Any hope for a 7 1/4 20V brushless circular saw?

DPSElias

Your talk of upgrading would only reinforce the option of going with the FlexVolt, compare the DCK299D1T1 AT at $379, the DCK299M2 at $379 and the DCK299P2 at $399:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-FLEXVOLT-60-Volt-and-20-Volt-Lithium-Ion-Cordless-Brushless-Combo-Kit-2-Tool-DCK299D1T1/207135430

http://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-20-Volt-MAX-Lithium-Ion-Combo-Kit-2-Tool-DCK299M2/206875834

http://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-20-Volt-MAX-Lithium-Ion-Cordless-Brushless-Combo-Kit-2-Tool-DCK299P2/206936848

It is the same hammerdrill and impact driver with 2 Ah and FlexVolt battery, 2 4 Ah batteries and 2 5 Ah batteries and a hard case. Price wise it is competitive, not obnoxiously high, and that saw is a beast I saw it demoed on 3 sheets of OSB laminated together and it cut faster than I would ever cut with it. The DeWALT representative said it was faster than a corded saw and then said look on YouTube, I guess he wasn't lying:

Thanks for the information but unfortunately I not a huge fan of the Dewalt DCD996 as I like the function selector on my DCD985, if Dewalt would bring that back I'd be happy but I still don't want a special battery for my just my Circular saw, it would inevitably turn into switching to Milwaukee as I've already done so with my 12V. I am heavily invested in Dewalt but I'm not seeing the "flood" of tools from Dewalt and with the 60V line I'm just not sure what's going on.

I'm an avid DIYer and for this reason I don't want a single tool on its own platform I'd rather several that I can rotate out to keep the batteries in use and not have to worry if the 1-2 batteries I have for the saw are charged or not. Now if it came or had with a corded adapter like the 120v saw I'd jump all over it as my worries about not having juice would go away and I'd know the saw would not become obsolete if the batteries become discontinued (but if they double down on the 120v saw as there flag ship that might never be an issue)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Help me out here, I have a 985(and 791 which I prefer, obviously no hammer), whats not to like about the 996 selector?

Also I'm trying to understand your logic, your willing to switch platforms while 

15 minutes ago, DPSElias said:

heavily invested in Dewalt

Because your unsure of Flexvolt?

Flexvolt expands on your existing tools without investing in a whole other line, I'd think the cost of changing platforms would far and away justify staying with DeWalt.  

• Like 1

Help me out here, I have a 985(and 791 which I prefer, obviously no hammer), whats not to like about the 996 selector?

Also I'm trying to understand your logic, your willing to switch platforms while 

Because your unsure of Flexvolt?

Flexvolt expands on your existing tools without investing in a whole other line, I'd think the cost of changing platforms would far and away justify staying with DeWalt.  

The 996 doesn't have the Hammer/Drill/clutch separate selector it's all on the clutch ring, it's very useful to turn the clutch on and off in seconds vs rotating the clutch ring around.

I'm not unsure of flexvolt, I'm vested in the 20V, I have drills, drivers, saws, and yard tools all running off one battery, if I got one flexvolt tool I'd have 1 tool that takes a special battery. I just don't see the difference of that vs just getting another platform that has a larger selection (it would be complimentary to my Dewalt, just like the flexvolt would be). My fear the flexvolt will go like there 24V line, as I bought the 24V circular saw and that line has gone extinct. Now if I was going to invest in the flexvolt line and have several batteries I'd have no issue, but I don't see myself replacing my DWS780 or my DWE7491RS And my 20V reciprocating saw is fine would I like brushless sure but I don't need to buy specific blades for it. Can I live with my 6.5? Sure but there are more blade options in the 7.25 platform.

• Like 1

Ah I see your point 985 vs 996, Personally I'd never notice any inconvenience as I never turn the clutch down on the big drill,  Big drill = Big holes/ and concrete, little drill = "delicate" work LOL 

I don't envision Flexvolt going the way of the dodo but at the same time I have no absolute need for anything in the lineup either, though its good to know IF I ever NEED them I'll have a compatible/complementary upgrade path.

Thanks for your insight.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DPSElias said:

Thanks for the information but unfortunately I not a huge fan of the Dewalt DCD996 as I like the function selector on my DCD985, if Dewalt would bring that back I'd be happy but I still don't want a special battery for my just my Circular saw, it would inevitably turn into switching to Milwaukee as I've already done so with my 12V. I am heavily invested in Dewalt but I'm not seeing the "flood" of tools from Dewalt and with the 60V line I'm just not sure what's going on.

