Fuel 6 1/2" Circular Saw

JimboS1ice

i wanted the 7 1/4 but i wanted something a little more portable, so i went with this instead of the larger, now i don't have to get the m12 saw... still might lol. I like the blade left and really its only 3/4". The only nice thing about the 7 1/4" is the better selection of blades.

3 hours ago, Dano123 said:

Great video Jimbo. This is my next M18 tool for sure. How many cuts do you think you would get out of a 5.0 pack? Did you happen to check the battery level after the video?  

It had a full pack when i started and was still full when i was done, but when i went to drill a couple holes for something it dropped 1 bar so really thats pretty efficient for all that cutting.

• Like 1

It had a full pack when i started and was still full when i was done, but when i went to drill a couple holes for something it dropped 1 bar so really thats pretty efficient for all that cutting.

Absolutely! That's great for all of those cuts

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I'm going to have to stop watching these videos. As an employee at a very safety oriented company, your work would be stopped, and you could even be banned from the property if someone saw you make a cut like that on a 4x4.

I do appreciate the visual on how well the saw or maybe the blade itself can perform, but damn, work safer next time.

• Like 1

Um yea I cringed too when I saw jimbo go all the way around that 4X4 like that with blade facing his body. I'm sure he was trying to do cut as fast as possible for video editing and wasn't thinking safety. I'm sure he normally would cut turn cut turn till all the way around. Video for demonstrations only lol not for the proper way to cut lumber. jimbo will make another video to show tips on proper safety lol

Great job Jimbo great video and keep up the good work

From a fan of tools with lots of assistance from Siri #TIACREW

• Like 1

Um yea I cringed too when I saw jimbo go all the way around that 4X4 like that with blade facing his body. I'm sure he was trying to do cut as fast as possible for video editing and wasn't thinking safety. I'm sure he normally would cut turn cut turn till all the way around. Video for demonstrations only lol not for the proper way to cut lumber. jimbo will make another video to show tips on proper safety lol

Great job Jimbo great video and keep up the good work

From a fan of tools with lots of assistance from Siri #TIACREW

You ever watch new Yankee work shop for video demonstrating guards and stuff are removed, proper safety for that you guys would haven't been able to see much, and yes when I actually cut I got a lot slow and use a higher tooth count blade but I was demonstrating the power of the saw.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, JimboS1ice said:

You ever watch new Yankee work shop for video demonstrating guards and stuff are removed, proper safety for that you guys would haven't been able to see much, and yes when I actually cut I got a lot slow and use a higher tooth count blade but I was demonstrating the power of the saw.

Pretty true.  I wouldn't even come close to considering that unsafe.  All the safety features on the saw were still fully functional.  People I work with, myself included, pin the guard back more often than not and I can't remember the last time I used a table saw blade with a blade cover, anti kickback, or even a riving knife.  Grinder guards are where I draw the line though, but mostly because a face full of sparks is annoying.

Nice demo of the fuel saw too, Jimbo.

• Like 1

I don't think the guard had anything to do with what Mike wad talking about. Cutting a 4x4 around leaning over it like that with the blade towards your body is dangerous. However, the blade depth could not possibly have went through that board and he would have had to be extremely unlucky to be injured in that situation. The shoe would have had to slip past the board at the same time he was holding the guard back and the trigger in and hit his body. Extremely unlikely, however possible I guess?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, MikeInCtown said:

I'm going to have to stop watching these videos. As an employee at a very safety oriented company, your work would be stopped, and you could even be banned from the property if someone saw you make a cut like that on a 4x4.

I do appreciate the visual on how well the saw or maybe the blade itself can perform, but damn, work safer next time.

So you work for a safety oriented company that is probably like every other safety oriented company "Safety First " or Safety is our number one priority Till it gets in the way. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, regopit said:

So you work for a safety oriented company that is probably like every other safety oriented company "Safety First " or Safety is our number one priority Till it gets in the way. 

I work in the steel industry. As I explained to someone privately, our company collectively has several dozen deaths per year from accidents, most of which are 100% preventable and completely stupid to be honest. Things like not tying off a harness when working on a 20' scaffold and then falling to your death. That's not to mention the hundreds or thousands of other lost time injuries that happen within my company world wide.. Every single one of these injuries and deaths place a strain on the employees and company in general. From families who lose loved ones to people who cannot walk again or  lose something they have had their entire lives. Each accident costs the company money in the form of lost productivity, insurance, workers comp, medical bills, government fine and penalties and the list goes on. it really does make more financial sense to do things the safest way possible, even when it takes longer. The company empowers all of it's employees to point out unsafe conditions, in some cases to put a stop to work, and even goes so far as to make part of our bonus program based on LTI injury rates.

A friend who I had here at work and who got to retire several years back was in charge of safety for the company. He has had to tell several families in person their husbands or wives had died and investigate these deaths. If you have seen these things happen, you know what I am talking about. So when I said that I liked the video of him showing what the saw can do, I really meant it, but I also especially meant the part about needing to be safer. After all, what kind of person ignores stuff that could cost someone else a trip to the hospital?

