Shelves, Totes, Drawers, Peg board or Tool Boxes???

Dano123

My garage/workshop is a disaster and I need a major organization overhaul. I have a 24' x 36' garage that is so full of tools and stuff that I can barely fit both of our cars in there. I am trying to design a system to store my tools in a way that they are not buried, but the ones I don't use on a regular basis are out of the way. I have partial systems in place now where I have a rolling cart for my automotive tools, a work bench for my power tools, shelves for misc tools and "stuff", a set of drawers that is so buried I really don't know whats in them and totes for painting, plumbing, auto electric, home electric, vac hoses, etc. I also have 3 electric tool boxes, 2 plumbing tool boxes, a Kreg Jig tool box, a Trim router and bit tool box and my wall/portable cordless tool box I made. Along with tools and socket sets in their own cases, 2 tables saws, a miter saw stand, a band saw, a drill press, 6" jointer, a shop press, multiple floor jacks, lumber, folding tables and the kitchen sink! Actually I have 2 of them in there right now... 

I want to get a system and do a spring clean up and start fresh. I am trying to decide on more shelves, totes, drawers, peg board or french cleat or tool boxes. I have limited wall space so the french cleat and peg board will be tricky, totes and drawers seem to hide things away and I can never find what I need, tool boxes for hand tools are a pain to dig through and shelves seem to get cluttered and end up with wasted space. What are you guys using that works? 

• Like 4

When short on space,putting things on casters seems like a logical choice.

I use a combination of Toolboxes of various sizes of course,totes That  I store up above in rafters in garage,shelves,and gladiator garage works systems. I have a large tool chest,a Ridgid stack,and a bunch of other small tool boxes. i dont park cars in the garage except to do work on them so things are a lil easier for me.

Some of my stuff can be seen in this thread here: 

• Like 2

I gave up on boxes and totes, I have to see everything I got tried of buying things over and over again. I know boxes and totes take way less space but time for me is as important than space. I may have to look along the wall but I will see what I'm looking for eventually. nothing worse than having something your looking for in a box under 7 other boxes and you give up on the 6th box so you run out and buy what you need then you move 3 things and come across 5 of the things you just wasted time going to buy. My system is not perfect but it seems to be cheaper for me.......I say multiple shelves right to the ceiling and bins or clear boxes with clearly labelled names of items on each. 

• Like 2

My rolling boxes are under the workbench, most of my power tools hang overhead from a shelf or cabinet, and everything else is strategically placed. I don't waste much empty space, almost every nook and cranny is filled with something. Looks slightly different now but not by much

image.jpeg

• Like 5

13 hours ago, Dano123 said:

My garage/workshop is a disaster and I need a major organization overhaul. I have a 24' x 36' garage that is so full of tools and stuff that I can barely fit both of our cars in there. I am trying to design a system to store my tools in a way that they are not buried, but the ones I don't use on a regular basis are out of the way. I have partial systems in place now where I have a rolling cart for my automotive tools, a work bench for my power tools, shelves for misc tools and "stuff", a set of drawers that is so buried I really don't know whats in them and totes for painting, plumbing, auto electric, home electric, vac hoses, etc. I also have 3 electric tool boxes, 2 plumbing tool boxes, a Kreg Jig tool box, a Trim router and bit tool box and my wall/portable cordless tool box I made. Along with tools and socket sets in their own cases, 2 tables saws, a miter saw stand, a band saw, a drill press, 6" jointer, a shop press, multiple floor jacks, lumber, folding tables and the kitchen sink! Actually I have 2 of them in there right now... 

I want to get a system and do a spring clean up and start fresh. I am trying to decide on more shelves, totes, drawers, peg board or french cleat or tool boxes. I have limited wall space so the french cleat and peg board will be tricky, totes and drawers seem to hide things away and I can never find what I need, tool boxes for hand tools are a pain to dig through and shelves seem to get cluttered and end up with wasted space. What are you guys using that works? 

Oh boo hoo. I have sooooo many tools........feel bad for me.......;)

just kidding, how's about incorporating in wall storage between joists and making a false suspended ceiling so you can have overhead storage? Might help out quite a bit!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kato said:

My rolling boxes are under the workbench, most of my power tools hang overhead from a shelf or cabinet, and everything else is strategically placed. I don't waste much empty space, almost every nook and cranny is filled with something. Looks slightly different now but not by much

image.jpeg

Still loving the shop Kato. Really well done set up with limited space

yes awesome shop you could save even more room if you got rid of that monster sized music box and replace it with something a little smaller than an apartment size fridge...lol

Wow Kato's shop looks like a photo from a magazine! My garage has a low drywalled ceiling so I am limited there. I will add pics in a little bit. It looks like a tornado went through it though. I buy and sell things at auctions on the side so there is way more stuff in there right now than needs to be

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I inherited the craftsman table saw, band saw, drill press, jointer and 2 old junk compressors that are beside the bandsaw behind the folding tables and that is when things went down hill for me. It's great having these tools and I can't get rid of them, but they take up way too much room. I use the craftsman table saw weekly and I added wheels to it, but the rest are too buried to use. That shop bin and a few other items are going to an auction soon so that should clear out some floor space for me. I am a bit of a hoarder when it comes to misc hardware, scrap wood and tools. I always think I will need them for something down the road...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

your not alone, I throw something out I'm saving nuts and bolts off of it...lol

wife thinks I'm nuts, I say ya when I need one of these I have to go buy a pack for $9 and only need 1

• Like 1

Who, me? That's just a way to store bigger pieces of wood. Those are 4x6's that I pulled from a couple of large crate beds my wife got from work. I use them for projects to hold stuff off the floor, and I've used them to build stuff. Some of it is to even out where the concrete is for the foundation. There's a step along the wall and if I want to put stuff against the wall it has to be raised up

2 minutes ago, Kato said:

Who, me? That's just a way to store bigger pieces of wood. Those are 4x6's that I pulled from a couple of large crate beds my wife got from work. I use them for projects to hold stuff off the floor, and I've used them to build stuff. Some of it is to even out where the concrete is for the foundation. There's a step along the wall and if I want to put stuff against the wall it has to be raised up

gotcha, ok footings are into floor area.....