Shelves, Totes, Drawers, Peg board or Tool Boxes???

Dano123

On 3/8/2016 at 4:45 PM, Dano123 said:

My garage/workshop is a disaster and I need a major organization overhaul. I have a 24' x 36' garage that is so full of tools and stuff that I can barely fit both of our cars in there. I am trying to design a system to store my tools in a way that they are not buried, but the ones I don't use on a regular basis are out of the way. I have partial systems in place now where I have a rolling cart for my automotive tools, a work bench for my power tools, shelves for misc tools and "stuff", a set of drawers that is so buried I really don't know whats in them and totes for painting, plumbing, auto electric, home electric, vac hoses, etc. I also have 3 electric tool boxes, 2 plumbing tool boxes, a Kreg Jig tool box, a Trim router and bit tool box and my wall/portable cordless tool box I made. Along with tools and socket sets in their own cases, 2 tables saws, a miter saw stand, a band saw, a drill press, 6" jointer, a shop press, multiple floor jacks, lumber, folding tables and the kitchen sink! Actually I have 2 of them in there right now... 

I want to get a system and do a spring clean up and start fresh. I am trying to decide on more shelves, totes, drawers, peg board or french cleat or tool boxes. I have limited wall space so the french cleat and peg board will be tricky, totes and drawers seem to hide things away and I can never find what I need, tool boxes for hand tools are a pain to dig through and shelves seem to get cluttered and end up with wasted space. What are you guys using that works? 

You really just need to go through your garage and get rid of some crap. I had to do the same to get my workshop to fin in my garage.

I have found the best thing for organizing my shop is shelving (I got shallow ones from Ikea for all my drills and small stuff and deep ones, from Bunnings (Home Depot also have them), for all my big tools. I use a mobile trolley/cart thing like mechanics use for all my hand tools. But I have found that if I am going to a job, customized storage (like Festool Systaniers or Bosch L-Boxxes)  for all my power tools and tool bags for all my hand tools are better if you are transporting tools everywhere. But if you keep them in the shop having that at your quick disposal is a hell of a lot easier than having to open a box just to get a drill that you will use for five seconds.    

• Like 1

It is coming along. I ended up doing a mix of french cleat strips and shelves. I have my mechanic tools on a rolling cart I made, my cordless tools in my portable/wall mount holder that I can close and take with me for a project and the rest of my tools on shelves or my bench.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

15 hours ago, Dano123 said:

Thanks buddy!  I figure this thread will hopefully inspire someone else to tackle their own garage clean up project.  Mine had to be a great example of how bad one could get.  The goal now is to have the double bay clear by the weekend and the single side done by Sunday night.  I have plans tomorrow night so Friday night after my auction I need to get hustling!

Dude Dano u did just that bro I've been throwing crap out and donating like crazy man its amazing how much crap can pile up when u just let it, im taking pics as I go but just haven't had the chance to post with my son starting TBall and dang jobs ive been crazy busy... by the way the garage is looking good bro!

• Like 1

It is a good feeling, but it is not done yet. Most of the boxes and totes on my shelves are empty because I can't decide what I want to put in them. It is overwhelming having so much shelf space and so many empty containers now that I don't know how best to organize my remaining junk. I have multiple bins of misc hardware but I don't feel like sorting it. I also have misc tools that I don't know what to do with. My brother is taking some misc hand tools that I don't want so that will help. I still need to find a way to store my folding tables too. I am planning to build a hanging shelf in the back for sheet scraps but I may try to build it so I can throw my tables up there too. They are a pain to store, but we use them at parties in the summer and to sort auction stuff on Friday's so I need them accessible.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I have been fighting a battle for four years. The ideal situation for me, seems to be a combination of things. I am currently working on a wall rack for my Tough Boxes. I also have these. 3907baa13351341e33dc88f138ab99f9.jpg75a28e0828321732c2f0d212fa0eae5b.jpg17a8fa44d600a525a72b539af8411da0.jpg

And three gladiator rolling cabinets.

Shelves were HORRIBLE for me. My father in law built the same ones Dan has in his Garage for me and I have been slowly taking them out section by section.

• Like 1

I am in the middle of tackling the single bay side of my garage now and It is a mess. I moved the shelves and ran into all kinds of problems from having to tear apart the wiring I rigged up 10 years ago to now the middle legs are on a high spot in the concrete and I need to trim them or tear it apart and start over (which I am leaning towards).  This should be interesting...

Well my organization phase is almost complete. Now I am painting the ceiling and trying to decide what to do with my shop lights. I currently have two single T12 fixtures, six double T12 fixtures and one double T8 fixture installed plus two double T12 fixtures to add. All 4'.  For having sixteen 40W bulbs running I don't feel like I have very much light. Or at least it is very uneven. I have most of my lights on the main switch except the 2 fixtures over my bench and a second switch operates a fixture in my single bay that you can see in my Shop Walls thread.  I don't really want to buy new fixtures, but my plan is to wire all the front lights on the main switch, all the back lights on the second switch and leave the 2 over my bench on the power strip.  Any suggestions? How do you guys have your lights setup? 

The dust deputy is awesome!  I have emptied 2 full buckets since I got it and my vac is pretty much empty.  Well worth the money. My garage is coming along, I need to finish putting a few things back tonight and then organize all of my screws, nails, bolts, nuts, etc (I have way more than anyone needs...).  I plan to fill the french cleat rows to the right of that window with those gallon jugs for different sized screws, bolts, washers, nuts etc then put all the nails and other rarely used items in the one of the drawers.  I want to paint the ceiling tonight(wed) and tomorrow since it will be in the mid 60's. While I have my lights down to paint I figure now is a good time to rearrange them.  

• Like 1