WH, Frunce, Gas Dryer, Stove and something else on that service   

• Like 2

Thats what I am talking about! The Crew really came through for me! Thanks You for the detailed responses, sounds like I am going to have to reevaluate this whole setup.  Like Regopit states, "What a cluster fuck" lol. The only stuff that uses gas in the house is WH, and furnace, but lines are also run to the kitchen, laundry room, and fireplace.  At some point, I did plan on converting the wood burning fireplace to gas, but no plans for a gas stove or gas dryer. 

• Like 1

I would be more concerned with getting the proper draw for the exhaust pipe from the heater than moving the gas pipe. Where you planning on moving the exit point for it to closer to the new location, or leaving it where it is? When building your new wall, how much leeway do you plan to have in case any item in the new space needs complete replacement, and will the new wall interfere with that possibility? Lastly, if the water heater is the only item still on the gas supply, why not consider an electric replacement and eliminate the exhaust issue?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KnarlyCarl said:

regopit, one thing I have yet to get straight is when the vent on that regulator needs to be piped to outside, if it's inside, as it is here. Can you tell from this pic? That's why i wanted to see what it looked like close up.

Now that you have said something and taking a good look this. It does not look like it is vented to the outside. The vent on a regulator serves two purposes. 1. you need a vent so the diaphragm can move " breathe" inside the body of the regulator. 2. in case the diaphragm cracks or gets a pin hole and starts to leak it will vent the gas. If that would happen here it will vent to the inside the basement. Having a source of ignition so close could be a bad thing. Wig Wag you should have someone look at that to see if the regulator is vented to the outside.

vent_zpsvllybdds.jpg

• Like 2

Where wig wag lives its not economical to run on electricity for heating. It costs me 60 dollars a month on the budget plan to heat my house in the winter on natural gas, and use a gas hot water heater, dryer, and stove. If I used all electric it would be way way more expensive. Natural gas is about the same as electrical in danger anything installed wrong and not maintained can have future problems.

Where wig wag lives its not economical to run on electricity for heating. It costs me 60 dollars a month on the budget plan to heat my house in the winter on natural gas, and use a gas hot water heater, dryer, and stove. If I used all electric it would be way way more expensive. Natural gas is about the same as electrical in danger anything installed wrong and not maintained can have future problems.

This is so true.

Any further progress on this project?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk