Bosch VS Milwaukee Brushless 18v Impact Speed Challenge

Javier

Thanks Javier, results as expected for me.

Its a little disappointing that the first impact drivers to have a socket anvil is easily beaten in the types of application which would use one, but oh well. still a great little tool.

• Like 2

Thanks Javier, results as expected for me.

Its a little disappointing that the first impact drivers to have a socket anvil is easily beaten in the types of application which would use one, but oh well. still a great little tool.

Yeah it is weird the bosch with the 1/2 socket drive doesn't have more power. Maybe they did it on purpose as I'm sure they could add more power, maybe even add a switch so you can have more power with the 1/2" drive but my guess is that idiots would take advantage of that and use it for the hex chuck and be upset when all their screws end up snapping, just a guess though

it was the same story with the previous (brushed) hybrid. I loved the idea, but was disappointed that my dewalt smoked it with lag screws. especially since Bosch have high torque claims and have liked to talk about the 'torque losses' associated with use of an adapter.

Thanks FrankieGarcia

@ Dwain, what makes the results more interesting is that the m18 used an adaptor for the larger 1/2 lag while the Bosch used no adaptor for the socket. So the m18 still had the edge even with the adaptor

That's why I went with the speed test to make it fair. At first I wanted to see who had better runtime but I couldn't do that with the difference in battery size.

Both Bosch and Milwaukee advertise the same stats regardless of battery size for these impacts so the performance is the same

That's why I went with the speed test to make it fair. At first I wanted to see who had better runtime but I couldn't do that with the difference in battery size.

Both Bosch and Milwaukee advertise the same stats regardless of battery size for these impacts so the performance is the same

Your "speed" test is pulling alot of amps from the packs, and that gives the bigger pack the upper hand.

To put it more clearly, not only do batteries have an amp hour rating for capacity, they also have one for discharge rates.  That fat pack will handle twice the discharge rate of a slim pack

Guest John Xiong

I believe that the results would've been the same even with the 4 amp hour battery. Milwaukee loaded their driver with a very high impacts per minute rate and that makes the most difference i've seen in my experience as far as speed over torque and rpm. Great video by the way Javier.

Your "speed" test is pulling alot of amps from the packs, and that gives the bigger pack the upper hand.

To put it more clearly, not only do batteries have an amp hour rating for capacity, they also have one for discharge rates.  That fat pack will handle twice the discharge rate of a slim pack

Hi Mike. I've heard this theory before but have never seen any proof (mathematical or empirical). Can you provide any?

I suppose many of us could compare certain activities (i.e. lag bolts with impact driver) with different size batteries (on the same skin) and time it.... maybe i will.

I don't think that the tools draw enough amperage to make a difference. If it was a high draw tool such as a recip saw or circ saw it would definitely make a difference. I don't know how many amps the motors draw but i think the compact batteries can handle an 80 amp max draw. I don't think an impact driver can draw near that much. If someone could find how many amps the motors draw we could figure out the answer.