I'm an avid DIYer and for this reason I don't want a single tool on its own platform I'd rather several that I can rotate out to keep the batteries in use and not have to worry if the 1-2 batteries I have for the saw are charged or not. Now if it came or had with a corded adapter like the 120v saw I'd jump all over it as my worries about not having juice would go away and I'd know the saw would not become obsolete if the batteries become discontinued (but if they double down on the 120v saw as there flag ship that might never be an issue)

I used to love the 985 and still do t switching to the 996 was great for me. The functionality has not made a difference to me and the worklamp is fantastic. Totally understand your reasoning for not getting into the 60v lineup, to each his own. I have found the batteries are killing it in my 20v tools but truthfully the only 60v tool I have is the cord saw and it is nice. Really nice. But, I can see why you have trepidation towards adding that lineup, they have several and after ending the 24v that was a a real killer but they have been devout in keeping their 18v line running for the 18v crowd so I am not to worried about another lineup. Heck, Milwaukee did the same thing not that long ago. But red, yellow, teal, green, great and white, fluorescent green....they are all good. Now blue and green.....that's a different story.

• Like 2

Yes I'm not worried about the 20v and it was there continued support of the 18v line is why I initially bought into it, after the 24V I'm a little Leary of abnormal platforms, as the 18/20v lines seems to be the standard now. If Dewalt double downs on the flexvolt I might jump in I just don't hope it's a fad and they don't expand the 20/60V lineup. I like the 120V plug in option and these high demand tools should all have this option even the Milwaukee cordless miter saw.

I see flexvolt as more a half platform change. On the one hand your not changing much cause it still works with the 20v stuff you already got but on the other hand if you wanna use the battery in 60v mode you gotta get new tools compatible with 60v. It's not a huge deal when you own 5 flexvolt batteries but if you only own 1 then it may be an issue. I would suggest ,if anyone is contemplating getting into flexvolt, starting with either the fixed miter or the sliding miter in the kit that comes with 2 batteries and cord adapter. It's nice because you get to try out the batteries but aren't restricted to them. I also heard that dewalt is working on a 60v cord adapter but it is more difficult to make because of the 60v to 120v conversion. If one comes out I could see more people converting going to flexvolt. I'm guessing it won't be coming out with their first quarter releases but I could at least see it revealed at their june event. 

• Like 1

FlexVolt isn't going away. The M18 HD9.0 isn't going away either. These are the building blocks of the next generation of cordless tools and the cornerstone of a cordless jobsite. You'll see at NPS'17 and Dewalt's 2017 media event how important these 15 cell packs are. FlexVolt especially supposedly has a wide variety of crazy stuff coming down the line. I'm personally waiting on a 10" 120v Max hybrid table saw. 

18v being a main Dewalt platform doesn't make sense. They are getting 0 new tools. They still exist to show the loyal Dewalt guys they aren't going to be dropped like a hot potato. Same reason M28 and 12v Max batteries are still available; guys still have the tools. Doesn't mean the lines aren't dead. 

I use dewalt corded saws framing houses every day....i have 3flexvolt saws ...they are as or more ,id say more powerful then the corded ones...only draw back is run time....cutting 2x10,2x4,2x6 plywood no problem . ..good runtime..prob 6 hrs...but...cutting diagonal like rafters or stair stringers or pressure treated wood ..mayb 3-4 hrs..but just switch out the battery and your good all day.....you Cannot use the 20v saw to frame... (have 2,love them)..not enough power...as in motor..doesnt matter if its brushless...only flexvolt can achieve that power.......btw the new Milwaukee brushless fuel 7/14 is not evan close to FLEXVOLT power....i have it....

• Like 2

Listen flexvolt is here to stay...i quarentee it...Milwaukee can not get the power out of 18v tools to match flexvolt..runtime yes for now.. (9ah).....just like makita lots of tools but not corded power...which is great ....if your diy you dont need flexvolt . ...dewalt will not make a adapter for a 60v circ saw...by a corded one.....its not complicated...if you want carpentry tools,mitre saw,tablesaw,framing guns,hanger guns,finish guns..etc...Dewalt is it....most tool reviews,rate dewalt guns number 1..paslode is also great just gotta buy fuel cells...

You can get runtime Anywhere....you can only get corded power at Dewalt....if Milwaukee puts a 40ah battery on the 18v circ saw it still will not have .....THE POWER OF DEWALT....oh and dewalt has 9ah and more batteties coming...

• Like 1

Well I guess I am in the minority, as it sound like as a DIYer I am not worthy of Flexvolt :) I am not looking for ultimate power (would like it but without a catch) I am looking for convenience and usability, having a different platform is just not ideal even if the batteries are backwards compatible, having a different platform for 1 tools is not convenient for a DIYer as I have had this and once that single battery goes or battery is dead your SOL. I have a Corded Circular saw but it's old and heavy and for some of the jobs I use it for that require a special blade that only comes in a 7 1/4 variant is a little cumbersome and cordless saws are usually much lighter than corded. 

