Water heater art, grade double F!!

Another Monday and another beautiful masterpiece of a Water Heater install. I swear I'm the king when it comes to finding crappy water heater installs, look at this art work. And to think I don't even take pictures of all of them or post everything, I would have a huge scrap book if I did.lol On with the show!!  Of course what water heater install would be complete without having some sharks swimming around in the tank (sharkbite fittings). First cut a huge hole in the wall, don't patch it so the carbon monoxide from the cars in the garage goes it to the house. Not to mention its a fire wall so a fire will find that hole fast. Then find any pvc glue you have in the truck and glue a cpvc male fitting to the pipes. Now go get the sharks out of their sleeping bags feed them some pex and then release them. Don't put a pan under the heater in case the sharks tank decides to break and leak. Now we need to put in a small electric fence to protect the sharks from any unwanted visitors in case they touch it. I can't keep writing like this..lol  So there's no pan, a mess of water pipes, a hole in the wall, romex wire, but the relief line is piped in so I guess its safe. We can't have romex exposed it needs to be inside a greenfield flex, it needs to have a connector on the tank not just shoved it the hole plus it needs to be 10-2 romex not 12-2. The icing on the cake is the guy left his business card on top of the switch, I will be calling him and congratulate him on his masterpiece.    

IMAG1148.jpg

IMAG1149.jpg

• Like 1

There seems to be a big push to use those flex sharkbite lines, we have used them a fair bit, my preference is copper, but my boss has us putting them in more often because of speed.

That water heater is pretty average around here ha, no codes on having wiring in conduit, whatever goes....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KnarlyCarl said:

There seems to be a big push to use those flex sharkbite lines, we have used them a fair bit, my preference is copper, but my boss has us putting them in more often because of speed.

That water heater is pretty average around here ha, no codes on having wiring in conduit, whatever goes....

Interesting, that sounds like a bad idea about the electrical. I know a plumber that charges a ton of money for a water heater install he uses sharbites and just changes over to cpvc. I stick with the same pipe that comes out of the wall, maybe only once or twice I changed from copper to cpvc. On a heater that is copper and only needs two couplings and two adapters I could tear out the old one install the new one and clean up in two hours. That doesn't happen all the time but if I haul ass I could do it in two hours. On cpvc water lines usually only 1.5 hours, how fast does your boss want it done..lol I rip the box open and prep the new one while the old drains, most times it only drains to half and I just manhandle it out of the way. Slide the new in and just let the old drain while connecting everything. The fastest I ever installed a heater was ten minutes, what happen was the old one was stolen and I prepped the new one before I got there. Took it out the box put my adapters on glued a short piece of cpvc then threw it in the truck. There was no water to the property so I didn't have to fill it and the electrician was going to do the whip. It was funny because I just put three elbows, cpvc glue, and ratchet cutters in my pocket than just threw the tall 30 gallon heater on my shoulder and walked in the house. I was done in ten minutes I timed it..lol The homeowner was like, ''hey when did you get here'' I said ten minutes ago. Then he said is the water heater being installed today I said come over here look its done already. He was like damn your fast like flash. I will never be able to do one that fast ever again, kind of sad when you think about it. Hey if I used the sharkbite flex lines I could have done it in like 3 minutes just would have needed an elbow for the relief line.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JimboS1ice said:

When it comes to electrical lines, especially around water heaters, I would want the most protection from bare wires as possible

Its code here, its crazy to think some places allow it in other states. No exposed romex allowed here what so ever anywhere it can be in the attic but thats it. I don't think its strict it makes sense to me.

1 hour ago, DR99 said:

Your the water heater whisper Justin!!

HAha, I tell all the water heaters, its okay one day I will give you a face lift when funds are available.   

On 3/30/2016 at 11:55 PM, DR99 said:

Man electric water heaters are much less of a hassle than gas to install

This is true but they sure can screw up the electrical wiring. I wish I had pictures of this gas tankless that they used dryer duct flex as the flue pipe. I had to rip it all out and put in a stainless steel flue which was expensive. If I remember correctly I charged them $2500 with permit. What happens is any time a new roof is done here the water heater flue pipe has to be upgraded to B-vent on final roof inspection. That particular tankless required stainless 

We ONLY supply Bradford White water heaters for tanks and Rinnai for Tankless. With over 300 years of combined plumbing experience between our techs, they all say Bradford White. Hands down. They'll over bid installs on customer supplied heaters in hopes they don't get the job.

Just can't beat Navien for tankless, we used to use Rinnai, but not since we started using Navien, nothing but for tankless

Bradford white for conventional tank sure, but the new stainless tanks with the lifetime warranty are the answer to the problems even they experience, HTP is the brand. I don't see a real good conventional tank unit anymore, they pile up in our scrap pile real quick, maybe 3 years old, maybe 8 years old. How long of lifespan are you expecting out of a Bradford white anyways? It seems like 8 years is still a real short lifespan. But then again, the water quality around here is absolute crap in places....

This is all too common: install date written shows not even 8 years of age on this

20160404_164221

18 hours ago, KnarlyCarl said:

What do you think of this water heater?

It looks good just need to strap the pex. Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't Wirsbro pex have to have uv protection from light so it would have to be insulated.  We don't use pex here the only place that sells it is HD.

17 hours ago, RickyMcGrath said:

We ONLY supply Bradford White water heaters for tanks and Rinnai for Tankless. With over 300 years of combined plumbing experience between our techs, they all say Bradford White. Hands down. They'll over bid installs on customer supplied heaters in hopes they don't get the job.

I think AO Smith is the best and there is studies about it Bradford White comes in second place. Honestly they are all junk nobody maintains them and the steel tank will leak eventually. Manufacturers just care about one thing nowadays PROFIT, they will cut corners anywhere they can to save money. In most places they will only sell either Bradford or A.O never will you find both being sold in the same area. So if your a plumber and you buy A.O of course you are going to say its the best and that Bradford sucks because you can't buy it and don't install it. I'm just making conversation here :)

17 hours ago, KnarlyCarl said:

Just can't beat Navien for tankless, we used to use Rinnai, but not since we started using Navien, nothing but for tankless

Bradford white for conventional tank sure, but the new stainless tanks with the lifetime warranty are the answer to the problems even they experience, HTP is the brand. I don't see a real good conventional tank unit anymore, they pile up in our scrap pile real quick, maybe 3 years old, maybe 8 years old. How long of lifespan are you expecting out of a Bradford white anyways? It seems like 8 years is still a real short lifespan. But then again, the water quality around here is absolute crap in places....

This is all too common: install date written shows not even 8 years of age on this

They are all junk read my reply to Ricky. How much does a 40 gallon HTP cost, I'm not sure if anyone here even sells stainless tanks.

They are all junk read my reply to Ricky. How much does a 40 gallon HTP cost, I'm not sure if anyone here even sells stainless tanks.

Yeah the pex got clamped up later that day, as well as electrical, which is romex, but that's acceptable here. The braided lines are to meet 18" code and also to stay away from copper, which sulfer from the water will eat it away. This is another reason why we use those braided lines more and more.

HTP 40 gallon is $680 cost I believe. 50 gallon is $720 cost, which is way more common here.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...
I switched from braided lines to corregated stainless last year.  Less issues and better flowcontractorpack-ultra.jpgss-fullportflow.jpg

I like this, I remember seeing copper ones, but they would build up deposits and corrosion on the inside and then if they got bumped or moved around when replacing a water heater, they would break loose and clog up the aerators on the faucets. .. what a pain to clean out

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk