Should they just pull the plug on Sears?

DR99

sears here is a dead horse as well.....what used to be a full exciting place to shop is full of echo's now won't be long..... seems like less and less as time goes on.....I think they are just selling off stock and not re stocking.....one day a liquidator will most likely come in and buy it out @10 cents on the dollar

• Like 1

Our local Sears (small store) closed a while back, but the next town over had a large full sears complete with Automotive center. Now it's closed also, just the automotive center is open. They do have a small selection of tools. I was able to warranty a socket there.

Now that their tools are made in china I think the craftsman brand is done for.

1 hour ago, comp56 said:

sears here is a dead horse as well.....what used to be a full exciting place to shop is full of echo's now won't be long..... seems like less and less as time goes on.....I think they are just selling off stock and not re stocking.....one day a liquidator will most likely come in and buy it out @10 cents on the dollar

I think you are right. My Sears keeps getting less and less inventory every time I go there. I think Sears days are numbered. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JimboS1ice said:

Should have never joined with kmart

Jimbo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think that saved Sears from bankruptcy. I want them to stay in business and selling tools as long as they are giving me $10 coupons and $20(or more) worth of points every couple of weeks. They definitely need to bring in more(or start carrying) Wiha, Wera, Felo, Milwaukee, Fluke, etc.. that would definitely save them from bankruptcy. :D

• Like 2

Crazy thing Kmart bought sears. The big thing is they are both retailers that didn't invest and change with the times quick enough. If I was Sears I would have invested big into Amazon when they started to take off, or went big online sooner. The problem is some Sears stores look so massive they look empty now. They need to downsize to look full and exciting to be honest a sears should be maybe twice the size of a big Home Depot.

It is a sad story. I remember as a kid my father and grandfather buying everything from Sears, from craftsman tools to clothes. Craftsman tools in our house were a thing of pride. 

Although they may not be around in the near future I am born and raised in Chicago and will always call it the Sears Tower.

• Like 2

Yea it is sad, craftsman was the tool to have when I was a kid, and now that you mention it Jason I do remember Kmart buying Sears but Kmart was on the verge of dying too... Not sure how that company stays afloat anymore

Jimbo

Close the doors.  It's weird because the headquarters is right down the street from me and always see a ton of open positions for the corporate office.  However about a mile away, the Sears store closed last year.  Go figure.  It's amazing what they did to Sears.  From building homes and owning the world, to a dead company.  

• Like 2

Close the doors.  It's weird because the headquarters is right down the street from me and always see a ton of open positions for the corporate office.  However about a mile away, the Sears store closed last year.  Go figure.  It's amazing what they did to Sears.  From building homes and owning the world, to a dead company.  

We got about a dozen Sears homes in my town

Jimbo

8 hours ago, Eric - TIA said:

Makes sense that they have a hard time filling positions who wants to join a company that is circling the drain. I think that's a relatively new campus too. It's kinda how capitalism works if you can't adapt you die companies have a hard time making it over 100 years for the most part unless your company so diverse it can handle some of your market vanishing. Sears made a bunch of blunders but they really should have launched a HD/Lowes style store in the 80's. Kmart did with builders square but they didn't keep it very long it was sold off and closed not that long afterwards. Department stores and malls in general except high end places haven't been doing well for years.

8 hours ago, JimboS1ice said:

Yea it is sad, craftsman was the tool to have when I was a kid, and now that you mention it Jason I do remember Kmart buying Sears but Kmart was on the verge of dying too... Not sure how that company stays afloat anymore

Jimbo

Yea, lots of drama back then locally as Kmart was a local Detroit area company back then. I don't know how Kmart managed to do that with their finances, but they were able to buy Sears. I haven't been inside a Sears in years.

8 hours ago, Eric - TIA said:

Thanks for pointing that out Eric. Just down the street from me, maybe a 1/4 mile is an awesome ice cream stand in an old but really cute house. The house next to that is similar, and really cute. Both house? Sears kit houses!

• Like 1

I think Sears could be rebooted into almost of a Menard's type place. They sell pretty much everything at that store.  That would be my take on trying to make the store work in the 2016' because I doubt Seers will be doing past 2020

If I recall correctly; Kmart was bought by an investment group then they almost immediately bought Sears. The main reason, I believe, they bought Sears was the land they own. Sears owns the land every Sears is on, so imagine how many malls they own a part of...that's huge value.

I think the name assets Sears has is another asset that they saw in the company. Lands End would probably do well at Target or Walmart, it just sounds familiar. Diehard is a well known brand. Craftsman is probably the most iconic tool brand in the US, not everyone knows Snap-on but EVERYONE knows Craftsman. I've always hoped that someone would buy Craftsman and return it to a premium company, or even a solid tool brand...but it will probably be bought and used like Stanley or Husky at a big box store.

• Like 1

We still have a K-mart near us, but it's not what it used to be either. No matter who bought who, two struggling companies joined forces to become one very large turd going down the drain. I don't think they can be saved, they've lost their reputation with the American public.