I am not bashing flexvolt, but the "Pro-Sumer" Milwaukee has this market, is it the most powerful? maybe not, does it get the job done? yes, does the Flexvolt get the job done? yea. But it's still more convenient to have one battery for all your tools that one tool for a certain battery. I really like the idea of the Flexvolt and I'd of bought the sliding miter if I didn't just buy a 780 and I would of bought the circular saw with it.

Any before anyone says just get a back up battery, a single flexvolt battery is $149 on top of the $299 (no current special) which would be about the same as buying a Milwaukee kit with 2 tools and batteries plus saw (with current specials) I think getting 3 tools is better than 1.

The problem with comparing promos to regular price on different items is the pendulum swings both ways. Next month the "good value" will be the other way. The tools that use the M18 9.0 "can" use the standard XC packs but with less power, and the runtime isn't linear. The 9.0 generally gets more than twice the runtime as the 5.0 despite not being twice the amp hours. 

@midogrumpy the FlexVolt 3.0/9.0 is coming in Q1 '17, January by most accounts but if Milwaukee's 9.0 is anything to go by that could turn into September lol. 

50 minutes ago, Bremon said:

The problem with comparing promos to regular price on different items is the pendulum swings both ways. Next month the "good value" will be the other way......

I normally see Dewalt do free battery with kits, but does Dewalt ever do a free tool? I see free tool promo from Milwaukee quite frequency.

Regardless the main issue is the another small special platform, this is the same issue changing to Milwaukee or Flexvolt. I liked the 12v max line but that line has kind of fallen on it's face.

3 minutes ago, DPSElias said:

I normally see Dewalt do free battery with kits, but does Dewalt ever do a free tool? I see free tool promo from Milwaukee quite frequency.

Regardless the main issue is the another small special platform, this is the same issue changing to Milwaukee or Flexvolt. I liked the 12v max line but that line has kind of fallen on it's face.

They have done a few lately. they had the deal where you got a free tool(including some gen 2 xr stuff) with a 2 battery flexvolt kit. There was one where you got 2 free tools with a 5.0 2 battery starter kit. there was one where you got a free miter stand with saw purchase. Another is you buy DCK290L2 and you get a free tool or battery. All these are either going on now or have ended within the last 2 months.

@DPSElias

A quick check shows tool barn still shows the two free tools with 5.0Ah kit promo and the free tool with 290L2 drill/driver kit.  Depends what you're looking for.

also, additional 6.0Ah flexvolt batteries are commonly listed at $179 for a two-pack, no sense buying singles at $149 each.  

Seems like It's always been a two battery system for me- big batteries with the high draw tools (recip, circ, hammer drill) and compact batteries for smaller, low draw tools (LED light, multi-tool, screwdriver).

I found the combination of backward battery compatibility and full compatibility with 20v chargers enough for me to adopt flexvolt. I can still use the same charger(s) for all my gear, which is a plus.

• Like 1

Hi...DPS.....listen acme tools right now ...Flexvolt dcb606-2 ...two Flexvolt batteries at 179$...,then Dewalt code dew2016 for 25$ off....equals $154 ok...that's $77 per battery....,,you say both Milwaukee and Flexvolt saws get the job done,,,,Not true...watch the Milwaukee fuel saw bog down making diagonal cuts or cutting 6x6 or 4x6 posts or hardwoods.....all over "you tube"....Flexvolt does not bog down,,,so what does it matter if your in the same platform or not if the tool Does Not Do the Job....

........Also the Flexvolt Circ saw kit comes with a free 2nd battery...$299...no tax free shipping........what does it matter if you have One Battery for every tool ..If You Don't Have The Tools To Put The Battery in..???? 

.....Milwaukee battery for: 

Table Saw ? No

Powerful Circ Saw ? No

12" Mitre Saw ? No

Framing Gun ? No

Metal Connector Gun ? No

Great Finish Guns ? No

Many Many More.... I like Milwaukee,I have Milwaukee....if you want tools to just get the job done....there are many much less expensive options....Makita....Ridigid...Porter Cable...Kobalt...Ryobi (which I like,and have)!!!...All have good tools , you don't get the idea that when you want to put your One battery in a tool and wish that tool had more Power ..there is No Other Tool to put it in......that is the idea of Flexvolt....you may never need that power,BUT it is available When You Do Need It...and meanwhile enjoy the long runtime of the Flexvolt Batteries in ALL of your 20v max tools......