So if you think what I wrote was mean, well I am sorry,but it needed to be said. And old guy once pulled me aside and said work smarter, not harder. I try to remind myself of that every day.

• Like 3

Aw crap I can see myself cutting that 4x4 the same way, im no saint when it comes to safety, I know I need to work on it better.

I did however, get used to wearing harnass while roofing, it became our second skin, it was just something that became a norm.

One thing I'm guilty of all the time? Not wearing safety glasses, yep I'm terrible at that. Writing this should help to remind me, I'll wear them tomorrow, I promise.

Jimbo, I've been itching to get the fuel 7-1/4" saw, from your perspective between the fuel and Ridgid, I think it would be a worthwhile investment, thanks for taking the time for the video.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, MikeInCtown said:

I work in the steel industry. As I explained to someone privately, our company collectively has several dozen deaths per year from accidents, most of which are 100% preventable and completely stupid to be honest. Things like not tying off a harness when working on a 20' scaffold and then falling to your death. That's not to mention the hundreds or thousands of other lost time injuries that happen within my company world wide.. Every single one of these injuries and deaths place a strain on the employees and company in general. From families who lose loved ones to people who cannot walk again or  lose something they have had their entire lives. Each accident costs the company money in the form of lost productivity, insurance, workers comp, medical bills, government fine and penalties and the list goes on. it really does make more financial sense to do things the safest way possible, even when it takes longer. The company empowers all of it's employees to point out unsafe conditions, in some cases to put a stop to work, and even goes so far as to make part of our bonus program based on LTI injury rates.

A friend who I had here at work and who got to retire several years back was in charge of safety for the company. He has had to tell several families in person their husbands or wives had died and investigate these deaths. If you have seen these things happen, you know what I am talking about. So when I said that I liked the video of him showing what the saw can do, I really meant it, but I also especially meant the part about needing to be safer. After all, what kind of person ignores stuff that could cost someone else a trip to the hospital?

So if you think what I wrote was mean, well I am sorry,but it needed to be said. And old guy once pulled me aside and said work smarter, not harder. I try to remind myself of that every day.

lets get real here for second, I too worked in the metal industry for over 30 + years, I also know that it is not the metal industry that sets the bar for safety it is the mining industry. Yes I was certified to build anything mine related along with anything to do with paper mills or saw mills. The Company I worked for was global and ISO 9001. 1000's of feet of conveyor systems, J sorters, debarkers, pineapple sets, yankee paper dryers 12 men mining skips you name it. Bottom line is......... safety is money................. I don't care who you work for or how big or small the company. If there is no money in the job then safety is a second priority. Yes safety is confused with common sense many times and it does have a price on human life. There are standards that are in place and most of the time it is followed but there is always a manager watching his bottom line that easily over looks many things as well.

• Like 5

And how long ago did you work in the industry Comp? My company is heavy into mining and in fact just a few years back, half the deaths for the year were in our mining segment.

In any event, corporations have become very focused on safety because just like the minimum wage or environmental concerns, worker safety can either be a PR nightmare (look up Timken steel in Cleveland) or it can lead to awards from your customers, (we have an operation in South America I think that has something like 10 years without a LTI) Social media has changed the world and most companies go much further than what the government mandates because it is cheaper to the bottom line and actually can gain you business. I am sure you will get some dumbass owner or boss of some smaller company who says hey I'm only making $20k on the job and I'm not wasting $10k on safety, Trouble is, he isn't listening to the actuaries, directors, and other investors who have hard evidence showing that $10k safety investment can have a positive return. That boss or owner doesn't realize that companies like mine look at safety numbers when we choose to hire them on for a million dollar project until it is too late.

Earlier a comment was made about how when it costs money it gets ignored. I have a 45 page safety manual that every single contractor who comes on site has to go over and then sign off on before they are allowed to do any work. My freaking landscapers have to sit through the same 45 pages that the electricians do. Heck, my pest control guy who has never set foot on a ladder or touched a a wire or tool has to sign the same paperwork, even though he is on site a half hour per month. So yeah it may get ignored for some, but not for many out there. (feel free to take an emergency management training course at your local college to see just how into safety companies have to be. Active shooter training is just as important as tornado and fire drills these days)

4 minutes ago, MikeInCtown said:

And how long ago did you work in the industry Comp?

that line right there makes me think you don't think I know what I'm talking about.....um well it wasn't back in 1884 when we used to mine gold with mercury?...

dude just do yourself a favor and don't be so critical, just because you just finished reading the latest must work safe pamphlet your boss handed you last shift doesn't make you a safety god......so what if jimbo cut a 4x4 in his video that didn't meet AFFSTSS standards. I'm sure that is not his standard cutting procedure, you could plainly see he was just whipping through all his cuts to show how fast the saw could cut. If he had cut all those cuts to safety standards you would have said it didn't show the speed of the saw and his video was a waste of your time cause you could get that info from manufacture's website. 

Sorry jimbo not going to hijack your thread any more.........

• Like 7