New Sharkbites

A new innovation from Sharkbite, PVC fittings (schedule 40 PVC) . If you can't glue PVC pipe together than you shouldn't be doing plumbing work. I don't see a need for this, they make pvc glue that you can use underwater. Why would you need this? Any thoughts on this?? Second picture is a 1 inch PVC to 1 inch copper coupling 

IMAG1066.jpg

IMAG1077.jpg

• Like 2

A new innovation from Sharkbite, PVC fittings (schedule 40 PVC) . If you can't glue PVC pipe together than you shouldn't be doing plumbing work. I don't see a need for this, they make pvc glue that you can use underwater. Why would you need this? Any thoughts on this?? Second picture is a 1 inch PVC to 1 inch copper coupling 

IMAG1066.jpg

IMAG1077.jpg

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, JimboS1ice said:

Is it double post Friday?

Jimbo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haha, it said error or something like that and than bam!! I didn't realize till you said something, You would think being lazy you would also be a penny pincher 

44 minutes ago, comp56 said:

there are a lot of people that shouldn't do any plumbing and they still do.....so if they can sell it by all means.....

As long as it doesn't leak and $h!t goes down hill your good to go right..lol

Huh, well, we use their CTS compatible fittings from time to time, but only joining between dissimilar pipe material, I don't exactly know what to think of them, but they're not the first thing I would reach for. I never used their PVC compatible fittings, don't intend to..... 

I hear they are popular. All the iodine, chlorine, acid, detergent, formaldehyde, and compressed air plumbing I do, I use something that is similar to sharkbites on 3/8 tubing. Never had a premature failure. d0ccb4a85cb19d989065cf7b7aaa87ef.jpg I was super skeptical of the sharkbites when I first saw them and would never install them in my home.

If these fittings were Around when I worked in my old bosses shop there was no way in the world he would have let us use them. We were barley allowed to use speedy flexes, you had to use tubes and bend them by hand. The way he put it was we are Plumbers not Handymen! And we only used  pvc for DWV only when absolutely necessary, no-hub was the preferred choice. And we were one of the only shops in the neighborhood that was still pouring lead/oakum joints. For me it was a great way to learn the hard way rather then an easier way. 

• Like 5

If these fittings were Around when I worked in my old bosses shop there was no way in the world he would have let us use them. We were barley allowed to use speedy flexes, you had to use tubes and bend them by hand. The way he put it was we are Plumbers not Handymen! And we only used  pvc for DWV only when absolutely necessary, no-hub was the preferred choice. And we were one of the only shops in the neighborhood that was still pouring lead/oakum joints. For me it was a great way to learn the hard way rather then an easier way. 

Now we use no hub only when absolutely necessary, and pvc the preferred choice

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

On 3/12/2016 at 10:56 PM, KnarlyCarl said:

Huh, well, we use their CTS compatible fittings from time to time, but only joining between dissimilar pipe material, I don't exactly know what to think of them, but they're not the first thing I would reach for. I never used their PVC compatible fittings, don't intend to..... 

Yup, I'm the same way only use them when the shut off at the street won't hold. I see a few guys use them to transition from copper to cpvc which is done very often here. The Sharkbite is the same price vs a copper female adapter and a stainless cpvc male adapter plus no sweating, dope, Teflon and screwing around..lol But like I said I only use them when the water won't shut off all the way.  

17 hours ago, MikeyB said:

Old school plumbers know what works and what doesn't work, they probably looked at these sharkbites and just shaked there head.  

17 hours ago, KnarlyCarl said:

Now we use no hub only when absolutely necessary, and pvc the preferred choice

Pvc is the way to go 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/22/2016 at 11:51 AM, RickyMcGrath said:

Sharkbite is for a quick TEMPORARY repair as far as I am concerned. THAT'S IT. I would NEVER put them inside a wall. They're sealed by an o-ring. Why would anyone ever put them in as a permanent joint, is beyond me. 

I agree, I do have some out there that have become permanent because they never called back to fix it right. I guess they just don't want to pay any more money. I use them when the shut off at the street leaks by, you tell the owner he needs to have the city come out and change the shut off. But the owner doesn't care. I have some inside slabs and you tell them its just a temp until house gets repiped, but the house never gets repiped and they just cement back over it. I wish some people will just listen 

These things are great for transitioning between material and in homes where you have pipe running tight along basement joists or walls. You can't solder without risk of fire, and if you have water running out of the pipe, these are perfect. Would I build new construction with them? Nope, but I sure would use them for repair in accessible areas where use of a torch is not preferable.

3 hours ago, MikeInCtown said:

These things are great for transitioning between material and in homes where you have pipe running tight along basement joists or walls. You can't solder without risk of fire, and if you have water running out of the pipe, these are perfect. Would I build new construction with them? Nope, but I sure would use them for repair in accessible areas where use of a torch is not preferable.

I usually squeeze a fire blanket or a piece of sheet metal behind any pipe touching wood. then solder my fitting. 

3 hours ago, KnarlyCarl said:

Propress baby!

Sweet!!! And a sharkbite too.lol I've been having problems with those Delta valves, the cartridge goes bad quick. I get lucky some times and just change the seats and springs. I had a call back on one a week after my warranty expired sucks to be them..lol

Yea changing shower valves is the worst, I price them high with no guarantee that tile can be saved. Around here a lot of them are on outside walls where this is only an inch from the durock to the cinder blocks. We have just a 1/2'' furring strip attached directly to the cinder block walls and then the drywall directly on the furring strip. I would rather do a slab leak repair then a shower valve any day 

• Like 2