@DPSElias

A quick check shows tool barn still shows the two free tools with 5.0Ah kit promo and the free tool with 290L2 drill/driver kit.  Depends what you're looking for.

also, additional 6.0Ah flexvolt batteries are commonly listed at $179 for a two-pack, no sense buying singles at $149 each.  

Seems like It's always been a two battery system for me- big batteries with the high draw tools (recip, circ, hammer drill) and compact batteries for smaller, low draw tools (LED light, multi-tool, screwdriver).

I found the combination of backward battery compatibility and full compatibility with 20v chargers enough for me to adopt flexvolt. I can still use the same charger(s) for all my gear, which is a plus.

Thanks, I didn't see the twin pack that is a better deal, I'm not sure I want the 996 at the moment but do like the 887. I'll just wait and see what deals they might have for the flexvolt, but there doesn't seem to be any for the circular saw.

Side note what's with the shoe on the flexvolt saw? it looks a little cheesy and cheap, I like the magnesium shoe on my 20V better. Does it matter both get the job done but I'd expected a little more for a $300 saw.

I'll probably wait and see what other tools they bring out for the flexvolt line as currently the only thing I can see upgrading to is the 7 1/4 saw.

Hi...DPS.....listen acme tools right now ...Flexvolt dcb606-2 ...two Flexvolt batteries at 179$...,then Dewalt code dew2016 for 25$ off....equals $154 ok...that's $77 per battery....,,you say both Milwaukee and Flexvolt saws get the job done,,,,Not true...watch the Milwaukee fuel saw bog down making diagonal cuts or cutting 6x6 or 4x6 posts or hardwoods.....all over "you tube"....Flexvolt does not bog down,,,so what does it matter if your in the same platform or not if the tool Does Not Do the Job....

........Also the Flexvolt Circ saw kit comes with a free 2nd battery...$299...no tax free shipping........what does it matter if you have One Battery for every tool ..If You Don't Have The Tools To Put The Battery in..???

.....Milwaukee battery for: 

Table Saw ? No

Powerful Circ Saw ? No

12" Mitre Saw ? No

Framing Gun ? No

Metal Connector Gun ? No

Great Finish Guns ? No

Many Many More.... I like Milwaukee,I have Milwaukee....if you want tools to just get the job done....there are many much less expensive options....Makita....Ridigid...Porter Cable...Kobalt...Ryobi (which I like,and have)!!!...All have good tools , you don't get the idea that when you want to put your One battery in a tool and wish that tool had more Power ..there is No Other Tool to put it in......that is the idea of Flexvolt....you may never need that power,BUT it is available When You Do Need It...and meanwhile enjoy the long runtime of the Flexvolt Batteries in ALL of your 20v max tools......

I'm not sure if you are reading my previous posts or not, but I have a DWS780 so if I'm cutting posts I'll use that and do it quicker than a circular saw, I'm not a contractor like you, I buy the best professional grade tools for my needs, and my circular saws are mainly used for smaller jobs, like a quick 2 by and single sheet cuts, if I need repeatability I use my 780, if I need to rip with accuracy and repeatability I use my 7491, I'm not a contractor so literally live at my job site so I'm not lugging these tools around.

Most of your points are noted and valid, but my main reason is I want to use standard blades, example is I have a fiber cement blade which does not come in 6 1/2, will the Milwaukee get the job done yes. If I was a contractor like yourself I'd buy the most powerful saw as time is money and from what I see that is the flexvolt, but my needs of ultimate power and convince are weighed differently than you, and the inconvenience on having a special battery for a single tool weighs heavily for my needs. If I'm going to have 3 platforms I'd like my next one to have and extensive selection or a combination of the right tools that I need. And as I said in my previous post the only tool I'm looking at in the flexvolt lineup is the saw, and there are several recent M18 tools besides the saw I wouldn't mind getting eventually or wait to see if Dewalt expands their 20/60V lines.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ya...dps..don't follow your logic at all..".isn't 3 tools better than one" yes and 6 ryobi tools for$ 249 is Evan better....you say corded Circ Saw is heavy so you want to go cordless....but a Dewalt corded circ Saw weighs 8.7 lbs...the Milwaukee fuel cordless circ  Saw weighs 9lbs....the Robi corded circ saw is 8lbs...? Ryobi has a huge platform for DIY....corded or cordless and some cordless tools other companies don't have...if price is a concern as it seems......

.....many fiber cement blades in 61/2.   Ex. Milwaukee 48-40-4005 fiber cement blade 61/2"...if you want Milwaukee that's great,it a good company ..good tools....Rigid has better deals then Milwaukee....but only one company is the best........DEWALT