Shelves, Totes, Drawers, Peg board or Tool Boxes???

Dano123

Geez freshman year I figured out how to install pacman and Tetris on my TI-84. All I gotta say is, Most productive math class ever. I got to like level 14 on Tetris. I don't know how to graph an inverse trig function, but I know an opportunity to clear four lines at once when I see one.

• Like 3

A lot of people hate pegboard, but I've found that it promotes much better organization, and minimizes the brutality of the humid southern summer. I keep the essentials on my pegboard, and everything else in the toolbox.

Ill find a pic of it for you

• Like 2

I have a small section of peg board on the first shelf/bench I made 10 years ago and I works ok. I do like it in my gun room, I have most of my collection on pegs. I really liked Boondock Saints and Tremors...  As for using it for tools I always had just as much luck with a nail or screw as i did a peg.

• Like 2

Geez freshman year I figured out how to install pacman and Tetris on my TI-84. All I gotta say is, Most productive math class ever. I got to like level 14 on Tetris. I don't know how to graph an inverse trig function, but I know an opportunity to clear four lines at once when I see one.

Ha yeah that's hilarious man, I remember those calculators. I had the TI83 plus, and put super Mario on and metal gear solid, and some other sweet games I found online. Then I passed the games on to others to use too. The super Mario was my favorite, it looked and played just like one of those handheld units, can't remember what Nintendo called them, gameboy was it?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

A lot of people hate pegboard, but I've found that it promotes much better organization, and minimizes the brutality of the humid southern summer. I keep the essentials on my pegboard, and everything else in the toolbox.

Ill find a pic of it for you

At work the shop is completely sheated with pegboard up to 8' high (20' or higher steel building) and it holds every tool. I'm surprised at some of the stuff it can hold like 1" drive impact guns.

I think you should build an extension to this shelf first, go as long as you can and use that empty space to the left of the shelf. After that, you should start looking elsewhere.

3b6677c2b7dbffa0543bcbd34aefc899.jpg

I think you should also consider hanging ceiling racks and you can put your lumber there. Use of dead space is the key, right now you have a ton of unused space because most of it is on the ground. You also shouldn't be afraid of getting rid of some stuff that you know you aren't going to use or finding a different place to store it.

Keep in mind, no matter how organized and clean you get it, you're going to fill it back up. It's just how it works when you work on stuff, you always need new tools or materials to get the job done and after the project you have to find a place to store what's left.

• Like 3

I think you should build an extension to this shelf first, go as long as you can and use that empty space to the left of the shelf. After that, you should start looking elsewhere.

3b6677c2b7dbffa0543bcbd34aefc899.jpg

I think you should also consider hanging ceiling racks and you can put your lumber there. Use of dead space is the key, right now you have a ton of unused space because most of it is on the ground. You also shouldn't be afraid of getting rid of some stuff that you know you aren't going to use or finding a different place to store it.

Keep in mind, no matter how organized and clean you get it, you're going to fill it back up. It's just how it works when you work on stuff, you always need new tools or materials to get the job done and after the project you have to find a place to store what's left.

Reminds me I bought a new tool box to get organized, ditched the old one, separated the wrenches now I need a box just for knipex.

Jimbo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Yes I have way too much junk in there! The bare space to the left of that shelf is where I park my car. I have a single and a double door. I park on the single side and the wife parks on the double side. That shelf in the pic splits the bays. I am 6'4" and I don't have much head room at the back of the garage so I have always been against hanging stuff from the ceiling. All of those boards are 1x12 pine I bought at an auction, there are more behind the folding tables too. I plan to make more shelves in my shed, basement and in the garage to store this junk. I started cleaning last night after the pics and I am starting to make headway around my work bench area.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Also I replaced the roof on the garage last fall and there were a few leak areas I avoided for a couple months prior to fixing it. As you can see the drywall missing in the pics. Now that I can leave the cars out for a week or 2 I want to pull everything away from the back wall, fix the ceiling and paint it. That is why I am trying to decide what I want to do this time since it will be a fresh start. I am still leaning towards shelves in the back. There is a 3.5"h x 36"d lip in the back of the garage so I can't keep things on casters back there.

4 hours ago, Dano123 said:

Yes I have way too much junk in there! The bare space to the left of that shelf is where I park my car. I have a single and a double door. I park on the single side and the wife parks on the double side. That shelf in the pic splits the bays. I am 6'4" and I don't have much head room at the back of the garage so I have always been against hanging stuff from the ceiling. All of those boards are 1x12 pine I bought at an auction, there are more behind the folding tables too. I plan to make more shelves in my shed, basement and in the garage to store this junk. I started cleaning last night after the pics and I am starting to make headway around my work bench area.

I'm meaning extend that shelf all the way to the wall, will have to move the tools but you'll gain a LOT in storage space. The wasted space isn't where the cars go, it's the reason why we can see the Scarface picture. Ceiling hangers can go along the back wall above the drill press. :)

52 minutes ago, Dano123 said:

0ea89c538bb34e7b74b07758f63d4741.jpg

Doesn't look like much, but that took hours to do so far.

d7967e1108da904c58027dcb425ea330.jpg

It looks like a train wreck at the moment though!

well at least you can see the floor now, good job......

• Like 1

Dano, it's coming along. How do I know? Because getting started is half the battle.

Now u gotta take inventory of all your tools and do a mini review of each and your experience so far! If you could

• Like 4

1 hour ago, KnarlyCarl said:

Dano, it's coming along. How do I know? Because getting started is half the battle.

Now u gotta take inventory of all your tools and do a mini review of each and your experience so far! If you could

Truer words are seldom spoken.

• Like 2

it's always fun to snoop through your own stuff......while your cleaning....coming across stuff you forgot you had.....

You would not believe the stuff I have found so far. Those drawers have been buried for months and even when I could get to them they were a catch all.

• Like 2